(sensitive topic) For Guys Who Like...

nate-1234

I can't relate, since I'm not fond of any kind of romance (be it homo or hetero), but I don't really understand why boys should be ashamed for liking BL/shounen ai/yaoi/bara whatsoever, when I often see a plethora of girls loving yuri/shoujo ai and being blatantly proud of it. It's just romance like anything else.

Go ahead and read/watch whatever you please ~

I don't care for it.

I also don't care for clickbait topic titles where you have absolutely no idea what the topic is without clicking on the thread >_>

2 hours ago, Philip027 said:

I don't care for it.

I also don't care for clickbait topic titles where you have absolutely no idea what the topic is without clicking on the thread >_>

Well it was not intended to be clickbait. The reason I did not include BL/yaoi in the title was because it's something personal to me and still pretty embarrassing for me, a little too embarrassing to put in a title.

3 hours ago, nate-1234 said:

Well it was not intended to be clickbait. The reason I did not include BL/yaoi in the title was because it's something personal to me and still pretty embarrassing for me, a little too embarrassing to put in a title.

I understand why you titled it how you did. It is a tad bit embarassing for me and I had my phases as well with for some years but I've outgrown it I still don't like to talk about it. So don't worry about those who  misinterpret stuff like the title then blame you for them making the choice of clicking the title and being disappointed. 

My only problem when I liked BL was this trend of making one character be bothered by sexual assault then start to like it midway in between...like wtf. 

1 hour ago, Rhaenys said:

My only problem when I liked BL was this trend of making one character be bothered by sexual assault then start to like it midway in between...like wtf. 

This though.. >_< I feel the same. There's quite a lot of trends in shounen-ai that makes me shudder and ask why it has to be a thing. It's even more worrisome when it becomes something popular, and likely featured in other BL series. I always skip over those scenes if I see it, but due to it being so common, I hardly ever try to read new yaoi these days. I get that there are people who are into it, but I don't know..

1 hour ago, Crayvon said:

It's totally understandable! If I were in your position I would I've done the same.

Even though you fell for it, doesn't mean you should blame someone for the misleading title. The reason why is understandable.

After reading it, you could have just, you know move on without posting about it.

Whenever it's a clickbait or not, you decided by your own will to click on it.

Also there's a feature on AVEN that if you let your mouse lie on the topic title for a moment, then a venster should appear with what the topic is about. 

It's relatable, I think some of them are too much. c'mon, why make "meh" parts with a ghost or justifying things that shouldn't? *shudders*

BL is becoming oversexualized, I pretty sure that as soon as people start dating they don't immediately think about sex?

Thank you for understanding, I was thinking the exact same thing. 

Also, I agree that yaoi is a little oversexualized, I like smut but I want some character, relationship, and plot development as well.

I am one of those people who "like" some yaoi with sexual assault (I know that sounds really wrong but let me explain), I like the dominant (all powerful) and submissive (powerless) role. I would never be okay with it in real life, but I like it in BL from time to time. It is really hard to explain why, I think for me it is arousing to see a aesthetically hot masculine man dominate a cute weaker male in such an intimate way. It's the combination of two aesthetically attractive guys and the power discrepancy among two males for me as far as smut is concerned.

1 hour ago, Crayvon said:

It's relatable, I think some of them are too much. c'mon, why make "meh" parts with a ghost or justifying things that shouldn't? *shudders*

BL is becoming oversexualized, I pretty sure that as soon as people start dating they don't immediately think about sex?

Agreed. Also as a belated disclaimer, I don't mean to come off as if I am shaming anyone who likes it. I'm hoping that I'm not offending anyone when I say it. :c (generally speaking here) if it's something that someone is into, then there's no issue. It's just personally not my type of thing, and I only worry that very few who do read it will get the wrong idea, and justify it as okay, like you said.

I also completely agree with you about yaoi being oversexualized. To romanticize/sexualize two or more people of the same sex was it's purpose of being a thing. However, the story and pairing only being created just for them to do it so incessantly is watering down the storyline in my opinion. I suppose that the term "sex sells" is being taken literally, but at least it's benefitting for those who see it as a positive.

Even though you fell for it, doesn't mean you should blame someone for the misleading title. The reason why is understandable.

Yeah no, I'm still going to put the blame on the poster in this case.  Clickbait headers are pretty much an internet plague (even otherwise credible news sources do this to get more views and it's really obnoxious)

Something the OP could have done is put in something like (content warning) or (personal subject matter) or whatever in the title to make it clear that it's something of a sensitive enough nature to not want to include in the title.  In this case, I'd have been more understanding.  But as I said, readers would have no idea without actually clicking the thread.

Also there's a feature on AVEN that if you let your mouse lie on the topic title for a moment, then a venster should appear with what the topic is about.

Which doesn't work from the "recent new threads" list from the forum list, which is where I saw this topic.

27 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

Yeah no, I'm still going to put the blame on the poster in this case.  Clickbait headers are pretty much an internet plague (even otherwise credible news sources do this to get more views and it's really obnoxious)

Something the OP could have done is put in something like (content warning) or (personal subject matter) or whatever in the title to make it clear that it's something of a sensitive enough nature to not want to include in the title.  In this case, I'd have been more understanding.  But as I said, readers would have no idea without actually clicking the thread.

Which doesn't work from the "recent new threads" list from the forum list, which is where I saw this topic.

Okay, I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from, but I was not intentionally clickbaiting by any means and I would never do something like that consciously. I have no dubious intentions to trick you or to lure you or anyone in so to speak. Also, I am new here so I am not as experienced of a poster such as yourself so please cut me some slack. I think you are taking this a little bit too far and I do not want to discuss this topic with you any more. So, I am asking you to kindly stop, but you are very welcome to participate in our discussion ^_^

Okay, I understand what you are saying and where you are coming from, but I was not intentionally clickbaiting by any means and I would never do something like that consciously.

I get that you weren't.  I'm just letting you know that that IS what you did, even if it was accidental.  Like I said, in the future if you want to avoid putting a sensitive subject in a title, at least convey that the subject is sensitive in that title, so that people will be more understanding and not recognize it as clickbait.  Your title, as it currently is, is useless for conveying anything about what the subject is.

My beef is more with the person who is more like "well it's your fault you fell for it!" because that's just bollocks.  The onus is on the speaker to convey their messages properly, not for the listeners to be mind readers.

Hmm I’ve been thinking about it and I guess I like yaoi and Shouteni Ai because it seems more equal in a sense. In straight romace is is more opposites attract but in Yaoi the only thing that they navigate is not only the genders but the personality? Also because I have a less evil stereotype of men and romance. But it feels more simple ?

Oh this is my favorite it’s realy slow in the romance part but it’s nice and really cute.

Harukaze no Etranger

7 minutes ago, :)(: said:

Hmm I’ve been thinking about it and I guess I like yaoi and Shouteni Ai because it seems more equal in a sense. In straight romace is is more opposites attract but in Yaoi the only thing that they navigate is not only the genders but the personality? Also because I have a less evil stereotype of men and romance. But it feels more simple ?

Oh this is my favorite it’s realy slow in the romance part but it’s nice and really cute.

Harukaze no Etranger

I find those aspects appealing as well. A romance between two boys feels pure yet sensual, simple but passionate.

Also, I will definitely check that out, thank you.

On 12/7/2017 at 1:16 AM, :)(: said:

Oh I especially like Shounen Ai for the same reasons any recommendations ????? 

My recommendations for Shounen Ai are Super Lovers, No.6, and Kyou Kara Maou.

1 hour ago, nate-1234 said:

My recommendations for Shounen Ai are Super Lovers, No.6, and Kyou Kara Maou.

Man, all my memories of No. 6 just came flooding back to me. Definitely enjoyed that series.

I don't think I ever read a lot of Shounen Ai, but always found what I did find rather endearing. It was probably more socially acceptable for me to read them back when I was perceived as female, but I'm also weirdly private about watching anime/reading manga, so I suppose I hide my taste in Shounen Ai by proxy.

Archived