Transgender vs Transsexual?

Confused.Kitten

If someone is Transgender, it means they identify differently from their assigned birth sex. If someone is Transsexual, they both identify differently from their birth sex, and also may have sought out for physical changes to match with their identity. Both transgender and transsexual people may or may not choose to take hormones and/or have surgery, but what separates the two is whether the person has physically transitioned or not.

Β 

Edit: Forgot to add some links for a little more clarification, just incase I may have confused you. :PΒ 

Transgender

Transsexual

Β 

I also want to add that even those who are transsexual may still identify as transgender for personal reasons, and that it's okay if they do. Transgender is also an umbrella term, and is easily understood, as with just saying trans since it could be either or.Β 

A shard of glass

Transgender vs Transsexual sounds like a boxing match that's not exactly PC...

58 minutes ago, Peinture Paix said:

If someone is Transgender, it means they identify differently from their assigned birth sex. If someone is Transsexual, they both identify differently from their birth sex, and also have sought out for physical changes to match with their identity. Both transgender and transsexual people may or may not choose to take hormones and/or have surgery, but what separates the two is whether the person has physically transitioned or not.

Β 

Edit: Forgot to add some links for a little more clarification, just incase I may have confused you. :PΒ 

Transgender

Transsexual

Β 

I also want to add that even those who are transsexual may still identify as transgender for personal reasons, and that it's okay if they do. Transgender is also an umbrella term, and is easily understood, as with just saying trans since it could be either or.Β 

I wouldn't necessarily say that a transsexual person has to have had transitioned medically, but just intend to do so.Β 

2 minutes ago, just an owl said:

I wouldn't necessarily say that a transsexual person has to have had transitioned medically, but just intend to do so.Β 

I don't mean to imply that they have to seek it out, I had some trouble wording that sentence there, I mean have as in they may have done so, but I should have added the may there instead of in the sentence after it. :P But either way, thank you for pointing that out!

Confused.Kitten

I saw a Portuguese site who defined transsexual as a person that behaves as she/he was the opposite sex. This included tom-boys and androgynous people and it made me wonder... So even If I like to look androgynous or casually look like a boy.. does that make me a transexual?

Β 

I thought transsexual was an outdated word and was being replaced by transgender since people didn’t like the sexuality connotation?Β (Like being lumped in with bisexual, homosexual, etc.) And wanted to avoid sexualization of trans people.Β 

On 12/5/2017 at 5:56 PM, Confused.Kitten said:

I saw a Portuguese site who defined transsexual as a person that behaves as she/he was the opposite sex. This included tom-boys and androgynous people and it made me wonder... So even If I like to look androgynous or casually look like a boy.. does that make me a transexual?

Β 

That site is beyond wrong

On β€Ž12β€Ž/β€Ž5β€Ž/β€Ž2017 at 2:56 PM, Confused.Kitten said:

Β 

Although the term can vary by region, putting people who are ambiguous in personal behavior has nothing to do with being transsexual. :s Also, I can't say whether you are transsexual or not, as that is more something you have to figure out within yourself, but if you are in need of insight, I can link a gender dictionary that can help.

26 minutes ago, ReyGraves said:

I thought transsexual was an outdated word and was being replaced by transgender since people didn’t like the sexuality connotation?Β (Like being lumped in with bisexual, homosexual, etc.) And wanted to avoid sexualization of trans people.Β 

I thought so too, at least socially. However, the term is still prominent to this day, and even more so on platforms that do sexualize trans people..

As someone who is both, but in different ways (depending on the day):

Β 

Transgender is when your internal gender doesn't line up with what the doctor assumed you were when you were born.

Transsexual is when your external body doesn't line up with the gender the doctor assumedΒ  you were when you were born.

Β 

Usually, they go hand in hand and line up, but they're technically like romantic vs sexual orientation.

Β 

And the "transsexual" term going away thing is, I believe, a combination of not wanting to be confused with orientations as well as ways transphobes have used the term.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

The way I remember the difference of Transsexual vs Transgender, is transgender is dealing with the gender identity, or how someone feels they are, while transsexual is talking about a person who has gone through transition.Β 

Β 

I would recommend using transgender over transsexual, as some have associated it with people who have used it while being bigoted towards the transgender community. In the community it seems to be not a good idea to usesΒ  it either, as it could start elitism among community similar to the "Gold star Lesbian" or "Gold star Gay" except between those whoΒ could go through transitions and those who have not or could not, and the transcommunity doesn't need this type of divide.Β 

Confused.Kitten

I admit I felt super weird cuz I had to present the definition I told you in a college presentation and when people read it they kinda looked at me... It was weird :P

I dont think I'm trans.. I feel more like a girl who likes to own this androginous look. Sometimes it's cool to look like a boy , just that. Wear confy clothes and stuff

Archived