My University's weird annual speech about sex

rhwrd

Hey guys, 

so a few minutes ago I received an e-mail via my University mail address. It's an invitation for all students to come to the annual Uni speech. This year's topic: 'present and future of lust - the importance of sexuality for life satisfaction'. What. The. Heck. I mean, I totally understand that sexuality has an impact, and not just a small one, on sexual people who probably are the majority, even among the Uni students. But seriously? Not only that I think that speech + topic is a perfect example for over sexualization of our society nowadays - it rushes down a one way street, similar to heteronormativity, there are thousands of topics of bigger overall importance than a human desire.

Usually I'm very chill about most topics and  rarely get offended, yet this kinda leaves a bitter taste :huh: They were always so inclusive, no matter if it comes to LGBTQ, gender, refugees, physical disabilities but I feel asexuality is invisible once again. Do I overreact? :blink:

Apathetic Echidna

so they use the word sexuality to mean physical sex acts? because if they mean sexuality as sexual orientation understanding I could see how they might work in asexuality as a part of the experience of lust, in that they don't experience sexual attraction......if lust is to mean sexual attraction.......

The title of the topic certainly leaves itself open to criticism in it's use of terms....but I don't think you are overreacting if this is leading to more ace erasure. You should take a row in the front and heckle the speaker if they make generalised statements that erase the asexual experience.  

As I probably mentioned here a couple of times, I do understand that we live in a predominantly sexual world and sex is a normal, biologically determined function (albeit, meant for reproduction for the most part) after all. However

1. I could hold an entire speech as to why sex(ualization) is overrated while being scientifically consistent;

2. Sex(ualization) is definitely overused in various media and I think, it shouldn't be expressed and/or portrayed beyond normal and realistic.

You are not overreacting. I would be baffled as well.

Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery

If I were you I would definitely go just to see what it's about. It could be the complete opposite. "The importance of sexuality for life satisfaction" sounds kind of sarcastic to me.

My university had a whole online course that all it's students had to take. The course was in two parts and had to be completed over the span of two months. I think some of it has to do with insurance or liability. Something like that. Edit: Don't forget sexual harassment and consent are very important, and the title could be a an inviting way to get most people to come to the talk. I'm just presuming I actually know what the body of the talk is about. 

Miss Anne Thrope

I wouldn't judge the speech on the title alone. It can talk about embracing your sexuality freely, even if your orientation falls outside of the hetero "norm". It can discuss how to have healthy sexual relationships. It can look at sexualization in the media and how it effects all of us. All of these are important discussions to have, even if they don't always apply to asexuals.

To Each Their Own

If it IS a serious title (as opposed to an ironic one) then at the very least, it does erase aromantic asexuals and asexuals that don’t have a libido. 

@rhwrd

I got the same invitation today - do we study at the same uni or is Mr Hartmann holding his speech at different unis all over Germany? It's going to be on the 25th of January here.

I'm planning to go there to see if he thinks sexuality is important to all individuals for life satisfaction, and in what ways, and if there is ace erasure I would like to speak up either during the talk or afterwards, if I can muster up the courage.

I agree with what other people posted: the title alone doesn't express his opinion on this.

Julian

how is that title similar to heteronormativity in that it "rushes down a one way street" and how does it have anything to do with oversexualization?

just because there are "more important topics" doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with tackling this topic

6 hours ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

so they use the word sexuality to mean physical sex acts? because if they mean sexuality as sexual orientation understanding I could see how they might work in asexuality as a part of the experience of lust, in that they don't experience sexual attraction......if lust is to mean sexual attraction.......

The title of the topic certainly leaves itself open to criticism in it's use of terms....but I don't think you are overreacting if this is leading to more ace erasure. You should take a row in the front and heckle the speaker if they make generalised statements that erase the asexual experience.  

It is just the title so far, idk if they mean the physical acts, but I tend to interpret it this way. They said sexuality, not sexual orientation which is something different - in term and meaning. If they meant something else, it would be quite misleading wouldn't it? ^^ Also the speech is held by a sexual scientist/head of the sciences of sexual medicine department. 

6 hours ago, Ace ♠ At ♠ Archery said:

If I were you I would definitely go just to see what it's about. It could be the complete opposite. "The importance of sexuality for life satisfaction" sounds kind of sarcastic to me.

I kinda feel the original title which is in German does not sound as sarcastic or ironic as the translation, yet I'm pretty sure it's not meant in a sarcastic way. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Julian of Norwich said:

@rhwrd

I got the same invitation today - do we study at the same uni or is Mr Hartmann holding his speech at different unis all over Germany? It's going to be on the 25th of January here.

I'm planning to go there to see if he thinks sexuality is important to all individuals for life satisfaction, and in what ways, and if there is ace erasure I would like to speak up either during the talk or afterwards, if I can muster up the courage.

I agree with what other people posted: the title alone doesn't express his opinion on this.

Julian

It seems like we do! It's Mr Hartmann, 25th of January. I still feel an opinion is expressed because the title concludes that life satisfaction is linked to sexuality. It sounds explicitly positive, it doesn't leave open a negative option as in life satisfaction may be linked to a lack of sexuality (@Mermaidy). It may be an extremely unfortunately or way too broad choice of words/title here. Even if it may mean more, it made me angry and kinda sad.

It doesn't seem very much like an awareness speech for abuse or STDs though, they surely would have chosen another (sub)title for that. Hum.

Apathetic Echidna
11 hours ago, rhwrd said:

If they meant something else, it would be quite misleading wouldn't it? ^^

sorry, I am just used to Australian and British newspaper headlines where most of the time accuracy of word use doesn't seem as important as impact words and puns. 

cool for finding someone who goes to the same university as you because of this post though!

Archived