Intrusive thoughts

Chrissy Noelle

Chrissy Noelle

Sometimes my brain will receive intrusive thoughts. I recently acknowledged what that actually means but it's not a lot I know about.

Sometimes I randomly think "What if I chopped my finger off?" or "What if I stabbed my pet?" And I would never ever actually do that. But sometimes sexual intrusive thoughts are involved. "Hey what if I had sex with that random person on the street?" Or "What if I had sex with my best friend?" ETC. I've never actually gone "Hey that's actually not a bad idea, I WANT to have sex with so-and-so" however. I know that one can have sexual intrusive thoughts and are classified as intrusive thoughts, but does this correlate with being asexual? Are these just intrusive thoughts or would these be something an asexual doesn't have? If you're an asexual, have you had random passing thoughts like these? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I just thought about it. 

No, these thoughts don't mean that you're not asexual. Any kind of intrusive thoughts can occur, regardless of whether you would actually do the action. For example, some people with OCD have intrusive thoughts about hurting their friends and family, even though they would never do it. (I'm not saying you have OCD, just saying that what you're experiencing is not uncommon or wrong.)

• Like 2

Yeah, these thoughts can happen, even if you are asexual. I broadly consider myself as ace, and I definitely had thoughts like these just pass through my head because they just come up as random hypotheticals. They probably come up less often than what a sexual person may experience though. 

There's one thing for certain about intrusive thoughts. If you watch a lot of serial killer files late at night they become more messed up. Hahaha, whoops :P 

• Like 1
Elftober Country

The other day I was sat at my desk at work and suddenly thought "what if I just started screaming at the top of my lungs?"

I often imagine, as I go about my day teaching in a very ordinary boring way, just how much more surreal the day would be if I had been dressed as a tomato.

• Like 3
a minor triad

Just to clarify the OCD thing. People with OCD often have violent intrusive thoughts, but so do most other people. The different between those with OCD and those without it is that people without OCD don't really give much value to intrusive thoughts. On the other hand, people with OCD are often highly disturbed by these thoughts and believe that they are terrible, terrible people for even having them. That is the obsession part of OCD. The compulsion part is what people with OCD feel they have to do to get rid of those thoughts. Note that this isn't what happens to everyone with OCD, but it is a general pattern.

My point is that everyone has obtrusive thoughts, and while it might be distressing, it is normal.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
19 hours ago, banoffeepie said:

I often imagine, as I go about my day teaching in a very ordinary boring way, just how much more surreal the day would be if I had been dressed as a tomato.

Just to end up on my silver plate for the best most delicious 🍅 soup in the universe :D I was actually thinking about dressing up as a reindeer for getting through my daily shift. Soo boring -_-

P. S.: little monsters from hell LOVE 🍅 too!

arekathevampyre

I always have those scary thoughts about hurting those I hate . I mean , I wouldn't want to go to jail or do s*** but yeah it is pretty bad . 

2 hours ago, a minor triad said:

My point is that everyone has obtrusive thoughts, and while it might be distressing, it is normal.

This sounds assuring . :)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

I always have those scary thoughts about hurting those I hate . I mean , I wouldn't want to go to jail or do s*** but yeah it is pretty bad . 

This sounds assuring . :)

At least you don't like the person, my random thoughts are about doing that sort of thing, but without a target. Or worse still a random stranger.

10 hours ago, banoffeepie said:

Casual clothing day? April Fool's day? There are opportunities to try it out ;) 

• Like 1
arekathevampyre
1 hour ago, Lichley said:

At least you don't like the person, my random thoughts are about doing that sort of thing, but without a target. Or worse still a random stranger.

Yeah . But what if it gets worse ? 

12 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

Yeah . But what if it gets worse ? 

What if it gets worse with a non-existent stranger. Like really bad. You at least have a reason why you're thinking that way - you dislike the person, and you're mind is creating intrusive thoughts so it's choosing someone you dislike to centre on.

Janus the Fox

Completely normal, thats just how the human mind works, what makes a difference is behaviour, the compulsion to behave and act out the intrucive thoughts.

Most of such thoughts are entirely fine to act out or put yourself in a situation that facilitate such acts, as long as such is within moral, cultural and legal limits.  Often a problem arises that such morally, culturally or legally questionable thoughts become overwhelming with the compulsion to behave and act such thoughts.

Same with me, at one point I'd love to jump off a high place to desire to fly or teleport like a magician, its also another with the curiosity to bleed out from somewhere in an attempt to feel better, the problem with those is that these are questionable thoughts when behaviour changes, that's my typical change in mood and thought on a day to day without an intrvention catalyst stopping those, like a quiet voice of reason, external support or medication.