Confused about gender identity

kira

I'm really confused right now about my gender identity. While I haven't ever experienced body dysphoria, I definitely wish that I was born male and dislike being identified as female (i.e., I wish I could go out in public and pass as male).  I've always preferred men's clothing and have never felt moved to present myself as female (i.e., never worn make up, heels, styled my hair etc.) - but I don't feel like I was born in the wrong gender. When I look at female to male transition photos, I feel sad/envious that I will never get to have the same experience of being identified as male - yet I am not transgender. Has anyone else had similar feelings?

:) Hello, and welcome! :cake:

You're asking for advice on your gender identity, by asking others about their experiences, correct? I do know what you mean; when I look at younger pictures of myself, of when I looked more androgynous or male (in my opinion), I kind of feel like I miss those moments of experimenting and trying to figure out my gender, even though they felt bittersweet, sometimes (where being made fun of or misgendered felt wrong and upsetting; yet I also liked dressing or cutting my hair how I felt like I wanted to.)

Perhaps you are gender-nonconforming (and would like to cross-dress) or non-binary. How do those terms feel to you? If a large chest is preventing others from reading you as male, perhaps wearing a binder might help.

8 hours ago, kira said:

I'm really confused right now about my gender identity. While I haven't ever experienced body dysphoria, I definitely wish that I was born male and dislike being identified as female (i.e., I wish I could go out in public and pass as male).  I've always preferred men's clothing and have never felt moved to present myself as female (i.e., never worn make up, heels, styled my hair etc.) - but I don't feel like I was born in the wrong gender. When I look at female to male transition photos, I feel sad/envious that I will never get to have the same experience of being identified as male - yet I am not transgender. Has anyone else had similar feelings?

I actually feel the same and it's quite confusing aha

Archived