(sensitive topic) For Guys Who Like...

nate-1234

Yaoi and shounen ai, do you ever feel like it's your guilty pleasure and you have to hide it for your life and never get caught with it? I feel like this all the time. I find BL genre compelling because it is a world without homophobia where characters can express how they feel without too much discrimination. In shounen ai I like the plot and how subtle, soft, innocent and pure the romance is. In yaoi I like that there is a dominant/sadistic seme and submissive/masochistic uke, it's sensual nature, and of course the smut. I also am a fan of boyxboy fanfiction of characters from, anime, tv shows etc. for the exact opposite reasons as I stated above, where there is something so exciting about how love between boys is seen as wrong and forbidden and how that affects the plot and how the characters interact. But either way this has to be one of my very guilty pleasures that I feel like I could only confess if it were a really close friend (in person).

So do any other guys feel this way or am I just plain weird.

I used to feel that way back when I was Christian, but I don't now. I refuse to feel bad for enjoying things that don't cause any harm.

I love BL, because as a guy who likes guys (along with other genders) it's a relatable genre of fantasy.

Also x readers are fantastic, they give me the warm fuzzies.

Just now, Flower Boy said:

I used to feel that way back when I was Christian, but I don't now. I refuse to feel bad for enjoying things that don't cause any harm.

I love BL, because as a guy who likes guys (along with other genders) it's a relatable genre of fantasy.

Also x readers are fantastic, they give me the warm fuzzies.

Yeah it feels very relatable to me too and I wish I could just openly read it out in public just like any other genre. However, I am so afraid of someone seeing whether manga or fanfiction and then nasty rumors are spread or worse they try to hurt me. So because of homophobic/judgemental people I don't dare let my guilty pleasure leave my room.

I'm in the middle.

When I first started reading it, I was definitely always cautious in not letting others find out, but these days I'm a lot less concerned. I still get embarrassed talking about it in public (and even typing about it :lol:) but if it's in a shared space where it's welcomed, it's not as bad. The only times where I feel really guilty is when the intimate parts come up. I'm probably in the minority here, but I skip over the scenes when I can, heh.

32 minutes ago, nate-1234 said:

I find BL genre compelling because it is a world without homophobia where characters can express how they feel without too much discrimination.

I feel the same way! I only read it because of that, and also because of the storyline and different characters that exist in the BL genre.

33 minutes ago, nate-1234 said:

Yeah it feels very relatable to me too and I wish I could just openly read it out in public just like any other genre. However, I am so afraid of someone seeing whether manga or fanfiction and then nasty rumors are spread or worse they try to hurt me. So because of homophobic/judgemental people I don't dare let my guilty pleasure leave my room.

Ah, some people are assholes. I've grown up in the South, so there's a lot of people like that here but honestly? If they catch me reading something they don't like that's their problem.

It's hard to be yourself, to do what makes you happy. But at the end of the day it's usually the healthiest choice.

2 minutes ago, Flower Boy said:

Ah, some people are assholes. I've grown up in the South, so there's a lot of people like that here but honestly? If they catch me reading something they don't like that's their problem.

It's hard to be yourself, to do what makes you happy. But at the end of the day it's usually the healthiest choice.

You are right. 

3 minutes ago, Flower Boy said:

It feels so weird for me to hide it, it feels like I am being weighed down as if i'm doing something criminal. It is such a strange feeling.

1 minute ago, nate-1234 said:

It feels so weird for me to hide it, it feels like I am being weighed down as if i'm doing something criminal. It is such a strange feeling.

This is incredibly common. We're social beings, we seek (even if subconsciously) the approval of others. It's safe, comfortable.

But when you get past the guilt you're so much happier, it's peaceful on the other side.

7 minutes ago, Flower Boy said:

This is incredibly common. We're social beings, we seek (even if subconsciously) the approval of others. It's safe, comfortable.

But when you get past the guilt you're so much happier, it's peaceful on the other side.

How do you get past the guilt of it all? 

4 minutes ago, nate-1234 said:

How do you get past the guilt of it all? 

Rationalize it, and figure out the source.

Sometimes it's religious (a loving God would never shame their child), sometimes it's friends (anyone who truly belongs in your life wouldn't judge you for something non-harmful), sometimes it's upbringing (your family doesn't own you, your interests shouldn't concern them), etc.

It takes time, and it isn't easy but it's a relief.

5 minutes ago, Flower Boy said:

Rationalize it, and figure out the source.

Sometimes it's religious (a loving God would never shame their child), sometimes it's friends (anyone who truly belongs in your life wouldn't judge you for something non-harmful), sometimes it's upbringing (your family doesn't own you, your interests shouldn't concern them), etc.

It takes time, and it isn't easy but it's a relief.

I see, thanks.

6 hours ago, Peinture Paix said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I skip over the scenes when I can, heh.

Oh I do this to. Especially when it moves to fast sometimes I just cover the ahem “parts” and read the stuff around it. Any recommendations ?

Seriously !

7 hours ago, nate-1234 said:

In shounen ai I like the plot and how stuttle, soft, innocent and pure the romance is.

Oh I especially like Shounen Ai for the same reasons any recommendations ????? 

10 hours ago, :)(: said:

Oh I do this to. Especially when it moves to fast sometimes I just cover the ahem “parts” and read the stuff around it. Any recommendations ?

Seriously !

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I especially agree with you about some of them moving too fast. In terms of recommendation, if you haven't seen or read it yet, I highly suggest Junjo Romantica. I'd also suggest Hey Class President. Even though the transition to intimacy from casual plot is pretty quick, the character chemistry is adorable in my opinion.

I've watched very little of yuri on ice, though most of what happens in the anime has been spoiled to me. Super lovers on the other hand, I haven't. What is it about?

1 minute ago, Peinture Paix said:

I've watched very little of yuri on ice, though most of what happens in the anime has been spoiled to me. Super lovers on the other hand, I haven't. What is it about?

Super Lovers is a shounen ai they are brothers (one is the eldest and the other the youngest) not related by blood. The eldest claims him as his "brother" and the youngest comes to live with him, but as time progresses their relationship turns into a very romantic one. It is very cute. 

3 minutes ago, nate-1234 said:

Super Lovers is a shounen ai they are brothers (one is the eldest and the other the youngest) not related by blood. The eldest claims him as his "brother" and the youngest comes to live with him, but as time progresses their relationship turns into a very romantic one. It is very cute. 

Ooh, I see. Yeah I've definitely never heard of it, though I don't keep up with recent anime these days so I suppose it's no surprise. Although it's not my type of yaoi, I respect it if it's something that others like. ^^ 

11 minutes ago, Peinture Paix said:

Ooh, I see. Yeah I've definitely never heard of it, though I don't keep up with recent anime these days so I suppose it's no surprise. Although it's not my type of yaoi, I respect it if it's something that others like. ^^ 

What type of yaoi do you like?

9 hours ago, nate-1234 said:

What type of yaoi do you like?

Mainly BL. In terms of what type of plotline, I prefer the type that focuses on more than one couple for a more diverse and outstretched storyline. Although I don't know of any other type of anime that has that kind of plot, besides one. What about you? 

3 hours ago, Peinture Paix said:

Mainly BL. In terms of what type of plotline, I prefer the type that focuses on more than one couple for a more diverse and outstretched storyline. Although I don't know of any other type of anime that has that kind of plot, besides one. What about you? 

Usually I only like there to be one pair/couple. My favorite plot for yaoi (fanfiction and manga) has to be something where there is a clear dominant and clear submissive role where the dominant basically has a lot of control over the submissive. Some of my favorites are master x slave, bully/jock x loser/nerd, alpha x omega.

Janus the Fox

I'm into a bit of Yaoi, mostly the similar Furry Yiff or situated gaming fandoms, king of in line of being a guy interested with other guys, same for Yuri, same for typical straight mangas, or the non-gender conformist manga, like femboy themes.  I don't think too much into it.  It's been a long time since I've indulged in it.

1 hour ago, nate-1234 said:

Usually I only like there to be one pair/couple. My favorite plot for yaoi (fanfiction and manga) has to be something where there is a clear dominant and clear submissive role where the dominant basically has a lot of control over the submissive. Some of my favorites are master x slave, bully/jock x loser/nerd, alpha x omega.

Neat c: I like the athletic and nerdy pairing too. That type of couple is really cute. 

4 hours ago, Peinture Paix said:

Neat c: I like the athletic and nerdy pairing too. That type of couple is really cute. 

Agreed. I also like when one boy is cute/pretty and small/weak and the other is masculine/hot and tall/strong. I usually can not get into it without that aesthetic match.

25 minutes ago, nate-1234 said:

Agreed. I also like when one boy is cute/pretty and small/weak and the other is masculine/hot and tall/strong. I usually can not get into it without that aesthetic match.

Really? I don't mind if the couple has a similar aesthetic, but I don't particularly like the look of overly muscular characters as much, so I can understand in a way.

10 minutes ago, Peinture Paix said:

Really? I don't mind if the couple has a similar aesthetic, but I don't particularly like the look of overly muscular characters as much, so I can understand in a way.

Well I am more picky about it with manga because it's more visual than fanfiction or wattpad stories. I can not explain why I am so drawn to that aesthetic pairing though...

Archived