Emotional Overreaction?

Apathetic Echidna

Apathetic Echidna

Today I talked on the phone with someone I have a non-romantic/non-sexual but long term caring relationship, basically they have been one of my idols/role models since I was a small kid. This was the first time we talked in about 6 months. They were vaguely disappointed in some stuff I already felt bad about doing but were otherwise very nice and caring in the conversation. Once I hung up I got drowned in an emotional tsunami. I couldn't stop crying. I could feel their caring words like a physical weight around my chest and shoulders while it felt like my insides were being shredded. It has been 3 hours looking at wholesome memes before my hands were steady again. I feel so messed up, and my reaction feels way over proportionate than anything we said or any of the stuff I had done. 

I posted this here as I had a feeling some of the romantics might understand more even though our relationship is not romantic.  

Forgotten Fox

Nah mate that's not an overreaction at all to me. It's more like a build up of emotions which can happen to anyone. Most of the time you don't even notice it build up until something triggers you then everything is let out. It's been 6 months so a lot of feelings of guilt, doubt, anger, sadness, or anything from your life probably has been piling on and when your friend finally came around to say they care about you it added on to already mixed emotions that your body just had to let it all out!

It's like when I get super stressed from school, but don't show any discomfort until weeks later when I crack from pressure or when a post asking if I'm okay comes up.  The after affect takes some time to calm down from seeing as you released all that pent up emotional baggage so finding things that calm you down or laugh(songs, art, books, and yes memes) helps to get you back to stable. 

You must really care about this person or really appreciate the fact that they asked how you were doing which isn't even a romantic thing, it's just about having someone there to support you whether it's your pet, friend, family member, or partner. Hope that makes sense and that you feel better soon! ^_^

Apathetic Echidna

@Forgotten Fox thanks for the reply. I was just freaked out because my normal reaction to stress (previously if has basically only been academic or work stress) is completely different. It just felt like it came out of nowhere. and yeah, you made sense ^_^

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Sounds like that person was very caring and brought out those feelings you were keeping the lid on, so they're a friend indeed. The fact you released them safely will have done you the world of good.

Also jumping in to say this is something I've also experienced! I'm a pretty emotional person IMO, and I definitely have moments like this where it all comes to a head and everything gets let out! :') It's definitely a valid feeling and very normal. Sometimes we get so used to keeping our feelings in check, or carrying that emotional weight around, that we forget they're even still there until things like this happen. It definitely seems like you have a deep connection to this person and that's what brought this out in you - this is a good thing!! Sometimes the reaction of someone we really care about or respect can tip us over, and also having a very real reminder of their support and care for us in return can have a deep, profound impact. I'm glad you had the opportunity to let it out (sometimes I watch 'dog is reunited with its owner after __ months/years' etc. videos to get me crying if i feel its due lmao), and I hope it makes you feel better in some way. The vulnerability can be very jarring & scary but ultimately when those feelings pass I usually feel so much better in myself. <3 :cake:

Emotions are like the boiler in the Overlook Hotel from The Shining. It's a good idea to open up the release valve periodically to keep the emotional pressure from building too high. The person you talked too on the phone was essentially the emotional caretaker, who opened the valve.

Hearts are tender things.

@Forgotten Fox nailed it, I think, when they talked about the pent up feelings. That's really all this was, I promise you. The same thing has happened to me more than once before! Sometimes it just happens, and the best thing to do is to let it happen. It's healthy to do so. :)

Archived