Keeping warm

Marrow

So it's that time of year again where things get a tad bit (or extremely) colder and I figured I'd share some the things I do to fight the cold. (If you live in a warm climate you can go ahead and continue reading in curiosity)

• FUNCTION OVER FASHION: Ah, a time too many have I seen some dork or lass freezing on the walk because they decided to buy some "trendy" clothing. It's not worth it, get something durable and warm, it may be bulky and annoying but you won't  be freezing your ass off and cursing the sky.
  • SMITTEN WITH MITTENS: A good way to keep your digits on your hand is to wear a good pair of mittens. Normal gloves give you fingers slots, but your fingers are all separated from each other, while mittens keep them all together. Mittens can be annoying thou so a hybrid mittens are the best (fingers less gloves that can be turned into mittens)
  • DUAL SOCK MODE: Great way to keep your feet warm out and in the house is to simply put another pair of socks on.
  • SHIRT MASK: Sometimes bandanas and scarves just don't cut it so a great way to protect your face is to wear a t-shirt mask; easy to make and damn near always available.
  • WATER PROOF BOOTS: For some baffling reason I've seen people wear boots with not water protection. No water protection means your toes are gonna get wet (eventually) and wet toes equals frozen foot and an unhappy person so make sure to snag water proof boots.
  • ITS IN YOUR HEAD: If you keep thinking about how cold it is then your going to feel colder; focusing on something else helps to alleviate this.  *NOTE* not thinking about the cold isn't going to make you impervious to it so please refrain from running out side in your shorts.
  • BLANKETS!: If you drive in snowy conditions it is a MUST that you have blankets in the car as people have actually frozen to death in their cars. Good example: let's say you're driving home in a blizzard when your car goes SNAFU and takes a dip in a snow drift. You can call a tow, but there isn't any guarantee that they're gonna get to you if the roads are coated so you made need to camp it in the car and boy some blankets could help out a lot, yeh? In all serious thou it's not hard to do and it could save your life.

While these tips are gonna help out a lot by keeping you warm they aren't gonna make you impervious so I would hold on getting those tickets to Antarctica; I like the spirit thou champ. If you have anything else to add I'd be much appreciated.

J. van Deijck

awesome advices, thanks  <3

I wear my combat boots and fingerless gloves, and since I love to wear layers, I will usually wear and additional hoodie under my jacket. I both look good and stay relatively warm :D

Layered clothing works the best, especially when you wear a vest.  (no I didn't want to make a poem out of it)

Also never overlook keeping your ears warm and protected from the wind.  Even a mild breeze and cold temperatures can cause an earache later on.

For some reason, a mid length coat that covers my butt seems a lot warmer.

Shoes (and socks) that are too tight will make your feet cold.

This should be most important, but eye protection. Especially when it's snowy or insanely cold.

I see people playing in white snow with zero eye protection. It's reflecting the sun, thus can damage your eyes over time.

Yea, eye protection is essential in the snow and sun.  German Shepherds can get Panis, an eye disease from too much snow, sun, and high elevation.  Speaking of dogs, I have heard survival stories of people cuddling with their dogs for combined body heat when they were stranded.

7 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Layered clothing works the best, especially when you wear a vest.  (no I didn't want to make a poem out of it)

Also never overlook keeping your ears warm and protected from the wind.  Even a mild breeze and cold temperatures can cause an earache later on.

For some reason, a mid length coat that covers my butt seems a lot warmer.

Shoes (and socks) that are too tight will make your feet cold.

There's some sort of scientifical reason for this... I think it's that your body heats up the air between you and the jacket, , creating a warm bubble around you, so the longer the jacket, the longer the bubble. (And heat rises, so it ain't escaping out the bottom when you walk and stuff, so the heat keeps funneling upwards)

Also vouching for ears. That's also a scientific thing; ears are created to release heat (That's why creatures in warm climates have big ears, and creatures in colder climates have smaller ears) so make sure you cover 'em up when heading out!

I live in Michigan, so we get nailed with snow every year. I agree that layers are important, and you definitely want some nice, warm gloves or mittens. I lost mine, so now I just have these cheap ones that freeze my hands every time they get soaked. My mom has these wool mittens that she got from a craft show, and she won't stop talking about how warm her hands are.

Another good thing to invest in is electric blankets. I have a lot of problems with retaining body heat (low iron levels, lack of sleep, poor circulation, along with a few others), so I'm always suffering in the winter. My brother got me an electric blanket last Christmas, and it keeps me toasty. Just make sure that you take proper care of it - don't let animals on it, don't leave it plugged in too long, and don't bunch it up because you might damage the wiring (just fold it nice and neatly). I'd recommend getting a nice one, as well; you don't want it to die after a couple of uses, after all.

Thank goodness I live in the tropics. The blanket tip situation sounds troublesome. :mellow:

Apathetic Echidna

Some bits of Australia get cold, though right now is not the season and not really what we are known for ~ but that means some of the older houses in the snow line functioned on a wood oven and dogs as blankets. A brisk night was a one dog night, while a snow storm might be a 4 or 5 dog night. Dogs do make very good heaters for sleeping. @Muledeer I also assume they would be good in survival situations, they have better insulation than us and a higher body temperature. 

I have heard that the best natural fibres for warmth are the hollow hair structures, like Polar Bear and Arctic fox and Brushtail possum. The Brushtail possum fibres are commercially available, sourced from New Zealand where they are a destructive pest. I have a few pairs of Marino wool and possum fur gloves which were amazing when I went on holidays to the Northern Hemisphere in winter. 

Also, I am surprised no one has mentioned moisturisers. Thick moisturisers or skin coating creams like vaceline are good to stop drying and cracking, especially when lots of wind is involved, like with skiing or being outside in high wind at high altitudes. So not really to fight the cold, but to fight the damage it can do. 

"Function over fashion" is something clothing stores rarely come to understand. And people too. Not even during winter.

Archived