• Announcements

• Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
    • Kelly

Join the team. Moderators and Project Team Member needed: Voting   01/04/18

Voting has started. See:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/166163-new-moderator-member-needed-announcements-and-tea-and-sympathy-moderator-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/166162-new-moderator-member-needed-just-for-fun-aven-arcade-and-alternative-language-forum-moderator-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/166161-new-project-team-member-needed-answering-team-and-wiki-coordinator-voting/  
nothinbuttrouble

Probably gonna get banned, as usual

nothinbuttrouble
Honestly, I've been noticing a trend here. OP will post something offensive themselves,

but receive no reprimand, but responses to the thread in the same fashion/spirit as the

original post will receive reprimand. Not cool.

Woodworker1968

Not only that. I've received warning messages for bigoted and offensive content that I posted 3 or 4 years prior.

Now, I don't dare dispute that some of the stuff I posted was bigoted and offensive (if you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk), but waiting 3 or 4 years to report it... seriously???

Baggage_warrior

I've had almost all my warning points from personal insults which have been a direct result of me being provoked into sticking up for myself... but hey, I was in the wrong for the language I used

m4rble
57 minutes ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Not only that. I've received warning messages for bigoted and offensive content that I posted 3 or 4 years prior.

Now, I don't dare dispute that some of the stuff I posted was bigoted and offensive (if you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk), but waiting 3 or 4 years to report it... seriously???

Maybe there should be a statute of limitations for breaking ToS rules. 

Evren
29 minutes ago, m4rble said:

Yeah, it seems kind of ridiculos to punish people for things said years ago. They could have changed their minds, or not. Its still pretty stupid to get fussed at for 3-4 year old comments.

Una Salus Victus
19 minutes ago, m4rble said:

There is supposed to be one, which if I remember right, is something like 2 weeks.

Member4445
29 minutes ago, m4rble said:

There is, but I've been told it's a 'guideline' <_<

Pramana
1 hour ago, Woodworker1968 said:

I inquired about this a while back, and was told that there is a two week statute of limitations:

NerotheReaper

Moved from Hot Box to Site Comments 

kelico

Yup, as said, the SoL on reports/action is 2 weeks. If the incident happened more than 2 weeks ago, it can't/shouldn't be acted upon. 

Danger Dove

The SoL is one week to report something and 2 weeks for Admods to act on that report.

Woodworker1968

It begs the delicate question: can mods or admins be removed by a procedure akin to impeachment? I.e., lodge a complaint with the hosting service?

Incidentally, there is a board of which I'm still a member, the head mod has the irritating habit of calling out anyone whose posts don't align with his POVs, and the admin, who's technically over his head, doesn't really seem to care much about the one-sided drivel that gets posted to his board.

TheAP
3 minutes ago, Woodworker1968 said:

It begs the delicate question: can mods or admins be removed by a procedure akin to impeachment? I.e., lodge a complaint with the hosting service?

If you have a complaint with an admod, PM an admin, and they will decide what to do.

CaptainYesterday
43 minutes ago, TheAngel(of)Peace said:

If you have a complaint with an admod, PM an admin, and they will decide what to do.

"The admins have investigated the admins and have determined the admins to be innocent."

TheAP
1 hour ago, CaptainYesterday said:

"The admins have investigated the admins and have determined the admins to be innocent."

Well, the admin being reported won't be included in the conversation.

CaptainYesterday
Just now, TheAngel(of)Peace said:

Well, the admin being reported won't be included in the conversation.

So just their friends?  This is basically the thin green line.

TheAP
3 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

So just their friends?  This is basically the thin green line.

Not necessarily. It has happened many times before that an admod has been put up for review and has been removed from their job.

CaptainYesterday
Just now, TheAngel(of)Peace said:

Not necessarily. It has happened many times before that an admod has been put up for review and has been removed from their job.

I don't doubt it's possible.  I'm sure if an admin was caught embezzling some of that sweet AVEN money they would be removed.  I'm sure if an admin vocally went against the far-left politics that the majority of admins believe in that they would be removed.

But this is a topic about people who post "offensive" things, which if we translate, are things that the admins personally consider offensive, which if we translate once more, are things that are considered offensive under far-left belief systems.  So what while there are likely scenarios that could get an admin excommunicated, I have zero faith that any of them would be regarding their actions taken against those they deem "bigots."  Because bigots are acceptable targets.

The question was, "can you impeach an admin," which around here is like asking "can you impeach the president?"  Well, yeah, the mechanisms to do exist.  It's definitely on the books somewhere.  It's happened before, a small number of times.  Will it happen when those who need to cast the votes are on the president's side, however?  No.

TheAP

That is incorrect. People can be warned for bigoted or offensive left-wing beliefs as well. Political affiliation doesn't factor into the choice of discipline.

CaptainYesterday
3 minutes ago, TheAngel(of)Peace said:

That is incorrect. People can be warned for bigoted or offensive left-wing beliefs as well. Political affiliation doesn't factor into the choice of discipline.

What's an example of a left-wing belief that the moderation team considers to be bigoted?

TheAP
Just now, CaptainYesterday said:

What's an example of a left-wing belief that the moderation team considers to be bigoted?

Things like "all men are pigs", "all Christians are stupid", etc.

FaerieFate
11 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

There's an SOL (statute of limitations) on reports. So, if this happens, please PLEASE dispute. You can't be reported for anything that's happened that long ago. In fact, admods have 2 weeks to act on something once it's reported, and I think that things can only be reported 3-4 weeks after it's been posted. Also, all rules in the TOS only apply to AFTER the rule is created. So if there was no "Personal Insult" rule, you'd get away with it. If admods create a "Personal Insult" rule later in time, the times I insulted people prior to that rule don't apply, bcause it wasn't against the rules when I made those posts.

Also, if this really happened, I'd suggest messaging admods to get any warnings (even if they've expired) where SOL has been breached and request them removed from your account. Again, becuase SOL is a very important thing.

Skycaptain
8 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

The only person who can't be removed is the site owner for obvious reasons. Complaints about moderators are handled by the administrators, administrator by Broad of Directors precisely to ensure a degree of independence in the determination of misconduct. 

All staff can get warns and be removed from positions, barred from standing in elections for certain periods in exactly the same manner as everyone else (as some of us well know(!))

It's possibly more likely that a staff member would get warned where a non-staff member would get nudged in some cases, as it's much harder to give them the benefit of the doubt 

CaptainYesterday
On 12/14/2017 at 1:40 AM, Sleighcaptain said:

The only person who can't be removed is the site owner for obvious reasons.

How much does the site cost?

I will start the bidding at $1.

Una Salus Victus

I know the IPB software costs several hundred per month, and that's just to allow a few hundred people visiting a day. That's just one of the standard plans for the forum software. AVEN is possibly paying more than that. Not to mention server and domain costs on top of that, whatever they may be

FaerieFate
1 minute ago, Una Salus Victus said:

I know the IPB software costs several hundred per month, and that's just to allow a few hundred people visiting a day. That's just one of the standard plans for the forum software. AVEN is possibly paying more than that. Not to mention server and domain costs on top of that, whatever they may be

Plus AVEN pays a separate fee for chat.

On 12/14/2017 at 12:40 AM, Sleighcaptain said:

The only person who can't be removed is the site owner for obvious reasons. Complaints about moderators are handled by the administrators, administrator by Broad of Directors precisely to ensure a degree of independence in the determination of misconduct. 

All staff can get warns and be removed from positions, barred from standing in elections for certain periods in exactly the same manner as everyone else (as some of us well know(!))

Wait, when did this come out? I've been following Archives closely, but I didn't see any new policies saying that Admins were handled by BOD. In fact, last I checked BOD didn't want any involvement in Admods unless it's for legal reasons.

Danger Dove

The BoD provide their opinion on reports on staff by other staff. They don't handle report on Admins. 

Janus DarkFox

Never expect a thing give full acknowledgement of the rules, never expect a thing until such a PM drops in the inbox about anything rule related.  An honest mistake for the poster, or even the mod in many cases.

Woodworker1968

Well, if I was really pissed off and was pretty sure I'd been wronged, I'd find out who owns the server and ask them to give that problem site the heave.

Kisa the Kit Kat
On 12/15/2017 at 4:01 PM, FaerieFate said:

Plus AVEN pays a separate fee for chat.

Wait, when did this come out? I've been following Archives closely, but I didn't see any new policies saying that Admins were handled by BOD. In fact, last I checked BOD didn't want any involvement in Admods unless it's for legal reasons.

Pook clarified that the information was incorrect.

I was with you there for a moment with that confusion though.

Also if you are reported for something 3 or 4 year old, dispute it.  It's possible that the mods didn't notice the date.  Reports on members are done by mods as a group so the messenger doesn't necessarily dislike the person, they're just relaying a message.