Archie comics now says Jughead NOT asexual

Éadweard

In a new interview Dan Parent of Archie Comics now says Jughead is NOT asexual. Well, that didn’t last long. 

I would like to tell you that it’s not that he is asexual, it’s just that he is a character who loves to live in his own world. He loves to eat, he runs away from girls and loves to hang out with his few best friends. He’s a fun loving character, who is not interested in dating.”

http://www.thestatesman.com/exclusive-interviews/comic-adaptations-guaranteed-success-films-dan-parent-1502546749.html

12 minutes ago, m4rble said:

I don't understand why. 

Riverdale - Jughead and Betty are "hot" together, so if he's asexual, then that doesn't work, right?

52 minutes ago, Just like Jughead said:

In a new interview Dan Parent of Archie Comics now says Jughead is NOT asexual...

I would like to tell you that it’s not that he is asexual...He’s a fun loving character, who is not interested in dating.”

:huh: From what I remember from the comics, all of the other young characters had a sexuality and were interested in dating and romantic relationships with other characters. Doesn't this still point towards asexuality, aromanticism, or celibacy, etc.?

Well that was disappointing. What was even the point of having him come out in the first place? Was the backlash too strong so they walked the asexual angle back? Or was the original coming out just supposed to be for publicity?

From what I can tell, this is different artists/canons. Jughead is straight up confirmed asexual in the comics written by Chip Zdarsky, which are part of the new Archie reboots, whereas Dan Parent seems to write more in the Classic Archie universe? 

So we're not losing the explicit ace rep we have in Jughead....but it would have been nice for that that bit of canon to travel across into other Archie 'verses

Do any of these writers even google asexuality?

You can still have an ace paired with another character, or becoming jealous if the non-ace person decides to date someone else. There's still so much to do there! There can be infinitely long sexual tension (lol whatever that is)!

Looks like this guy just said the equivalent of 'we're not calling it A, but it's still the definition of A.' It's a logical fallacy!

I have a friend who's absolutely dating her ex again, but she says "we're not officially dating, we like what we have right now." But they're sexually active, frequently he'll stay at her house for a few days at a time, they look to each other for emotional support, and she refuses to do any activities without him there. THEY'RE DATING.

"he's not asexual, he just likes to do anything that is not sex and dating" 

Divide By Zero
On 12/18/2017 at 3:21 PM, Just like Jughead said:

He’s a fun loving character, who is not interested in dating

So he's aro?

IntellectualAsexual

I don’t know if I said that or someone else. But Jughead’s sexuality has been talked again and again. I would like to tell you that it’s not that he is asexual, it’s just that he is a character who loves to live in his own world. He loves to eat, he runs away from girls and loves to hang out with his few best friends. He’s a fun loving character, who is not interested in dating.

He may not call himself asexual, but it seems like he is anyway, since he is not interested in dating. He could be an asexual without an asexual identity? Just like some gay people are still gay even if they call themselves something else? "A rose of any other name would smell as sweet" so what it is called is irrelevant I guess, since it would still be the same thing anyway?

This is like movies and series. If something comes in to play like a possible gay couple or asexual person bang it suddenly seems as if the idea never existed. Deadpool having a boyfriend in the next movie bang gone. Jughead being asexual in Riverdale bang gone. It ends up becoming so lame I can't even bother anymore. Worse is the actor even supported in bringing the asexual part to Jughead and now this happens boooo

Archived