Just told my mom I'm asexual.

Sierra2

Well my mother broke the golden rule for oreintation and self identification. She literally said that what I was going through was a PHASE and when I meet the right guy all that will change, because I'm just a late bloomer. I'm 18 by the way and ever since I was like 14 I felt like something was wrong with me because when the wave of puberty hit everyone sexual hormones I was a hit and miss so to speak. I've told my best friends who were very supportive and unsurprised. Hearing my mother say that what I was going through was just a phase was the first time I experienced the misconception of asexuality, and it hurt. Any advice?

When I came out to my immediate family, my mom was like "oh it's the new word for androgynous" , my dad said "it's likely a hormone thing" and then my little brother claimed it to be mental, so I know how you feel in a way. The best advice I can give is try to educate her, and remember that this is new to her, and that she has probably never heard the term before you told her.  (I sent my mom a bunch of links)  I'm 19, and like you I always felt like something was 'off' when all my friends started having sex and I was like "why?". Good luck on your journey :) you got this! 

My advice? Time. Seriously, just time.

Hear me out.

My mom said the same thing as yours. She said she was a late bloomer too, and that I shouldn't worry because I'd change, and then she implied that is wasn't real because it was an internet thing and I only thought I was ace because I'd watched a documentary on asexuality. She absolutely refused to listen to my explanations. Half a year later she told me I should go see a doctor.

That all sounds really bad right? But now, a couple of years later, she's fine with me being ace, laughs along with jokes I make about it and all. She's completely accepted it, and I literally didn't do anything to make her change. I was in a different country for a year and we didn't talk about it at all. In that year she came around all by herself. All she needed was time.

Shahanaz Alia

my mum and dad wasn't really cared about labels and lgbtq+ stuff. so whenever i tod them, i am asexual , they will be like "okay" . because we're muslims, doesn't really tolerant with homosexuality and stuff. but as for me, as a young adult, thanks to internet, i became more wise aabout lgbtq+ suff. i was homophobic once, but i do not want to repeat those mistakes again. and also, i told my parents about having a crush but i also do not want to get marry. they are quite undestanding on that matter, perhaps. but im so glad you open up to your mum about your asexuality. just shook off whatever your mum says, i didn't say you have to be rude to your mother, but you will ignore or rather say "yes" in front of her instead of going off mad with your mum. im quite sure she understands, soon enough, she will be able to accept that you are who you are and you are not going through any phase. be proud of who you are, sierra!! :D

I've not told my mother or my sister. I guess I'm "luckier" insomuch that I'm in my 40's. SO from a strictly adult human being point of view it really IS none of their business.

I plan on saving up for a nice understated ACE ring and just starting to wear it. They ain't stupid. They'll figure it out themselves anyway :)

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Archived