Favorite Christmas movie(s)?

1 minute ago, flagsforhippos said:

@TheAP but Home Alone has got songs like Rockin Around the Christmas Tree and every house on the street has lights, there's snow everywhere and it's even got a character called Marley...also Kevin learns the value of family (to me loved ones coming together is the best thing about Christmas )

It definitely feels Christmassy enough for me :)

OK. Maybe I have to see it again to come up with an informed opinion.

1 hour ago, fuzzipueo said:

The McCallister family is preparing to spend Christmas in Paris, gathering at Peter and Kate's home outside of Chicago on the night before their departure. Peter and Kate's youngest son, eight-year-old Kevin, is being ridiculed by his siblings and cousins. A fight with his older brother, Buzz, results in Kevin getting sent to the third floor of the house for punishment, where he wishes that his family would disappear. During the night, heavy winds cause damage to power lines, which causes a temporary power outage and resets the alarm clocks, causing the entire family to oversleep. In the confusion and rush to get to the airport, Kevin is accidentally left behind.

I mean, that's pretty much what I said. Christmas is the setting, but it's more about him being home alone and fighting off the burglars. That doesn't make it any less of a Christmas movie, but still I think I nailed it.

4 hours ago, EmotionalAndroid said:

We're No Angels

It's been so long since I've seen that! I didn't remember the Christmas link.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Warrior said:

Miracle on 34th Street is another good one.

Yes! I like the older version with Natalie Wood playing the girl.

3 hours ago, OptimisticPessimist said:

Love Actually 

Elf

The Holiday

Muppet's Christmas Carol

Good list! :D

2 hours ago, flagsforhippos said:

@fuzzipueo

Spoilered for those who haven't seen The Great Escape

Hide contents

I haven't seen it in a long time so my memory may be playing tricks on me, but weren't some of the escapees captured and executed at the end?

Spoiler

Yeah, very few actually get away without getting killed and/or recaptured. (not sure why we need to spoiler a movie that is over half a century old. :lol:

1 hour ago, fuzzipueo said:

The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far

Yes! I would add in The Battle of the Bulge, too. :) (and it takes place in the Winter)

In the US The Sound of Music seems to get played more around Christmas time. The Wizard of Oz was always played around this time of year, too.

flagsforhippos
17 minutes ago, daveb said:

not sure why we need to spoiler a movie that is over half a century old.

Many an oldie has been spoiled for me @daveb, someone told me the ending to Psycho when I was 12 and I'm still annoyed about it.

1 hour ago, flagsforhippos said:

@TheAP but Home Alone has got songs like Rockin Around the Christmas Tree and every house on the street has lights, there's snow everywhere and it's even got a character called Marley...also Kevin learns the value of family (to me loved ones coming together is the best thing about Christmas )

It definitely feels Christmassy enough for me :)

Is Marley a Christmas name??? I don’t understand why Home Alone or Die Hard or other movies that just happen to take place in winter are considered Christmas movies. In fact, I’ve only heard this view this year for the first time.

1 minute ago, Graceful said:

Is Marley a Christmas name?

Yep, from Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol. :)

flagsforhippos

Is there some sort of checklist that determines whether a film counts as a Christmas movie or not?

19 minutes ago, flagsforhippos said:

Is there some sort of checklist that determines whether a film counts as a Christmas movie or not?

There is. You didn't know about the checklist?! :o

The Muppet Christmas Carol! Definitely my absolute favorite, bar none. Close runner's up: a Christmas Story, and Elf. There's others I like too, but those are the top three. 

Home alone, Nightmare Before Christmas and Die Hard

The Polar Express - I MUST see this every year!

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the original 1966 short)

A Charlie Brown Christmas - this reminds me so much of my childhood :'( 

Home Alone

I love all the Christmas movies!

One movie/tv special that I really love that I don't think has been mentioned is Olive the Other Reindeer. So cute! 

14 hours ago, Graceful said:

I don’t understand why Home Alone or Die Hard or other movies that just happen to take place in winter are considered Christmas movies. In fact, I’ve only heard this view this year for the first time.

Because people like silliness with their holiday cheer and Bruce Willis is worth watching? Also, Home Alone, Die Hard and Lethal Weapon don't "just happen to take place in winter". Home Alone is structured around the holiday. Die Hard and Lethal Weapon go out of their way to make it clear that Christmas is taking place, if in the background.

favorite: Nightmare before Christmas

but I also like: Johnny Bravos Christmas, Olive the other Reindeer, Scrooge (1951 version), Scrooged :P , oh, and the twilight zones Christmas special, that is also great 

Die Hard (best one on this list...and John McClane does write "Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho" on that note, how is that not Christmassy?)

Nightmare Before Christmas

Jingle All The Way

Elf

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Love Actually, A Christmas Story, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Mickey's Christmas Carol, Scrooged

On 04/12/2017 at 3:28 PM, that._.irish._.girl said:

Die Hard... :D

People say Die Hard isn't an xmas movie. Those people are wrong (sorry but they are). It's the best xmas movie ever and I've overanalysised it to proves it.

Also Bad Santa, just due to the ending alone (yeah defo going to hell for laughing so hard at it :lol:).

I've never seen Die Hard but I've heard of it and I never would have guessed it was a Christmas movie lol.

Anyway, I like Christmas Vacation, and some of the many adaptations of A Christmas Carol.

45 minutes ago, Gloomy said:

I've never seen Die Hard but I've heard of it and I never would have guessed it was a Christmas movie lol.

Some people consider it a Christmas movie because it takes place during an office Christmas party. To me a Christmas movie is a movie that is about Christmas or Christmas is integral to the story/plot. But to each their own. :)

I wouldn't call When Harry Met Sally a Christmas movie, but it's associated with Christmas in my mind, because of a couple of short scenes that take place during Christmas, and for personal reasons.

A Muppet's Christmas Carol is the only Christmas movie for me!

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

On 06/12/2017 at 9:34 PM, daveb said:

Some people consider it a Christmas movie because it takes place during an office Christmas party. To me a Christmas movie is a movie that is about Christmas or Christmas is integral to the story/plot. But to each their own. :)

Ok that has triggered me to share the overanalyis the movie now! But I show how it has themes of xmas movies too!

Spoiler just to avoid spoiling the movie

So one christmas I spotted 3 xmas movie based stories in 1. I shall name them after the character it represents:

THE STORY OF ARGYLL (to become someone). This is a kid (1st time limo driver) who doesn't think he'll amount to anything and is a bit all abiut himself. But he also shows rhat he has the heart of gold by offering to stay behind and wait for John McClane who attends an office party, to help him get home in style regardless if John wins over his wife. While waiting he's enjoying himself having a drink with a large teddy bear when he discovers that he is trapped. Escape seems impossible. His time trapped in the parking lot however shiws him a choice near the end of the movie, the baddies escape plan. Argyll has a choice, become a hero but possibly lose his job on his 1st day, or keep his job and guarentee escape. He had to do something, so crashes his limo and stops the baddies fake ambulance and knocks out the driver. With limo now already damaged, he rams a barrier to take John and Holly home, as a Hero who ensured Xmas was saved.

The story of Al (to redeem himself). Sargent Al Powell was on his way home when he got a call to check out an office building which had a fire alarm and a fcc regulation breach issue. At 1st all seems fine and he was about to leave, when a body crashes into his window, and his car is turned into swiss cheese. He stays to be a support for the man who called himself Roy, who people believe is up to no good. Al has a theory that Roy is a cop, which is proven right when Roys identity was revealed to be John McClane of the nypd. Al contines to support John and provide vital information which allows John to save the day. However it forces Al to face a horrible history. In his past, Al shot a kid, who he thought had a gun, but it was a toy. This made it impossible for Alnto use his gun ever again. After the baddies were stopped, Al and John meet with a huge embrase after all that John had gone through. When all apeared safe, 1 last baddie appeared to kill John. Al without any hesitation drew the gun he feared to use, and shot 4 times to put the guy down, becoming a Hero who ensured Xmas was saved.

And finally

The Story of John (to win his family back) NYPD police office John McClane arrives into LA to attend his wife, Holly, office xmas party, and hopefully spend xmas with his family. He gets a nice suprise of a limo, driven by Argyll, for him by Holly's boss. After introductions and an arguement with Holly, John is left alone when the baddies strike and hold everyone in the office hostage. John is able to get away unnotifed, and has 1 plan, to attract police attention. After a few plans fail, and seeing Holly's boss being killed, he eventually manages to get a cops attention so that the police will get involved. Getting infirmation from Sargent Al Powell, John is able to make the LAPDs mistakes less costly, and discovers the baddies ultimate escape plan, which he foils. When John eventually confronts Hans Grubber, the big baddie, being out gunned and manned, and Holly being used as a human shield, Jihn is able to kill Hans and save Holly from falling out of an office window. Wkth the baddies plan stopped, John and Holly finally meet Al, who saves John, and finally get Argyll tobdrive them bith home, knowing that John is a hero who ensured Xmas was saved.

Also don't care what anyone says, everyone including real men cry when John and Al hugs each other at the end, and\or when Al shoots Karl (if they don't cry then, cheer like hell).

Actually saw Die Hard on my flight home yesterdat in BAs xmas movie selection. Took alot of will power for me not to laugh, cheer and cry outloud while watching this brilliant xmas movie while nearly everone else was asleep

To me "Untamed Heart" is the best Christmas movie ever :) 

Every Christmas I see this movie! :D

On 12/7/2017 at 7:37 AM, Scott1989 said:
On 12/5/2017 at 7:34 PM, daveb said:

Ok that has triggered me to share the overanalyis the movie now! But I show how it has themes of xmas movies too!

Spoiler just to avoid spoiling the movie

Reveal hidden contents

So one christmas I spotted 3 xmas movie based stories in 1. I shall name them after the character it represents:

THE STORY OF ARGYLL (to become someone). This is a kid (1st time limo driver) who doesn't think he'll amount to anything and is a bit all abiut himself. But he also shows rhat he has the heart of gold by offering to stay behind and wait for John McClane who attends an office party, to help him get home in style regardless if John wins over his wife. While waiting he's enjoying himself having a drink with a large teddy bear when he discovers that he is trapped. Escape seems impossible. His time trapped in the parking lot however shiws him a choice near the end of the movie, the baddies escape plan. Argyll has a choice, become a hero but possibly lose his job on his 1st day, or keep his job and guarentee escape. He had to do something, so crashes his limo and stops the baddies fake ambulance and knocks out the driver. With limo now already damaged, he rams a barrier to take John and Holly home, as a Hero who ensured Xmas was saved.

The story of Al (to redeem himself). Sargent Al Powell was on his way home when he got a call to check out an office building which had a fire alarm and a fcc regulation breach issue. At 1st all seems fine and he was about to leave, when a body crashes into his window, and his car is turned into swiss cheese. He stays to be a support for the man who called himself Roy, who people believe is up to no good. Al has a theory that Roy is a cop, which is proven right when Roys identity was revealed to be John McClane of the nypd. Al contines to support John and provide vital information which allows John to save the day. However it forces Al to face a horrible history. In his past, Al shot a kid, who he thought had a gun, but it was a toy. This made it impossible for Alnto use his gun ever again. After the baddies were stopped, Al and John meet with a huge embrase after all that John had gone through. When all apeared safe, 1 last baddie appeared to kill John. Al without any hesitation drew the gun he feared to use, and shot 4 times to put the guy down, becoming a Hero who ensured Xmas was saved.

And finally

The Story of John (to win his family back) NYPD police office John McClane arrives into LA to attend his wife, Holly, office xmas party, and hopefully spend xmas with his family. He gets a nice suprise of a limo, driven by Argyll, for him by Holly's boss. After introductions and an arguement with Holly, John is left alone when the baddies strike and hold everyone in the office hostage. John is able to get away unnotifed, and has 1 plan, to attract police attention. After a few plans fail, and seeing Holly's boss being killed, he eventually manages to get a cops attention so that the police will get involved. Getting infirmation from Sargent Al Powell, John is able to make the LAPDs mistakes less costly, and discovers the baddies ultimate escape plan, which he foils. When John eventually confronts Hans Grubber, the big baddie, being out gunned and manned, and Holly being used as a human shield, Jihn is able to kill Hans and save Holly from falling out of an office window. Wkth the baddies plan stopped, John and Holly finally meet Al, who saves John, and finally get Argyll tobdrive them bith home, knowing that John is a hero who ensured Xmas was saved.

Also don't care what anyone says, everyone including real men cry when John and Al hugs each other at the end, and\or when Al shoots Karl (if they don't cry then, cheer like hell).

Actually saw Die Hard on my flight home yesterdat in BAs xmas movie selection. Took alot of will power for me not to laugh, cheer and cry outloud while watching this brilliant xmas movie while nearly everone else was asleep

Well done!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived