Weird Food Around The World

arekathevampyre

If y'all are into weird food, check out Shawn Woods's YT channel. His main topic is reviewing mouse and rat traps, but he also teaches survival skills, showing people how to cook rats, snakes, scorpions and the like.

Warning: Some videos are rather graphic.

paperbackreader

Sorry for so many responses in one post....

On 12/4/2017 at 9:37 AM, Yatagarasu said:

Omg!

We make the jello out of chicken or pig broth and gelatin. I like the chicken one ~

As for blood soup, I was lucky enough to eat it cooked by a skilled person.

I'm personally very open to new food ~

Wow what is this jello meat thing called? 

On 12/4/2017 at 9:48 AM, arekathevampyre said:

hahaha not for me !! :D

*runs* 

Kangaroo meat ? Oh no I will forced to eat it when I am in Australia !! 

*prepares to run*

It must be rare , just like how turkey meat is super hard to find during other months here (not Thanksgiving/Christmas period) 

Kangaroo meat is actually really common in Australia. They're a bit of a pest and you see a lot of 'suicidal' kangaroos driving through the outbacks at night. Emu meat is also quite common. It's actually OK - bit gamey. Nothing to write home about - venison is nicer. 

On 12/4/2017 at 10:12 AM, swirl_of_blue said:

In Finland we have mämmi, a sort of pudding made of water, rye flour and rye malt. It looks disgusting and if you ask me it also tastes so! Still, it's very traditional dessert around Easter, and many Finns like it. Us Finns also like salty licorice (licorice flavored with ammonium chloride), called salmiakki in Finnish,  to the point of having vodka, ice cream and other things flavored with it. I don't like it either!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mämmi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salty_liquorice

I can love salty licorice, sometimes. Mämmi sounds interesting....  

On 12/4/2017 at 11:31 AM, lazypanda said:

Steamed rice with unflavored yoghurt....i simply couldnt live without it....but if i think about it...seems like a really weird combination...

What......... I will try this on Friday and report back! 

On 12/4/2017 at 11:51 AM, bonny said:

When I was a child there was this strange white squishy stuff that was sold in butcher's shops, it's called tripe. I used to think it was a kind of fish! (We never actually used to eat it.) It's actually the inside of an animal's stomach. :blink:  Unsurprisingly, it's unpopular these days and rarely seen on sale. 

I LOVE TRIPE! Tripas de ala moda oporto is amazing, as is feijoadas. Also tripe in pepper soup, or cold shaoxing wine tripe, all mmmmmmm. 

On 12/4/2017 at 12:04 PM, Baggage_warrior said:

Here in the U.K. We have prawn cocktail flavoured crisps... basically fish flavoured crisps (or chips as you 'Muricans call it ;) )

Salt and vinegar crisps are also only found in the UK. I always buy a packful for my parents lol. In China you can find cucumber flavoured walkers crisps (called lays potato chips internationally). 

On 12/4/2017 at 2:25 PM, slothdetective said:

In Finland there's also blood pancakes. I don't think I have ever tasted it, and I never will, eugh.

Mustamakkara (black sausage): a traditional kind of blood sausage which is eaten with lingonberry jam.

Ryynimakkara (groat sausage): sausage that contains barley groats. (The texture is disgusting. :S)

Kalakukko: fish baked inside a loaf of (rye) bread. Though it's not limited to only fish, for example you can make it with different roots, vegetables or meat instead. (In which case the first half of the name changes accordingly, e.g. lanttukukko = "kukko" with rutabaga turnip, lihakukko = "kukko" with meat). This is originally an Eastern Finnish dish.

There's also sautéed reindeer (originally from Lapland), eaten with mashed potatoes and lingonberries. This is a dish that I like a lot!

Fish baked in bread sounds really cool. I'd love to visit and try this one day! Lingonberry beats cranberry sauec hands down all the time. What's blood pancakes called? The Irish have white pudding, and the English have black pudding, Scotland has haggis... 

On 12/4/2017 at 3:02 PM, Sleighcaptain said:

Jellied eels seems to be peculiarly south east England dish (and whilst I like them many don't) 

I gave seen pigs brain for sale in France :wacko:

Pickled eggs (just hard boiled eggs shelled and pickled in vinegar) a bizarre pub delicacy

OMG SKY ABOUT THE ONLY THING IVE TRIED AND REGRET TRYING IN MY LIFE IS JELLIED EELS. What's the correct way to enjoy them?!??? Pickled eggs are awesome. 

On 12/4/2017 at 3:36 PM, miettaisace said:

Fairy bread or lamingtons 

the Aussie way 

Lamingtons are basically square Victoria sponges covered in chocolate and coconut flakes. Awesome and better alternative to teacakes. 

On 12/4/2017 at 4:17 PM, OptimisticPessimist said:

Stargazy Pie- Pie with fish heads (and sometimes tails) protruding through the crust, so that they appear to be gazing skyward. 

Omg where is this from!!!!!! 

On 12/4/2017 at 8:00 PM, Palovana said:

In the southeastern US people eat waffles with fried chicken on top along with butter, gravy, and/or syrup. Banana and mayonnaise sandwich is also something people eat, which makes me gag just thinking about. Oh, and boiled peanuts are also a thing, and you can get them with different spices on them.

Waffles and buttermilk fried chicken is getting really popular in the UK. Btw there's a high end 24 hour food and cocktail joint in London called duck and waffle serving just that...

On 12/4/2017 at 8:41 PM, flagsforhippos said:

They sound like they might be quite nice. I've heard acorns are edible when they've been leached and boiled, never tried them myself though.

Pine nuts out of pine cones I've heard of, acorns I haven't now I wanna try!

On 12/4/2017 at 8:43 PM, fuzzipueo said:

In Hawai'i, they have poi which is made of boiled and mashed taro root. The fresh stuff tastes like potatoes. The packaged stuff sold to tourist is evidently not very good.

The best thing to smell in the fall around here is that of chile roasting. Almost every grocery store in the city offers this service if you buy a bushel, then you take it home and peel it for cooking or throw it in the freezer for later. Nummy.

We have taro cake, which is salty and usually eaten for breakfast / brunch or tea, and it's basically mashed taro / eddoes / small yams mixed with a number of other ingredients served with spring onion, chilli, fried shallots and shrimp on top. You should try it :-)

18 hours ago, Dj91 said:

I've been made aware today that apparently Beans on toast is considered strange to other countries. 

Haha. Well, if it's any consolation we serve baked beans with fried egg in it as an accompaniment to congee (porridge like thing made of rice). :-)

16 hours ago, Yato said:

Craziest thing ive eaten is this:

Century-eggs.jpg

The 1000 year old egg, or century egg. Its Chinese in origin. Usually made with duck eggs. 

I LOVE THIS! You can get this encased in a pastry with lotus seed paste. I fed this to a Greek friend once and he nearly gagged. Lol. 

6 hours ago, XYZ96 said:

I'm not sure how weird these food are, but some could probably consider them weird (in the spoilers are photos...)

my favorite food bring up: Matchbrötchen :P (bread role with a chocolate covered marshmallow) 

Reveal hidden contents

240_F_6820826_7sXst0oh9u3eba686sHhrtKzRz

There is type of sandwich here, that is ground up meat on a piece of bread... the Mettbrötchen (I've never tried it though, nor have I ever seen anyone else eat this...)

Reveal hidden contents

320px-Mettbroetchen.jpg

we have a cake that main topping is onions.. it's onion cake... not sure how weird that is, or if it's just that I find it weird that people like onion cake... who knows :P 

Reveal hidden contents

360px-Federweisser_und_Zwiebelkuchen_201

the drink in the glass is is new wine, it's traditional to eat onion cake and new wine in (I think) fall...  

we have any and every juice watered down with sparkling water, and it makes all the juices better :D

also one of our very popular juices is multivitamin juice, it's basically fruit juice, and it looks a bit like carrot juice, so for a while when I was younger I never wanted to drink it because it must be carrot juice, because it is very orange.. 

Reveal hidden contents

image496x496

we have year round colored eggs :P (I think it's to make it obvious when buying eggs, what eggs are hardboiled already and what ones are raw)

we have Rouladen, which is meat rolled up with a pickle in it (and onions, but onions are in everything, so...)

Reveal hidden contents

Rinderroulade-wie-bei-Oma-4f4a5f90ea7fb.

WOW IS THIS GERMAN FOOD! Onion cake looks AMAZING - What is new wine made of?

16 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

Salt and vinegar crisps are also only found in the UK.

You can get them over here as well :) yum yum

On my travels I've come across a few gross things. A couple of quick examples

in Spain, baby suckling pig. The pigs are slaughtered at a few days old 

in France I once ordered 'Pied de Veau' (veal's foot) just to see how they prepare it and serve it. In fact they just cooked it and served it on the bone, from about where a human ankle would be. There were tiny bits of meat/sinew/whatever attached and tiny implements provided to remove those from the bone for eating

paperbackreader

Where I come from, this is a common dessert:  

Spoiler

Image result for cendol

It's made of coconut milk, shaved ice, palm sugar and green noodles made with green bean flour called cendol.  Sometimes you get mung beans and / or sweetcorn and or durian added to the mix. It's perfect to cool down in hot weather. 

This next thing below is a similar thing of a different variant from Thailand; Thab thim krob is water chestnuts coated in red sago flour, served with jackfruit in a coconut milk / shaved ice concoction. 

Spoiler

Image result for thab thim krob

Some other unusual/weird stuff from around the world:

Ice-cream: There was a company in York making black garlic ice cream. There's one near Droitwich currently making Stilton flavoured ice cream.  I've seen Salmon and Tortilla flavoured ice cream in Valencia. In Kuala Lumpur, there's a company making tea flavoured ice cream. I can testify that the last tastes amazing, but the rest of them are downright abominations with the exception of the first, which I didn't get to try... 

Cambodia: Deep fried crickets, locusts, etc. insects - they tastes like like peanuts. Crunchier. Personally, I prefer deep fried baby shrimp with their shells left on. If you've not had that and you like seafood, you've not lived. They also eat something 'balut' there, which is the indonesian equivalent for an unhatched partly formed baby chick still in its shell? I wouldn't google it unless you had a strong, iron stomach... I'm pretty open minded but I had to call quits - couldn't try that. :-X

Japan: Natto, aka fermented soybeans. Most people find the look, smell, and taste of this downright gross. I got told as a kid that it would make my brain sharper and help me get better marks at exams... I like the taste now, but definitely found it gross the first time. I've also had live lobster sashimi before - trying to eat moving meat whilst the lobster's head is staring back at you was NOT pleasant, no matter how nice the meat was. I would not do that again. 

China: I was served a cooked Terapin as one of the meals for my friend's wedding. :-(((((((((( It was OK.

PS: Someone mentioned 'boiled peanuts' : The larger variety is quite common in cantonese / chinese culture - and commonly served as a side snack as you order food when you enter larger restaurants.  You can also get boiled chickpeas, spiced with various type of spices from roadside stalls. 

Poutine always makes me think of the Portuguese's Francesinha sandwich - it's this crazy concoction of sandwich, meat, cheese served in beer sauce. An acquired taste, but nice! 

paperbackreader
7 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

On my travels I've come across a few gross things. A couple of quick examples

in Spain, baby suckling pig. The pigs are slaughtered at a few days old 

in France I once ordered 'Pied de Veau' (veal's foot) just to see how they prepare it and serve it. In fact they just cooked it and served it on the bone, from about where a human ankle would be. There were tiny bits of meat/sinew/whatever attached and tiny implements provided to remove those from the bone for eating

Roast baby suckling pig is a speciality which you will see served in most chinese weddings... it's kind of the traditional thing to have, next to the sharks fin soup... :-X 

I was gonna say another traditional dish the chinese have is pork trotters in vinegar - which is very similar to the sound of what the veal's foot would be - except it'd be swimming in a soup of sugary vinegar and ginger - this is commonly seen as the thing to have during the period after you've had a baby to help you to recuperate. 

They always say that people where I come from are obsessed with food - can you tell yet? xD 

paperbackreader
16 minutes ago, Grinchmer said:

Oh! Where are you Homer - always thought you were from the UK (sorry!)! 

-A few of the really weird ones I've tried while traveling: 

-Fermented shrimp larvae (Philippines). Eerily delicious. I went for seconds! 

-Canned hot dogs (England). I'm curious to what other countries do this. I thought it was awesome, and they tasted great. 

-More flavors than I could care for of Kit Kat chocolate bars (Tokyo, Japan). I love the chocolate bar, and almost felt like I was in heaven when I found out how many hundreds of different flavors there are. Its the only country in the world with this. I believe it has something to do with Kit Kat meaning good luck or something (someone correct me, if wrong), in Japanese. 

One thing I didn't get to try however, was Balut (look it up, if you're not squeamish--yes, you eat everything except the egg shell). You know food is badass, when it can be found on Fear Factor. This was there. I just couldn't build up my mouth to wanting to try it. It just looks and smells horrible. 

I'm usually game for the most disgusting of foods, but that was my limit. I even tried dog meat in South East Asia. No--this isn't something that is popular among the locals. Its actually frowned upon in most places, so you could imagine me walking into a restaurant that served it. I'm used to stares, but this was on a whole other level. Kind of like Brad Pitt walking into your local grocery store, naked. 

17 minutes ago, Grinchmer said:
35 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

Salt and vinegar crisps are also only found in the UK.

You can find them in Canada, as well. Ours are insanely sour compared to the ones I tried in the UK. I preferred yours, as they had the flavor nailed for some of the more popular brands. We call ours Lays, but yours are from the same maker--look the same, but forget what the brand is. 

paperbackreader
Just now, Perspektiv said:

You can find them in Canada, as well. Ours are insanely sour compared to the ones I tried in the UK. I preferred yours, as they had the flavor nailed for some of the more popular brands. We call ours Lays, but yours are from the same maker--look the same, but forget what the brand is. 

Walkers / Lays are the same family yes - :-) You see Lays everywhere around the world and Walkers only in the UK! I've gotta try the Canadian ones - I sometimes add extra vinegar on mine

paperbackreader
3 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

-Fermented shrimp larvae (Philippines). Eerily delicious. I went for seconds! 

Oh my days, this is a specialty of my country too - it's called 'cincalok'...

10 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

They always say that people where I come from are obsessed with food - can you tell yet? xD 

yes :D

I have my moments too. Two weekends ago I was in Amiens with another Avenite. The Christmas Market had just started. Whilst she was mainly interested in architecture and wild-life, I kept being distracted away to the various stalls full of food. And the weekend just gone included a full day at the Good Food Show at the NEC (with Lilsi who you will remember from the Bham meet). Surprised that you didn't go (maybe you did)!

14 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

Walkers / Lays are the same family yes - :-) You see Lays everywhere around the world and Walkers only in the UK! I've gotta try the Canadian ones - I sometimes add extra vinegar on mine

You'd love ours, then. Our chips (or crisps if you prefer), are insanely salty in comparison. We Canadians love our salt O_o

I've noticed a major difference between some identical dishes we had. Definitely was walkers, the name I was looking for. 

2 hours ago, Knight of Cydonia said:

Beavertails are DELICIOUS! In Vancouver I think there are only two locations... one on top of Grouse Mountain, and one at the PNE (I think also at the PNE are "Whale tails" which are similar, but bigger). I think there might be one food truck that hangs out downtown too. Suffice to say it's a rare treat on the West Coast. I wish we had more of them.

I love Beavertails! x.x There used to be one at Lonsdale Quay too, I think. It sucks they closed down because it's a little hard to go all the way to Grouse Mountain for one, lol.

35 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

Oh! Where are you Homer - always thought you were from the UK (sorry!)! 

I love how you apologize for that assumption :D German here.

arekathevampyre

@paperbackreader 

do you like to eat chendol ? 

I only encountered steamed peanuts in pasar malams (night markets) , are they similar to the boiled ones ? 

Ugh the live lobster sashimi sounds scary !!! 😨

eww terrapins !! :(

Do you guys eat frogs ? 

@Yato I used to eat century eggs when I was a kid . Now , not really . Did you try salted eggs ? It is a big thing here and we have everything salted egg , from fried fish skin to potato chips and even croissants !!

Weird stuff I've had from other Caribbean islands.

Mannish water it's a soup with goat genitals, brains and heart. It's Jamaican I believe. From that country also I've had something called ackee it's an edible fruit from West Africa but it has toxins in it. I've had it cooked with salfish.

Mountain Chicken from Dominica. It's not chicken but frog.

@arekathevampyre

I love fried fish skin! It goes exceptionally well in sushi, or crumbled on rice! 

What kind of salted egg? Ive had all kinds of eggs. Like eggs soaked in soy sauce marinade for overnight. Those are great with noodles. I also love soft boiled eggs. 

@paperbackreader Century eggs are really weird in texture, so if you are not acquainted with weird textures. I can see why they gagged. It goes best mixed in with stuff. By itself, its like smokey boiled eggs. 

arekathevampyre
2 minutes ago, Yato said:

@paperbackreader Century eggs are really weird in texture, so if you are not acquainted with weird textures. I can see why they gagged. It goes best mixed in with stuff. By itself, its like smokey boiled eggs. 

haha yes !! the yolk is little slimy so I get it that people are scared of it lol 

paperbackreader

I also forgot to mention that the Australians, rather than having salt and vinegar on their fish and chips, tend to have chicken salt (more commonly seen in a chinese kitchen for sprinkling in stirfrys). Made me do a double take. They also have a random, strange thing you can get from a chippy called a 'dim sim' - which I assume is a bastardisation of 'dim sum' - the one I was served looks a little like an unrefined, undisclosed meat, double opening 'siu mai' that's been deep fried. 

@Perspektiv I don't like more salt, just more vinegar! For someone who don't tend to eat them much, crisps (chips) variations around the world has always made me laugh. Where I come from curry, tomato and BBQ flavours are some of the most prevalent varieties you find. Cucumber flavoured crisps are still my favorite.

It sounds like I need to visit Canada, and more of Germany too... (I've not been there properly since I was around 5 years old!!!!)

@arekathevampyre When you're on the verge of a heatstroke on a hot day, cendol is definitely the answer. I don't have it often though - coconut milk doesn't agree with my stomach very well :-X Frogs are quite rare; but you do get them sometimes. There's a place near my hometown with famous claypot frog rice and frog congee. It's... OK. Not gross (tastes like sweeter chicken) but nothing to write home about for me. PS : There's 3 things my parents would travel to Singapore to eat a) Pepper bak kut teh in Newton Circus b) Kuey chap (can't remember where; south east I think) c) Chicken rice! (...the famous one with the super long queues EVERYDAMNEDTIME.) 

@Yato Salted egg (usually duck egg) - you tend to have half an egg as an accompaniment to rice / congee (porridge). About 1 to 2 years ago there was the start of the 'salted egg yolk croissant' fad in most parts of Asia (in the same way in NY there was the cronut fad) - which is basically a croissant, filled with salted egg yolk custard. I fed my greek friend the pastry with century egg. He was fine with everything but the egg - think it's more than just the sliminess for him - the taste, everything - he didn't like it. lol. 

Image result for salted egg Related image

Image result for century egg pastry

arekathevampyre
8 hours ago, Yato said:

@arekathevampyre

I love fried fish skin! It goes exceptionally well in sushi, or crumbled on rice! 

What kind of salted egg? Ive had all kinds of eggs. Like eggs soaked in soy sauce marinade for overnight. Those are great with noodles. I also love soft boiled eggs. 

Yay !! 

Salted duck eggs . 

By the way century eggs are made from chicken eggs :)

arekathevampyre
7 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

rekathevampyre When you're on the verge of a heatstroke on a hot day, cendol is definitely the answer. I don't have it often though - coconut milk doesn't agree with my stomach very well :-X Frogs are quite rare; but you do get them sometimes. There's a place near my hometown with famous claypot frog rice and frog congee. It's... OK. Not gross (tastes like sweeter chicken) but nothing to write home about for me. PS : There's 3 things my parents would travel to Singapore to eat a) Pepper bak kut teh in Newton Circus b) Kuey chap (can't remember where; south east I think) c) Chicken rice! (...the famous one with the super long queues EVERYDAMNEDTIME.) 

I see !! Yeah but I am not really a dessert person unless it is tao suan (sweet yellow bean dessert eaten with fried dough sticks) . 

Frog meat is very common here in Singapore , along with venison , terrapin and alligator . :(

Not my thing though haha

Ohh I have not tried the Newton Circus Bak Kut Teh !! Have to go there someday haha 

I am not very sure about kway chap because I don't eat innards :P

Is the chicken rice the one at Maxwell Market ? 

Luftschlosseule

Another weird German thing, meaning you can buy it in supermarkets: Chocolate pizza.

Pizza covered with bits of chocolate, yes. The first two to three bites are quite good, but then it's a fight to get everything down.

And as a fan of Italian pizza, may we talk about American pizza? What are you guys doing to the poor thing?

slothdetective
12 hours ago, paperbackreader said:

What's blood pancakes called?

It's called verilettu (pl. -letut) or verilätty (pl. -lätyt) in Finnish :D

flagsforhippos
12 hours ago, paperbackreader said:

They're a bit of a pest and you see a lot of 'suicidal' kangaroos driving through the outbacks at night.

:D when I read this I pictured a kangaroo driving a car :P

Pepernoten. We have this delicious food once a year and in all colors :D I can't stop eating these things because they're sooo yummy! Especially the ones covered in chocolate :wub:

vlakte-en-chocolade-coverd-kruidnoten-20

13 hours ago, paperbackreader said:

Wow what is this jello meat thing called?

Probably "galaretka drobiowa" (poultry jello) or "galaretka wieprzowa" (pork jello)

By the way, you Aussies have that sketchy thing called Vegemite. I've heard legends surrounding it and I actually can get Vegemite here in Poland. I'm slightly tempted to get it (thanks, inborn curiosity). :D

Archived