Question for Grey Sexuals

So I recently discovered that a friend of mine identified as Grey Ace. Which is awesome.  I've always felt that demisexual worked for me as a label, so I was wondering what grey sexual meant to those who identify as it. 

Is it similar to demisexuality or different?

Thanks!

I identify as both, because I consider demisexual to fall within the gray area. But there are different kinds of gray. Not everyone who experiences sexual attraction only rarely or under very special circustances (which is my personal definition of gray sexual) requires a deep emotional bond and/or an abnormal timespan, which are the two definitions of demisexual that I came across here.

For example, some people might not even be sure under what circumstances they could experience sexual attraction. But it could happen in a blink. Maybe it happened to them once in a lifetime, so they know they are not ace, but they're not demisexual either.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
2 hours ago, roland.o said:

I identify as both, because I consider demisexual to fall within the gray area. But there are different kinds of gray. Not everyone who experiences sexual attraction only rarely or under very special circustances (which is my personal definition of gray sexual) requires a deep emotional bond and/or an abnormal timespan, which are the two definitions of demisexual that I came across here.

For example, some people might not even be sure under what circumstances they could experience sexual attraction. But it could happen in a blink. Maybe it happened to them once in a lifetime, so they know they are not ace, but they're not demisexual either.

*nods* I totally agree with @roland.o. It's all just been said. I'm demigrey too. There's definitedly a subtle but very important difference inbetween. 

To me it describes someone who feels that they experience sexual attraction significantly less so than 'normal sexual people' in some regard. It's clearly a problematic definition, though, as what even is 'normal'?

• Like 1
Apathetic Echidna
On 17/12/2017 at 6:50 PM, roland.o said:

Basically exactly this. In my week to week, month to month, year to year life I experience no sexual attraction. I am very happy without sex. However I have experienced it in the past. I know I can experience sexual attraction under very very infrequent apessexual circumstances. I identify as grayasexual because that is how I live my experience, and I also identify as apressexual as that is how it works when it does happen. Plus it is generally easier using grayasexual as more people have an idea of what it is than apressexual, which is like the less confused little sibling of WTFsexual. 

• Like 1