Popularity of AVEN with Sexual People

Pramana

A lot of people (ace or not) probably just joined for information or whatever and stuck around cause chat/arcade/discussing random things/... is fun. I definitely did. 

I'm aromantic but not ace, and this site has a lot of people I feel comfortable talking about my experiences with. Plus I don't. think I would have ever gone to an ace meetup irl without engaging on this site first and finding it so positive and the community from meetups has been fantastic.

I am probably one of those "sexuals" now, tbh. I used to ID as ace, because for 30 years I never wanted a sexual relationship and was miserable trying to make things work with people who did. However, I figured out I just don't like traditional sexual relationships.

I stay because I can offer perspectives from both sides and help new people and mixed couples. I also stay because sometimes there are interesting conversations. I'm nowhere near as active as I used to be though. 

Honestly, I don't know if it makes a difference if someone on here identifies as a sexual versus a specific kind of sexual. My partner is describing themselves as a sexual right now to everyone even though they're decidedly queer. They don't have a profile on here, but they do read posts on here a lot, mostly to understand the viewpoints of other asexuals other than me. Personally, I like the idea of sexuals interacting with people on here and learning things because that means there are more informed sexuals in the world who hopefully don't treat any asexuals they know in real life like tokens. 

17 hours ago, Stheg said:

My partner is describing themselves as a sexual right now to everyone even though they're decidedly queer.

This is why I hate labels so much, helpful as they are in the context of a like-minded community. :lol:

There are many shades of sexual.

I've been here since I was 15. I dunno what I'm adding to the conversation but there you go 

I joined because I’m on the aromantic spectrum. Arocalypse was the only other option and it’s fuckin’ dead, my people. 

• 1 month later...

I'm sometimes here because I sometimes read books and type out the titles of them in the what you've recently read thread or whatever exactly it's called.  I'm a pretty boring person so I don't contribute much.

But you know, people seem cool here.  Nice people.

I am a sexual person but here because I am married to someone who has some characteristics / behaviors / feelings that are consistent with being asexual, even though they sometimes want sex.   Its only fairly recently that I recognized that this was not at all unique.  I had been under the impression that in the right circumstances basically everyone wanted sex. 

On 12.1.2018 at 1:45 PM, ChillaKilla said:

I joined because I’m on the aromantic spectrum. Arocalypse was the only other option and it’s fuckin’ dead, my people. 

↑ that too. 

Like Serran, I discovered I was sexual only after being on AVEN for years and identifying as asexual. Now I sometimes attempt to use that to help and exchange information because I feel I understand both sides from experience, though I’m often fearful of getting in trouble for it. Also like fish, I was already part of the community. I stayed for things like chat. AVEN is part of my day. It’s often toxic but I don’t have anything to fill the gap. There’s many reasons sexuals are on AVEN and I believe they will only increase with visibility of asexuality. (Partners/family/friends of aces looking for information, oldies who no longer identify as asexual, aromantics, etc. It’s easier to find AVEN when you know what you’re looking for.) 

Archived