Coming Out Rants (or not)

RavenAlyssa

Just a place to rant about your experiences with coming out. Or if you had a really good experience, you can talk about that too.

I suppose I'll start, just with a short little thing.

I just find it really annoying when people insist that I just haven't met enough people to know I'm aro/ace, and that I shouldn't make such a decision (to never date, marry, have sex) so early. One person I came out to also argued that I shouldn't adopt those labels. They were afraid that I was putting myself in a box, limiting myself, and that if I told people about this I'd ruin my chances of finding a relationship. But I feel like finding this label has set me free. It's taken a burden off my chest, one that I didn't even know was there. It makes me happy to know more fully who I am, and happy to belong to a community like this.

On the other hand, I've had some pretty good coming out experiences, like friends I don't expect to understand being really accepting. 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

'for there are eunuchs that were born that way'....sounds derogatory, despite the obvious good intentions. Back then there weren't the words or background knowledge to describe much, though.

On 12/9/2017 at 7:08 AM, chandrakirti said:

'for there are eunuchs that were born that way'....sounds derogatory, despite the obvious good intentions. Back then there weren't the words or background knowledge to describe much, though.

In context, it's not meant to be derogatory at all -- I suppose out of context it could sound that way. This is also a translation of the original text, so that could influence the reading of it...

Divide By Zero

It's so annoying how people say stuff like "get your hormones checked", "were you abused as a child", "is this a religious thing?", "have you seen a counsellor?", etc. as if it's not possible to be asexual and there must be a reason why you have this "problem" and once that reason is figured out you can then be "cured".

Also, being a man seems to make it worse. I once had someone tell me that only women are asexual and there are no asexual men so I must be gay. I was also once told that if I don't like sex I'm not a real man.

I could probably cover an asexual bingo card with all the stuff I've been told.

Archived