Do you like to drink alcohol?

Georgetown

My relationship with alcohol is complicated. Alcohol abuse runs in my extended family, so I grew up in a 100% dry household with both my parents actively detesting alcohol. Combine that with the skeletons I once had in my closet (regarding gender) that I feared could slip out, and I just didn't want to touch the stuff. When my childhood friends started drinking, I often found myself the only sober person in the room, and I didn't like dealing with them when they were drunk, so my opinion of alcohol wasn't quite the peachiest.

That said, my views on alcohol evolved a bit living on my own and becoming more comfortable in my own skin. I've studied abroad in Austria and Cuba, so I've seen drinking cultures outside of the US. I remember my Austrian host family biking to the next city over just to buy this wine they love, so I accepted a glass when they offered. In Cuba, most the drinks were too strong for me since they're primarily rum-based, but one place actually had sangria, and I ended up buying some because it tasted so rad. I'll never be a fan of binge drinking, but I'm pretty cool with drinking in moderation.

I've only gotten drunk once, and that was from my attempt to figure out my alcohol tolerance. Can't say that passing my limits was all that pleasant, even if I didn't get a hangover. That said, I was always paranoid about accidentally getting drunk, so knowing my limits makes me feel more comfortable enjoying the alcoholic drinks that I like. (Heck, I recently got some alcoholic chocolates that I'm looking forward to eating :P)

• Like 1

I have an addictive personality. It is with an eating disorder but I'm not stupid enough to think it cannot transfer over to other acts. So I really try to stay away from drink. At the very most I may have a bottle of cider at Christmas or a special occasion and that's it.

That and getting drunk is not good for me. As I am my mood ranges from numb to anxious and that swing gets even more abrupt and manic if I am drunk.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, I don't drink. I like to have full control over my mind and body. Moreover I prefer soft drinks, because they taste better ;p.

I don't drink. The few times I've tried alcohol, I didn't like it.

Janus the Fox

I've been gradually more and more unable to enjoy a drink at all, including not being all to able to enjoy any food or drink, hopefully this time round the new doc cannot say I'm an alcoholic to attend Alcoholic Anonymous and lose weight this time round without drinking or no where being overweight, despite having a b-vitamin complex deficiently and high iron proteins.  Please. Investigate. Further this time round

I also don't drink, but I think it's more a result of my upbringing and personality then my asexuality. I grew up in a conservative household and alcohol was grouped with drugs and considered "bad", on occasion my mom would have one glass of wine at social events but nothing more. 

This coupled with my extreme perfectionism and fear of failure and getting drunk and "losing control" sounds like a nightmare to me. 

I'm 22 and the most I've had is a half a glass of wine, never even been close to "buzzed" let alone drunk. It used to embarrass me more in high school but now I don't mind being called a lightweight, I'm just never going to be much of a drinker. 

As far as social lubricant, I rarely go to parties and if I do it's always with my boyfriend or I bring a friend, so if Im feeling awkward I can use them as a crutch instead of alcohol. 

Squirrel Combat

I tried it once back in September. My buddies insisted I at least try, so I gave them the satisfaction, just the one time. Now, I don't have to try it again.

On 12/25/2017 at 12:19 PM, Jade Cross said:

Nope. Between the horrible taste, smell (how can people stand that is beyond me) and not to mention the innumerable amounts of problems that stem from it, I see no point in partaking of alcohol.

Nope. Between the horrible taste, smell (how can people stand that is beyond me) and not to mention the innumerable amounts of problems that stem from it, I see no point in partaking of Coca-Cola

I love a drink, but sensibly. Quality>quantity.

A current bottle of gin cost me $95, but it'll last me a year. Beautiful gin. None of that cheap crap that smells like alcohol.

I really only buy craft beer because it's made with better ingredients than your large-brewery swill, which tastes like a pile of dirty socks

I have a rule that I do not drink during the week as well, so discipline is not an issue.

I understand why there is a stigma behind alcohol, but I've never let alcohol control me. Unfortunately, some people do.

NoLongerActive1234

Nope, I don't like the taste (though actually some non alcoholic beer, cider and whine I do like- they aren't as intense) or what it can do to ones health nor do I like the effects. I've seen how badly it can impact a person's life too. 

I do, mostly to calm down and forget about sorrowful things in the family, troubles, aging, closing doors, being trapped in the concrete jungle, my ruined life how things went down after so many years of struggle and efforts against the capitalist monster in this country. I do drink to relax and get sleepy and numb my thoughts  often when too tired from so many years of fighting hard :( 

But when i was younger and hopeful i used not to drink at all, being able back then to do things i loved, like my passion of going to nature (around here you have to pay to go to nature areas, once you re jobless, you re stuck at concrete jungle :( ...). I have to say that i was happier with my bunch of dudes hiking in the woods, enjoying my young asexual freedom, while some girls i knew were crying over broken hearts. 

But still about alcohol/asexuality, i was with some roommates when working abroad (girls) they were talking about how alcohol make them horny and stuff and then they asked me and i, not revealling my asexuality, but still said the thruth, that alcohol makes me relaxed and sleepy. I just dont get how people feel something aparently intense as being aroused, while being drunk in the end of a night... But that's their business, so that's fine to me as long as people dont ask or judge me why i dont.

I like drinking alcohol if I'm with other people and in a safe place like my house or my friends house. Not lots of people but people I trust. And with my best friend or my boyfriend. I'm the lightestweight of them all so I become the entertainment really quickly. 

Love it really, especially get a nice glass under the starlit sky with one or two cig. best relaxing time and remedy for tiring life.

As long as you know the limit, it is fine. Over-drinking makes me multilingual somehow, but it never happens when I'm sober...

I'm pretty much hard-line ace, so I think there is no connection between drinking and asexuality.

No. That shit tastes awful, smells awful, leaves an awful aftertaste. Plus the people who brag about being drunk are annoying. What's so great about losing control of yourself and your senses where if you're not in private or good company you're putting yourself at risk? At least drinking too much coca cola won't necessarily lead to rape, road fatalities and physical abuse. 

• Like 1
arekathevampyre

trued furit beer once . Like it but my body can't take alcohol . Later found out then I have Celiac's so I can't take that anymore . Also partly because I am straight edge so yeah . 

I very occasionally have a drink, a small shot of whiskey to celebrate one of my close friends birthdays (they're no longer with us), maybe an odd beer now and then, I couldn't be a regular drinker, I've been drunk and hated the after affects 

I'm a moderate drinker, but yes, I do like booze. But I'm not a social drinker at all, unsurprisingly, because I'm not particularly sociable in the first place.

I don't think that it liking or disliking alcohol has anything to do with the "asexual/aromantic personality". We are a far more heterogeneous group than many people would like to think, imho. There may be overlaps as far as life styles and preferences are concerned, but I think we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

I love to drink... I normally don't enjoy contact with other people, but when I'm drunk I can happily lean on someone - in the literal sense of the word. It's nice to feel soothed by human contact rather than uncomfortable because of it. 

• Like 1

Whiskey Lover!

Also, I can feel pretty queasy in new social situations. Not proud of it but drinking alcohol is really helpful then.

And my taste buds seem to like it *shrugs*:ph34r:

I do drink, mainly whiskey at both social occasions and when I’m at home. I like the taste and smell of it especially the smokey ones. I don’t get drunk or really drink anything else either.

I avoid alcohol completely for a number of equal reasons, but my (a)sexuality has nothing to do with any of them.

I avoid it because not only do I don't like the taste (all alcohol more or less tastes the same me, which is simply just blehh), but as well as alcoholism runs in my family, which has caused many incidents of the consumer looking like a complete and utter idiot to everyone around them. Because of that, alcohol has a very negative connotation for me.

Perilous Poozer

Yes, I like a glass of wine after work. I enjoy beer, wine and whiskey (when my decanter and bank balance allows!), and rum and gin in summer. So yes. But I don’t drink to get drunk particularly.

I drink but not that often. And when I do drink, I go for the "middle ground" between being drunk and being sober. I don't like the sence ot losing control. It is not attractive idea for me at all. I do become more chatty when drinking, which is a good thing for a socially awkward person like me, but losing control of my actions brings me only shame and regert. My friends are not like that - they don't consider their most drunken hours to be a really bad thing. For them it's experience, for me - a psychological scar. 
I've also noticed that alcohol (under the right circumstances) only increases my sensual attraction (kissing, hugging etc.).

On ‎25‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:09 AM, Georgetown said:

Alcohol is often used by sexuals and romantics as a social lubricant to break through awkward communication barriers and facilitate "action", so it makes sense right off the bat that alcohol would be less popular among asexuals and aromantics than among people with different orientations. Nonetheless, I enjoy drinking and actually think drinking together is something worth sharing in any adult relationship, albeit responsibly and properly and all that.

So, here's a question for asexuals... do you like booze? 

Alcohol and me have an on again off again relationship.

In my late teens/early 20's I drank a lot, I'd be out on the town every weekend (sometimes wed/thurs/fri/sat night) but as I was out with people I knew and not on a date the only thing alcohol facilitated was my ability to get on to the dance floor.

As i got older I went out a lot less, but still drink when i do.

I've gone years without drinking, I didn't miss it when I didn't drink (but did go out even less).

If I don't like the taste of a drink I wont drink it (although they all seem to taste better after the 4th drink).

tldr

Yes

• Like 1

I like alcohol, when the amount of consume is controlled :D

When I go out with friends or go on a festival I will most likely be absolutely wasted (you're only young once)

It is absolutely not necessary for me to drink, so that I can have fun though. It's more like... forgetting the sorrows and enjoy the time with my friends for a night :D 

I enjoy sipping champagne and I like white wine and occasionally Guiness. But I never get drunk, I only sip cuz I enjoy the taste.