"Asexual singer writes emotional post about being queer in South Korea"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/asexual-k-pop/#gs.Sjd=7bM

18 December 2017

K-Pop star Hansol has spoken about being queer in South Korea in an emotional Instagram post.

Hansol came out as asexual in August.

He was previously a member of K-Pop group ToppDogg. His real name is Kim Han-sol.

The singer posted on Instagram on 15 December talking about being LGBTI.

Hansol starts his Instagram post by explaining: ‘To be honest, I don’t think South Korea’s very familiar with the queer identity.

‘People under the queer umbrella, which represents a lot of different sexualities, hide the fact, fight it, or don’t worry about it.

‘Even though this is the truth, there are still people who want to erase their existence ironically.’

The South Korean Supreme Court made an important step forward for LGBTI rights in early August.

With the ruling they ordered the government to allow the Beyond the Rainbow Foundation to legally register as a charity.

The ruling came the same day as the news that the South Korean government was planning reviewing its ban on gay soldiers in the military.

Hansol continued: ‘It’s just a human loving a human, and I think it’s disappointing that they need everyone else’s consent and that they become oppressed in society because they’re different.

‘To be honest, there was no need to officially post my subjective thought, but I’m now going to carefully express my thoughts on the matter.’

Queer

Hansol spoke about wishing there was no need for the word ‘queer’ to exist.

‘I wondered how wonderful the world could be if everyone was free to love anyone under the law, so there would be no need for the word “queer,”‘ Hansol added.

The singer wrote: ‘A lot of people wondered about my queer identity, and I wrote about it because I wanted to encourage those who were looking for answers from me. I always say that I don’t have all the answers.’

Hansol explain that he still doesn’t ‘know the answer’ when it comes to his own sexual and romantic identity.

He explained that he let’s people ‘judge from what they see with their own eyes’ but that doesn’t mean he is trying to hide his identity.

The rest of the post reads: ‘I love myself a lot, so I don’t get hurt by those who hate me because of my sexuality.

‘I’m not attracted to the opposite sex, yet I’m not attracted to the same sex either. I never bothered to date.

‘I hate sex very much. This is me, and this reality is what’s good and enjoyable to me.’

Hansol has 120,000 followers on Instagram.

His message to his LGBTI fans was: ‘Gain strength and enjoy your life and have fun. Don’t listen to others. You’re the most important and precious.’

Archived