The "sex is healthy" rhetoric

everywhere and nowhere

I'm not sure sexuals feel as guilty as you may think, though I notice you're in the mid West so things may be different than here in Europe. If you're sexual, not having sexual can be unhealthy in the same way that being deprived of other forms of human contact would be unhealthy.

Some sexuals do, but at least in the Western Hemisphere people are overcoming their guilt, and have been for the past few decades. I will point out that a lot of females are routinely shamed for acting on their wants (you know, slut-shaming--even when that person isn't a "slut"), and that can lead to guilt and embarrassment regarding sex-related desires. I can think of a number of examples that I've witnessed, felt, or otherwise came across just in the past few years. Nevertheless, I believe that the "hyper-presence of sexual topics," as OP put it, is more directly the backlash of thousands of years of people hating and discouraging sex, rather than it is sexuals justifying their sexuality. I don't believe they need their sexuality justified in most places (not including areas of the Middle East, for example, but that's an entirely different topic).

Anyway . . . it bothers me to a small, tiny extent, because I recognize that there ARE health benefits to having sex. What actually pisses me off is when people say that it's unhealthy to not have sex, with a period at the end, or otherwise may be scolded for not having sex because of "health reasons." I am all for people understanding the benefits of sex, but I am also all for people understanding the potential negatives of it (and no, not just in asexuals).

Archived