yeah representation needs to happen

purpletuesday

purpletuesday

I didn't learn about asexuality until i was 17 i had no idea that this existed. it's not talked about or represented. If i would of known what asexuality was i could of learned a lot earlier a big part of myself and why i wasn't feeling what everyone else be feeling. Im just tired of seeing movies and shows where the story line always follows a romantic storyline in someway like it aint that hard to add an asexual character. If there was more representation maybe my friends would of known what it is and wouldn't of assumed that im just picky 

Welcome! I hear you on that; I felt confused as a teen, too. Yes, more representation is slowly happening, but there's obviously still more work to do. AVEN and other members are trying to change that.

I have always found representation in media, it's just that the term is very new.  Asexuality has always existed, characters have been written as such.  I have always had media and fictional characters I could relate to.

Also television and movies are made for the lowest common denominator for money.  There are a great many Asexual characters in fiction, they just wont come out and say it outright, or at all if they were written before the term was coined.

Also Asexuality used to be FAR more common because of religion and the fact that safe sex didn't exist.  The idea of sex for fun didn't really exist till the 60's.  Before that even to sexuals it was a tool, a means to an end.

Archived