Have you ever been in a conversation like this...?

SpACEd Out

Hi!

A few days ago in school, I was doing some work in a room near where another group of people was sitting. Anyway, I overheard them talking about sexuality and attraction. And then this one girl was like, "you know, sexual and romantic attraction are different." I was surprised but happy that she was aware of this and wondered if she was an ally or she or anyone she knows (she doesn't know I'm ace) is asexual. Anyway, that conversation continued for awhile. Some guy tried to tell her that attraction was only "what gives him a boner" but this girl kept defending romantic attraction. Then some other people said they'd never heard of it before but they understood what she was saying and would look into it more! Overhearing this conversation was weird, and at one point I chimed in to support the girl explaining romantic attraction. Overall, though, it was the first time I'd ever heard asexuality mentioned in my school.

The only other time I've been in a conversation about asexuality (no one in real life knows that I'm asexual) was when a relative was describing a story he was writing. He said something like, "I'm writing about someone who was an asexual but then he fell in love and had lots of sex." I guess someone like that could be on the ace spectrum, but it felt delegitimizing of most types of asexuality (at least in my opinion at the time). I told him (and my mom, who also happened to be in the room), "you do know that asexuality is usually defined as a lack of sexual attraction." They sort of nodded, and I was afraid that I'd accidentally outed myself.

Has anyone else ever been involved in/overheard a conversation related to asexuality that was not in regard to themselves? What was that like?

Nope, haven't been in or overheard a discussion like that. But it's good the know that such discussions as your first example happen :-) :cake:

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
3 hours ago, roland.o said:

Nope, haven't been in or overheard a discussion like that. But it's good the know that such discussions as your first example happen :-) :cake:

Neither have I but it's really nice to read about your experience. Wish I could say the same.

Archived