How does income correlate to asexuality?

LittleGoody2Shoes

LittleGoody2Shoes

Do you think that asexuals are more likely to be wealthy or poor? Explain your reasoning.

LittleGoody2Shoes

Please explain.

swirl_of_blue

IF asexuality has an effect, it could very well be different in different countries. For example, if asexuals are less likely to have children (or at leas on average have fewer children), the impact would be bigger in countries where raising children is more expensive and smaller in countries where the upkeep of having children is smaller (for example due to lower costs of childcare). And this is only one way of looking at it. I personally would throw my guess at asexuals, especially aroaces (who might be more likely to be single and/or childless), being a bit richer on average because of no need to use their income on anything but themselves. Though, living with a partner generally makes the cost of living per person lower, so that would have to be factored in as well and would have an opposite effect...

I give up. Too complicated.

• Like 1
LittleGoody2Shoes

I was thinking maybe asexuals were more devoted to careers because they spent less time dating.

WinterWanderer

I don't think there is a correlation. The only thing I can think of is that a correlation might show up statistically speaking, if people with a higher income are more likely to have regular internet access, and therefore are more likely to learn about asexuality than people who have a low income. But that's probably unlikely, because the internet has become more accessible to people of low income. 

It does make sense that people who don't date would devote  more time to their careers. But there are plenty of aces who date. And besides a career, there are other aspects of life to which aces may devote their time. Like hobbies, pets, and friendships. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, LittleGoody2Shoes said:

I was thinking maybe asexuals were more devoted to careers because they spent less time dating.

What makes you think that?

• Like 1
Janus the Fox

If basing it similarly on the pay and job gaps between straight and gay communities, well one problem is that if asexuality was widely known as homosexuality is, how would the jobs market and working culture react to a populace that usually has no sex/no sexual attraction? it's a big unknown so I think asexuals would have the same opportunities as the general public.

Asexuals are no different to others otherwise, aces have no more free time than any other group, are the same intellect, same potential to have the same income, qualifications and experiences than anyone else.

• Like 3
On 1/4/2018 at 11:28 AM, LittleGoody2Shoes said:

No.  Some asexuals date.  Some asexuals have relationships.  Some asexuals have children.   Some  asexuals have post-university education.  Some asexuals have no post-high-school education.  Some asexuals work in high-income professions.  Some asexuals work in low-income jobs.  

• Like 1
Taylor Lilith
On 1/4/2018 at 12:28 PM, LittleGoody2Shoes said:

I left the possibility of a high paying degree, partially, to be around more people.  None of which I would be willing to ever date.  Aces are people and as such we are all different.  I'm not a person that shelters themselves inside all day.  I love people.  I am a huge extrovert.  I am very much the life of the party.  I could have been making $150k a year starting salary but I chose probably max of $30k because i love people that darned much.  A sex repulsed ace chose people over a career ... go figure.  It's almost like stereotyping is a mistake er something.

~To address the original topic of this thread~

Finance has no effect on the following, your gender, your sexuality .....

Finance has the effect on the following, you're ability to pay for sh*t

Finance and money is a social construct.  Humans made it up.  It can't really effect anything other than your ability to pay for sh*t.  Other social constructs such as gender and race can effect your finances.  That means your gender is effecting your finances.  Minorities are generally poor due to persecution.  Money doesn't make minorities.  Minorities make less money.  

I dunno what you are thinking but I am guessing you have cause and effect reversed in your head somewhere.

• Like 1

The topic of this thread really ought to be "does income relate to asexuality." Jumping to an assumed outcome is bad science, and correlation does not equal causation, anyhow. 

Further, "dedication to a career" is a poor metric of financial status. I could be a part-time neurosurgeon and make more than a full-and-a-half time organic creek clay sculptor. Or, for the sake of less extremes, I could be a full time computer programmer and make more than a kindergarten teacher. 

Finally, not dating does not mean you aren't interested in investing in your people. 

• Like 2
On ‎04‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 8:28 PM, LittleGoody2Shoes said:

15 hours ago, Sally said:

No.  Some asexuals date.  Some asexuals have relationships.  Some asexuals have children.   Some  asexuals have post-university education.  Some asexuals have no post-high-school education.  Some asexuals work in high-income professions.  Some asexuals work in low-income jobs.  

Exactly.

Also I'd like to say just because someone is not dating doesn't make them more obliged for work and/or for having a Job with an enormous income. They simply might like to spend their time gaming/slouching the whole day off/maybe even writing fanfiction, dunno.

It's pretty difficult to make generalizations I guess.

Taylor Lilith
4 minutes ago, Bibus said:

They simply might like to spend their time gaming/slouching the whole day off/maybe even writing fanfiction, dunno.

Or talking to as many people as they possibly can.

But yeah, pretty much agreed.

I think a lot of stereotyping developed when we would see a sabretooth tiger with slightly shorter teeth than the next one.  If you stopped to think "maybe this one won't eat me because it's teeth or smaller" you would probably be dead.  So all predators were dangerous.  It's just that now we apply them to races, nations, sexuality, genders etc.  Our brains are hardwired to do it, it's just now pretty much irrelevant and damaging. 

Someone says they're

Trans

Cis

Agender

Gay

Ace

Conservative

Liberal

etc.

You shouldn't stereotype and assume who they are based on a label.  You should ask, "and how does that work for you?". Because no human is the same and you should never assume that based on a single word.