How I dealt with Depression

thedemiace

Depression is a serious mental health disease that is sometimes silent, and even present without one being unaware. I know this because it was present in my life, and maybe reappears from time to time. It is a topic that I really like to discuss because it helps people, and because is now being thrown out of normalization so others can be aware of the issue. The problem is what people without this disease, or popular culture try to handle it. For instance, popular culture starts by this pseudo-positive attitude of consumerism, and ignores the medical knowledge of what is even depression. Some examples are like "Go out!", "Join a gym!", "Get friends!", or "Buy X-thing!". Does it piss me of? Yes. However, from someone that has been depressed, I do try to think how I can help those that currently are.

1) You MUST go to a health professional! Anyone has heard this, then why I wrote it here? That is because it's the must important, and even sometimes difficult thing to do. Why difficult? One symptomatic thought of depression is to think one is a burden to others, or even the fear of public opinion. Culturally, going to a health professional is seen as if someone is mentally weak by others, at least in the USA, or that one is insane. The first action one has to do is to throw out or ignore these kind of people, even if they are friends of family members. Another action that has to do, which is more complicate, is ignore those negative thoughts that are constantly in your own mind. Choosing the health professional can also be gradual. For instance, I started with a counselor that my University provided. He sort of helped me, but I saw that wasn't enough. I then turned to a psychologist, who did helped me greatly; however, I also saw it wasn't enough for me. Finally, I turned to a psychiatrist that did help me via medication. YES, MEDICATION IS NEEDED! You can also take natural supplements, but sometimes medications are needed.

2) Join social organizations as they can help you either by being distracted to even develop yourself. These organizations can be religious, spiritual, community-based, or interest-based, or even a fraternity or sorority. These can help you on refuting your negative thoughts of being a burden, and even feel needed by others. For instance, I joined a fraternity known as Freemasonry. This fraternity helped me on feeling better known that I was now a fraternal brother. They also help communities, and do charity. This helps me feel that I am part of an organization that helps others, and that I can count on some people if I need help. Moreover, this fraternity is quite spiritual, and tries to help you develop into a better person. However, this doesn't have to be your choice. Others have chosen religious groups, or any other. Also, REMEMBER THAT THESE WILL ALSO BE A TRIAL AND ERROR! Before joining this fraternity, I chose religious organization and student associations. These didn't work for me, but that doesn't mean it won't for you. Just note that if you feel empty, or see that is not doing nothing positive for you, then you must try another organization that does help.

3) Exercise and Meditation are two ways to deal with depression. Exercise helps you physically, physiologically, and psychologically. Physically because you will have more stamina, and better constitution. Physiologically, exercise helps increase the level of some hormones that will make you more active, like norepinephrine and steroids. Psychologically as it can improve your self-steem. Meditation, while some see it as a religious act, it's not. It is in fact used to control your thoughts, and it also has physiological effects that are positive for you. For instance, it has been demonstrated that meditation stimulates neurons in a way that they are more flourishing, which can help in the communication of other neurons.

This has been the way I have dealt with depression, especially #1 and #2. If you have questions then please ask; or, also other ideas on how you dealt with depression then please share. I hope this kind of helped.

These are all pretty common suggestions.
I do find that everyone deals with depression differently, and medications and therapy don't work for everyone.

Joining groups doesn't help everyone either.
The brain is incredibly complex, and everyone is different. Different combinations help different people, or affect them, in completely opposite ways. I had terrible clinical depression for seven consecutive years, went through intensive treatment, four different medications, and almost died from the last one's reaction (was hospitalized under the first two).
Medications don't work for me.
What worked for me, personally, was saying 'screw that' to therapy, and quitting.
Clearly, this isn't typical. But everyone is different, and one thing won't work for everyone.

Beyond that, diet and exercise is a universal 'DUH', but every depressed person on the face of the earth knows they should eat well, get moving, sleep. It isn't a matter of not wanting to do it, it's a matter of not being able to.

ALSO:

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
(There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.
On 12/29/2017 at 12:04 AM, OldSoul said:

I do find that everyone deals with depression differently, and medications and therapy don't work for everyone.

This.  You have to find what works best for you.  What works best for someone else might not work best for you.  Don't feel bad if something doesn't work.  Also, be patient.  Finding the correct way to deal with your depression can take time. 

One particular suggestion not mentioned that I'm an advocate of: pets and/or plants.  However, only get a pet if you know you are in a mental place where you can take care of it.  But if you are, they can be very theraputic.

Lastly, don't blame yourself for your depression.  It is a problem with chemicals in your brain.  Just because you objectively think you should be happy or be able to handle something doesn't change that.  The depression is not your fault.  You are brave for seeking help and doing what you need to do for you.

I have a very very old dog, who has been with me through it all.
He is my very best friend, and the only one that can stop the shaking.

Plants are nice, too. I have at least 50 potted plants in my home: 20 in the bay window alone. Keeping things green can really help with seasonal depression.

After the reaction to my final medication, I have had a pronounced stutter, particularly when I get nervous. I would never try another medication for any reason. "YES, MEDICATION IS NEEDED!" in the original post warranted a giant eye-roll from me. I, actually, prefer not to die, thank-you-very-much. [The entire thing had a pretty condescending vibe, and read pretty presumptuous to me].

I do work out quite a lot, get into nature, and spend time with my dog. "then you must try another organization that does help." peeved me in the OP. I'm an introvert. That sort of thing is completely useless and draining to me. I see my family often, and see a friend about once a week. That is WELL enough for me.

I never tell people what will work for them, because there is zero way for me to know. What I can say, is what has worked for me, and it isn't what that original post said whatsoever. Every single person is vastly different.

Hi! :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts about coping with depression; I'm sure it might helps others here. I remember seeing a thread for those with depression to discuss it in the Intersectionality Forum, too, if anyone's looking for more help.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why a couple people were attacking the OP, they were clearly only trying to help and had some good, clear suggestions. 

I'm trying medication soon, but in the meantime, what helps me I guess is remembering to breathe (I have anxiety worse than depression, but they feed off each other) and breathing exercises, also I have a journal of things to tell myself and remind myself when I'm feeling low, basically reminding myself that I'm okay and I'm enough. Also staying busy and not allowing myself to isolate since I'm naturally social and isolation rooted from depression can be awful for me. So forcing myself to call people and make plans even when I don't feel like it has helped me greatly. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Celyn: The Lutening

OP was awesome. But I think you have to be ready to get better (and I'm NOT NOT NOT saying that depression is a choice because it isn't, I know that because I have it). 

For me I had always been depressed and thought it was who I was and it took me to get to the point where it was literally life and death to seek help. Now I know it was not my personality, it was caused by neurotransmitter imbalance, really crappy upbringing, and gender issues. Zoloft and therapy = nearly cured.

TL:DR Nobody is a depressive personality. At least be open to getting help.

P.S. Probs does need moving to Intersectionality

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck
On 30/12/2017 at 8:11 AM, OldSoul said:

Keeping things green can really help with seasonal depression.

I can half-jokingly say this is why green is my colour of choice and why my hairfalls are green :D

and all in all, I agree with the whole context of that post. I think it explains why I feel much better at spring and summer when everything around is naturally green. my depression tends to get severe sometimes, though, and then plants don't help as much as they usually do. thankfully I respond well to medication.

Archived