Favorite Christmas movie(s)?

I like Elf, A Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Frosty the Snowman.

Muppet Christmas Carol, for sure!

Others:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original Chuck Jones cartoon version, and it's not really a movie)

Elf

When Harry Met Sally (not really a Christmas movie, just has a couple of scenes that take place during Christmas)

It's A Wonderful Life

A Christmas Carol - 1951 with Alistair Sims

The Homecoming

Miracle On 34TH Street

that._.irish._.guy

Die Hard... :D

EmotionalAndroid

My ultimate favorite, hands down, is definitely We're No Angels (1955). What is not to love about a movie about convicts murdering someone's uncle so that the family can have a merry Christmas? xD

Here are my other favorites:

Shop Around The Corner (1940)

It Happened on 5th Avenue (1947)

Christmas in Connecticut (1945)

I'll Be Seeing You (1944)

Remember the Night (1940)

A Holiday Affair (1949) (Even though I dislike Robert Mitchum)

35 minutes ago, daveb said:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original Chuck Jones cartoon version, and it's not really a movie)

Oh yes! I love this one

Elf, A Christmas Story, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Bad Santa, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Some of my favorites. Not really into Home Alone, to be honest. I know that's unbelievable to many people, but I've never been into it.

1 minute ago, Groobly said:

Elf, A Christmas Story, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Bad Santa, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Some of my favorites. Not really into Home Alone, to be honest. I know that's unbelievable to many people, but I've never been into it.

I can't believe I forgot about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and The Nightmare Before Christmas. I used to have a my-sized Rudolph when I was little.

Yeah, what's wrong with you? :P

1 minute ago, Wish Bear 🌠 said:

I can't believe I forgot about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and The Nightmare Before Christmas. I used to have a my-sized Rudolph when I was little.

Yeah, what's wrong with you? :P

I was surprised to see nobody mention it yet, either. I had a VHS of that growing up and I watched it a lot, even when it wasn't Christmas. :D

Yeah, I don't know. To be fair, I said the same thing about A Christmas Story until a couple of years ago and I watched it with my friends and loved it, so maybe the same would happen for Home Alone. I might watch it again and see how I feel, cause it has been awhile since I've seen it.

24 minutes ago, Groobly said:

Home Alone is good, but does it really deserve to be called a Christmas movie?

Home Alone 1 and 2, White Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon), Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, Miracle on 34th St., and Arthur Christmas.

flagsforhippos

Is it just the UK or do other countries broadcast 'The Great Escape' during the Christmas holidays? 

I don't know what it's got to do with Christmas but it has been a part of the Christmas tv schedule as far back as I can remember. 

47 minutes ago, TheAP said:

People are always classifying it as one. From what I remember it didn't have much to do with it, but if you Google "Christmas Movies" it's one of the first ones listed.

1 hour ago, that._.irish._.girl said:

Die Hard... :D

Lethal Weapon for me - for all the holiday is more background noise in the movie than anything else ...

The Christmas Story - this one gets better each year. It's one of those that you can sympathize with the kids, understand the parents, and just laugh at Ralphie and his endless quest to put his eye out!

The Muppet Christmas Carol. Gonzo and Rizzo for the win!

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (w/ the Griswolds and kin)

The Doctor Who Christmas special annual treat.

White Christmas, if I catch it on TV.

The Thin Man is a good one too. Can't go wrong with a murder mystery over the holiday (which is featured in the movie).

3 minutes ago, Groobly said:
52 minutes ago, TheAP said:

People are always classifying it as one. From what I remember it didn't have much to do with it, but if you Google "Christmas Movies" it's one of the first ones listed.

The whole point of Home Alone is that this kid is separated from his family during Christmas.

40 minutes ago, flagsforhippos said:

Is it just the UK or do other countries broadcast 'The Great Escape' during the Christmas holidays? 

I don't know what it's got to do with Christmas but it has been a part of the Christmas tv schedule as far back as I can remember. 

A bit like showing The Sound of Music at Easter (well, they used to anyway). TSoM has nothing to do with Easter.

Maybe it's the feel good ending - these men managed to beat the odds and escape the bad guys?

flagsforhippos

@fuzzipueo

Spoilered for those who haven't seen The Great Escape

Spoiler

I haven't seen it in a long time so my memory may be playing tricks on me, but weren't some of the escapees captured and executed at the end?

flagsforhippos

@fuzzipueo

I've only just made the connection in my head but TSoM and Great Escape both feature Nazis. Why do the British want to spend the holidays watching films about The Third Reich?

36 minutes ago, fuzzipueo said:

The whole point of Home Alone is that this kid is separated from his family during Christmas.

Meh, it's not really Christmassy enough for me to consider it a good Christmas movie.

44 minutes ago, fuzzipueo said:

Yeah, I'll admit it's been along ass time since I've seen it. From what I remember, I knew he had his family over for Christmas and they left him, but I thought the movie was more about him being alone than it was about Christmas, and Christmas was just the setting. That's just me going off my memory though.

58 minutes ago, Groobly said:
1 hour ago, fuzzipueo said:

Yeah, I'll admit it's been along ass time since I've seen it. From what I remember, I knew he had his family over for Christmas and they left him, but I thought the movie was more about him being alone than it was about Christmas, and Christmas was just the setting. That's just me going off my memory though.

The McCallister family is preparing to spend Christmas in Paris, gathering at Peter and Kate's home outside of Chicago on the night before their departure. Peter and Kate's youngest son, eight-year-old Kevin, is being ridiculed by his siblings and cousins. A fight with his older brother, Buzz, results in Kevin getting sent to the third floor of the house for punishment, where he wishes that his family would disappear. During the night, heavy winds cause damage to power lines, which causes a temporary power outage and resets the alarm clocks, causing the entire family to oversleep. In the confusion and rush to get to the airport, Kevin is accidentally left behind.

1 hour ago, flagsforhippos said:

@fuzzipueo

I've only just made the connection in my head but TSoM and Great Escape both feature Nazis. Why do the British want to spend the holidays watching films about The Third Reich?

For the same reason Americans do, I suspect. It's the 'big bad' overcome in triumph. Sadly, certain people have forgotten what that big bad is and maybe we should be showing more of these types of movies, rather than less. Anyone up for The Longest Day and A Bridge Too Far (most definitely not Christmas movies though).

flagsforhippos
2 minutes ago, fuzzipueo said:

Sadly, certain people have forgotten what that big bad is

100% agree on that

Also agree on Home Alone, it's one of the most 'Christmassy' film there is.

How could they have made it more of a Christmas movie @TheAP?

9 minutes ago, flagsforhippos said:

How could they have made it more of a Christmas movie @TheAP?

Well, I guess I'm just thinking of films like Elf, where everything is Christmassy, there's Santa Claus and Christmas decorations and songs and of course, elves. I haven't seen Home Alone in a while, but I felt it was more about the boy doing funny things to foil the robbers and all that than about Christmas.

"Lampoons: Christmas vacation" is a must for my family every year and I gotta admit that I also kinda like "It's a Wonderful Life"

flagsforhippos

@TheAP but Home Alone has got songs like Rockin Around the Christmas Tree and every house on the street has lights, there's snow everywhere and it's even got a character called Marley...also Kevin learns the value of family (to me loved ones coming together is the best thing about Christmas )

It definitely feels Christmassy enough for me :)

Archived