What is this ‘celebrity crush’ you speak of?

Perilous Poozer

Perilous Poozer

This seems to be a perennially popular topic on ace FB pages. Personally I cannot relate - I do not and never have experienced crushes on celebrities, major or minor. It bums me out a little tbh! Anyone else?

I have celebrity squishes- I want to sit down over coffee and discuss life with them. But, as far as crushes go- nope...

When I was a kid the girls would cut out pics of their celebrity crushes from Teen Bop magazine, or whatever it was, and glue them into scrap books. They would carry them around and show each other at recess. I did not relate. Partly because I wasn't familiar with pop culture, and partly because I never had crushes like that. 

Perilous Poozer

See also: “What do you find attractive in a person?”

Again, they pop up in ace community threads quite often and it makes me feel a like some sort of robotic outlier, bah.

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

Up until now, I have never experience having a crush on a celebrity.

I do have a small crush on the singer Amara La Negra, but I'm not even sure it's even a crush. I think it may be sensual attraction.

My "celebrity crushes" are so different from my crushes on people I actually know that I wouldn't call them crushes. They're more like a strong aesthetical attraction that has me seeking out other works and maybe articles about or interviews with the person so that I can admire whatever it is I like about them. I don't get them much though.

arekathevampyre
2 hours ago, OpenAce said:

I have celebrity squishes- I want to sit down over coffee and discuss life with them.

Same !!

I don't understand the concept of a celebrity crush. It seems strange to me that you could have a crush on someone you've never met 

2 hours ago, dragon_nerd said:

I don't understand the concept of a celebrity crush. It seems strange to me that you could have a crush on someone you've never met 

That's why it's aesthetical attraction for me. I do get something like crushes on fictional characters because in a way I have met them (as in I know their personalities).

5 hours ago, skyedive said:

My "celebrity crushes" are so different from my crushes on people I actually know that I wouldn't call them crushes. They're more like a strong aesthetical attraction that has me seeking out other works and maybe articles about or interviews with the person so that I can admire whatever it is I like about them. I don't get them much though.

Same, its kinda an appreciation of them...

chameleon2646

Celebrity crushes are awesome. I've spent very little time in my life without one, currently it's Marcus Lemonis from CNBC's The Profit.  It's more about the message that the person stands for that forms the attraction, though I am very much physically attracted to Marcus, his personality and his philosophy on being honest and ethical in business is what really makes me weak in the knees.  ☺

As a teen I used to have lots of celebrity crushes, but mostly actors playing fictional characters, where the emotional connection was all in my imagination (of course).   Nowadays, there are celebrities that I find attractive, but not to the extent of a crush.

Most of my friends had celebrity crushes when we were younger, to the point where they would sit down as a group to make lists and rank who was the most attractive. I never really understood it and found it very alienating, just sitting there quietly waiting for the conversation to move onto another topic.

Galactic Turtle

I never know what people mean by celebrity crush. I'm a pretty intense fangirl. The people I stan I also hold as role models. I follow and support all their activities as well but even amongst many of my fellow K-pop stans who happen to be heterosexual, even they don't describe wanting to be in a relationship with these idols. We just like seeing them happy and continuing to achieve more and more success. 

On the other hand my older sister said she was only a fan of the Backstreet Boys because she thought Nick was hot so... I suppose there are different kinds of fans. :P  

On yet another hand my heterosexual K-pop stan friends also describe some of the dreams they have about idols so.... maybe once again I'm the odd one out. @__@  Nevertheless, I do think a big part of fan culture is the admiration of people that isn't necessarily romantic or sexual in nature. 

i do develop crushes not on actors or such but on musicians and singers i like so my list of celebrity crushes is basically similar to my list of  singers i like. this crush i put to the happiness and elation i feel whenever i put on an album of theirs

questioningmyself

I thought I had celebrity crushes, but I realized that I like the fictional characters more. Like Jensen Ackles. I don't see him as Jensen, I see him as Dean Winchester. Or in any other scenario, I see them as the character they played and have a hard time differentiating their real persona versus their fictional one. I guess its the same with singers. I like who they are, or how they look, but I wouldn't cut out pics of them and show them around. I'm not going to turn into a blushing bride, if you will, if I ran into Min Yoongi on the streets tomorrow.

I hardly ever get celebrity crushes. I don't know what celebrity crushes are like, but for me, when I have what I sometimes call a crush (so other people will understand), I experience intense, anxiety-inducing obsession with them. That doesn't happen much with people I don't know in real life or online. I did have an obsession with a band once, but it didn't really involve wanting to know all their songs and everything about them in the typical way, just irrational obsession with them. 

Strange But Not a Stranger

I've had a couple of celebrity crushes. They just happen(ed). One of them is sort of everlasting, lmao, and in some ways special. The others were/are just idk... obsessions, that either lasted for a few weeks or maybe a year or two. 

I don't know why they happen(ed). I have always been more prone to crushing on a celebrity than on "real life people". Perhaps it's because it's "safe". It's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

Perhaps it's childish/immature to have these romantic feelings for a famous person for someone my age, but I am happy with it. I think that's the most important thing. :)

14 minutes ago, Fifi123 said:

I don't know why they happen(ed). I have always been more prone to crushing on a celebrity than on "real life people". Perhaps it's because it's "safe".

Same. It's oddly reassuring that they have no idea I even exist. I can admire them from a distance without worrying that they'll notice.

My celeb crushes tend to result in me seeking out all their content. Like I went through a phase when I watched a ton of Jeremy Renner movies right after the 1st Avengers movie came out. Or getting into star trek simply because Benedict cumberbatch was in the movie. Not "omg, I want to be with them", but" I need more of this" even if it's not something I'd normally watch. I do the same thing with authors, too, going on a spree of reading everything some author wrote and then not touching their books for years. It seems like I have cycles of binging and famine with stuff like that.

Archived