What would you like done with your body after you die?

m4rble

I want to donate everything that can be donated. First to medical and then to science. Im not using any of it anymore might as well go to good use.

I've recently written my will and researched this subject. I carry an organ donation card, and that takes priority. But if there's nothing useful to anyone living, I'd like to be used for medical research. Typically that means that new students get a real cadaver to practice (dissection) on. As someone has written that normally means free collection.

HOWEVER, the body is only useful to practice on if its 'typical', so bodies with excess height, weight, or indeed very low weight or height will be rejected.

There is an amusing (to me) end to this story. My local teaching hospital has been around for a very long time and as such is an old facility. I was rejected on height grounds (i'm 6ft 4in) not because that means I'm so far off normal to be atypical (I would have been once, but not any more), but because the facility was built so long ago that the freezer/storage spaces for cadavers were designed to cater for bodies of maximum height of 6 ft 2 in.

Always looking for answers

I would like it if my body was donated to Body Worlds. That way it gets an educational purpose.

I don’t really care. They can feed me to cannibals that live in the desert if they want. As long as they don’t put my brain in a vat and put me in some weird matrix type thing or something like that.

I'm more than happy for my organs to be donated for medical purposes, so I hope if my organs were in a good enough condition to be reused, they'd go to a person in need. For the rest of me, I have no idea, as I won't be around to give my opinion. However, I'd prefer to be cremated and have my ashes scattered somewhere nice, doesn't have to be "this was a special place for her" as that's a faff, and I'm not here for being a hassle even after my death. Being buried freaks me out as I'm slightly claustrophobic, so being in a small box underground is a massive no-go for me. 

If my organs are viable, they'll be donated.  I want a natural eco-friendly burial, so that my body can decay and feed the earth.:)    

I'd be planted as a tree one way or another. One thing I don't want is to be cremated. I more or less want to be be "buried" whole.

Elftober Country

Organs donated then burial.

Lotta_Biscotti

I wanna be cannibalized for parts if I have any salvageable organs, then either donated to science or cremated. I would prefer this weird freezing-alternative breakdown process which is way cleaner, but it's also not widely available, and expensive. Ideally I'd rather not make a mess or pollute. I also don't want to take up space or be buried somewhere, especially a graveyard. I figure, use me for medicine or fertilizer, but don't bury me unless I'm dust.

I read, "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers” by Mary Roach her point was at the end is we will be dead and we can’t argue anymore what we wish to have done with our body’s. The best thing in her suggestion is to leave it for the remaining family member(s) make the choice so they can sleep soundly.

An example where the dying wishes of someone was to be used for science. However there are hundreds of usages for science to use a dead body. Throw the Cadaver outside in the elements and let them decompose. Use them for vehicle safe test. They could go to pre-med students mangling the body in their dissections. Sometimes “for science” the surviving members don’t want know that grandma’s head is going to be smashed in with an I beam.  The surviving family members shouldn’t have to live with that. Let them decide. 

I want the right half cremated and put in K-cups and the other half mummified in Fruit Roll-Ups. Then bury both halves in a sarcophagus so a future archaeologist gets a delicious surprise one day.

Sleepy Skeleton

I once read about these like... corpse farms where they literally throw your body onto a field so students and such can study you as you decompose. That always sounded super cool for me. But I'd also like my organs to be donated if possible and you can't always do that if you give your body to science.

I know I definitely don't want to be cremated or have a traditional burial... neither of those are good for the environment and they're only for the surivors' sake anyway.

15 hours ago, Baggage_warrior said:

I'd want my body to be turned into burgers... then bury the burgers... just to confuse archaeologists in the future

My dude... I love this.

Alejandrogynous

Donate organs then a green/natural burial, preferably in a wild place. I definitely don't want to be stuck on someone's mantel or wasting space in a cemetery. My body came from the earth, the earth shall have it again.

Depends how I die.

If I die on some crazy adventurous excursion I just want to leave my body there as a warning to other adventurers.

If I die at home or something not far off I want to have my own Egyptian style tomb with makeshift home-alone-style booby traps. I'm an organ donor by the way.

Oh, and if my loved ones don't donate all my money to charity, when I die, I'll come back as a ghost and haunt them forever with minor annoyances.

We have a opt out organ donor system, so my organs will be used (if usable) anyway.

Maybe I'll donate my body to science. You have to pay IIRC 400 Euro here, but that's still much cheaper than a funeral and I won't need my body anymore.

But on the other hand my funeral is not for me, so maybe I should let my loved ones decide.

btw, some years ago my aunt asked my grandmother how she would like to have her funeral. Her answer: "Why do you ask me? I won't be there so why should I care?"

I'd like to be either donated to science, or use my organs to help others. I am already registered as an organ donor. 

My family has a plot on a green burial ground though and that is lovely. A tree is planted at every burial. I wouldn't mind that, I just want something useful to come of my remains. 

I'd love to be donated to a body farm but as of yet there are none in the uk. either that or a green burial, no coffin no embalming no cremation just plonk my body in the ground to decompose

Hermit Advocate

I'd want my organs donated if they can be and (provided I'm not murdered) I would want my body to be disposed of cheaply, simply, and with as little harm to the environment as it can be. If I'm murdered, I want a durable casket that will help preserve my remains just in case in body needs to be exhumed for some reason. 

With the aim of recycling, I should be used to fertilise a hop garden or barley field :P:P

slothdetective

I want to be cremated and the ashes to be scattered, preferably somewhere in nature (a lake or a forest for example - though I'm not sure if it's legal here). No part of my body will be donated or utilized otherwise, I want the whole thing to disappear as quickly as possible.

Space-Ace-Android

To donate any functioning organs (or spare parts <3 I am an android after all :3) to those in need and be made into a cake :D

Want some?

Image result for awesome cake

I'm an organ donor already. I plan on taking over people's bodies as my cells replicate inside of them. Since I read that memories might be stored in areas other than the brain.

I want to be buried green, with a fruit tree planted on my grave. So that my cells will continue on inside the tree. Granting my wishes to all who eat it's fruit.

Semiterrestrial Scientist

Maybe donate my body to a medical school or organ donation. If I donate my organs then I would like to be cremated.

On 12/16/2017 at 5:55 PM, Polygon said:

Might consider donating to science, or maybe getting one of those hipster burials where you become nutrients for a tree or something.

Same but I would be very specific about what I wanted to be experimented on. I would love my dead boy to like have bioluminescent experiment so I could glow or something...

Hermit Advocate

I didn't think about having a tree planted on top of my grave. That's a good idea. I like it. 

Options note I don't really care what happens to me:

Burial

Cremation

Have them remove my flesh, wire my bones together, and have someone repose me every few weeks.

Burial at sea.  (Prior Navy, so this is free.)

Cremated and shot out of a cannon.

Be launched into the heart of the sun.

Be launched into space.

Be dropped into an active volcano.

Medical experiments.

Brain in a jar.

Be cremated and placed in fireworks.

Viking Funeral, burning boat.

Be burned on an open pire.

Have my bones placed into a coffin above ground, and have "for thousands of years I lay dormant, who disturbs my slumber?" Prerecorded.

Have a statue erected in my honor, and have my bones encased in metal.

Frozen in carbonite.

Cryogenic freezing, and get woke up in a few hundred years.

And last but not least.  This but as a skeleton.

On 12/18/2017 at 4:20 AM, Sleighcaptain said:

With the aim of recycling, I should be used to fertilise a hop garden or barley field :P:P

with recycling in mind.....I want my remains fed to a weed patch. 

Cremation for sure . My family is aware of this. 

They can do whatever with the ashes, but no crazy stuff like tattooing themselves with the ink mixed with my ashes. I'd come back to life, just to speed slap them. Or haunt them, should the first option not be realistic. 

I wouldn't want any fuss to be made about me when I die. I would rather be remembered for my life, than my death.

If anything I'd want disco and funk music at any funeral celebrations being done. 

Archived