I'm worried that I'll always be lonely

Flump222

I've been thinking about this for a while, and just wanted to share it here.

I'm really new here, and I've never thought of myself as asexual until very recently. I told my mom today as well (she said she figured that I probably was). I'm 15, and I have had one crush in my life, which was only romantic attraction. All I wanted to do was just get to know her better, but she didn't like me, so I kind of just let go of it. Now I don't like anyone. I've never really perceived people as attractive, and I just view everyone as a person. I'd be open to a relationship in the future, but I have this fear that if anyone ever likes me, I just won't like them. I feel that I just won't find someone, and that I'll just be lonely in the future. Maybe I shouldn't even be worried about this now, I am only 15.

Squirrelylovessquirrels

I'm sure if you want to you can find someone. Its really hard as an asexual especially and it can be isolating until you hear people with similar worries. I'm also asexual. My first real crush and only real crush has been on a non-binary. I call this a real crush because before I thought I liked men so I would periodically have "Crushes" but I never actually liked them I'm more polyromantic. They are also asexual and non-binary so we both have some things in common. We're also majoring in the same thing here and both focusing on plants. I'm 19 years old. I would advise that people have been shown to know their sexual orientation as young as 10. I don't think you need to worry too much about it. If it happens it happens. In my case it didn't work out because they didn't like me back but I'm sure there's someone else aligning with your sexual orientation that you can fall in love with should that be your desire. 

Cobaltprincess

Hey, this might not be very helpful but I feel the same way. And I’m 16 so I get what you’re saying about age and that maybe you shouldn’t worry. I tell myself the same thing.

I feel like every relationship nowadays revolves around sex and I don’t want that so I feel like it’ll be quite hard for me to find someone who loves me and that is ok with that. And then, I have to like them back. Plus, I have trouble showing affection and getting attached because I’m afraid of rejection so I’m afraid that if I meet someone that actually likes me, and I like them back, they’ll feel that they love me more than I love them.

Loneliness is a state of mind. Someone can be lonely when in a relationship, or even living in a crowded house. Also it's certainly not only asexuals that ever end up single. I've known sexuals who stay single. Asexuals do get married or have close relationships, or live with other people. I wouldn't associate asexuality and loneliness, and I'm not saying that loneliness doesn't happen, or that you're wrong to feel lonely. It's a perfectly valid feeling, and we all experience it. I'm just saying that it's not necessary for it to be paired with being ace.

Just because you're ace doesn't mean you're automatically going to be lonely. Now, I agree with everyone else with this statement: Aces can have close relationships and familes and friends. Loneliness is okay, as it's an emotion we all feel sometimes. It's normal 

But, in order to obtain those happy relationships with friends or family or that loved one, you must be prepared to put yourself out there. You're still young, which means that you shouldn't worry about it too much at this point. I'm 16 as well, so I'm not too worried at this point about relationships. Don't rush, there's still heaps of time to find that special person

Archived