Weird Food Around The World

arekathevampyre

paperbackreader

@Yatagarasu - if you have an english recipe for it I'd be most delighted!!! 

@arekathevampyre - lol - you....

1. We also have coffee chicken / pork ribs. And coke chicken. Both are similar in style and recipe to marmite chicken substituting coca cola / coffee for marmite - I haven't got the evidence, but I think that marmite chicken is the classic and came first.  

Yeah, Singapore / Malaysian food - hard to draw the line - I guess if you have less of an iron asian stomach - go to Singapore, if you want more germs but authentic street 'flavour' with too much salt / dripping / unhealthy and random ingredients come to Malaysia? :-D I don't argue with Indonesians whether 'Rasa Sayang' belongs to Malaysia or Indonesia, so I won't argue with Singaporeans whether Satay sauce belongs to Singapore or Malaysia either, in the same way that Ukranians shouldn't really argue with Polish / Russians / Romania / Lithuania about the genesis and ownership of Borscht... shared heritage is good!

2. I feel all the best tasting and most authentic muar chee has shallots.I get very upset when muar chee sellers don't serve it with shallots (which is most nowadays); in the past - ALL muar chee sellers would serve it with a healthy dose of fried shallots - muar chee without shallots are marauders!!! 

3. Thai dessert - Couldn't remember and had to look it up - 'kanom mor gaeng'. It's really good - much better than tao suan imho. The google pictures show it compressed in to a cake like consistency; but the ones my friend makes is served as a pudding / mash consistency in a bowl with ice cream on top. It's also often served with shallots on top; are you finding a trend here, haha xD 

@YatoWow, I never thought of putting doritos on dry ramen. Sounds like a good texture mix, albeit not very nutritious. I will endeavour to try adding it the next time I make dry ramen! 

Just now, arekathevampyre said:

oh well ... I guess they always assume !!

Well to be fair, a lot of my family was in prison. :P happens when you're poor and you do drugs and drink. I get mad at it, because people thought the same of me. It was very hard shaking off the stigma growing up.

arekathevampyre
Just now, Yato said:

Well to be fair, a lot of my family was in prison. :P happens when you're poor and you do drugs and drink. I get mad at it, because people thought the same of me. It was very hard shaking off the stigma growing up.

Not good :(

arekathevampyre
4 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

@arekathevampyre - lol - you....

1. We also have coffee chicken / pork ribs. And coke chicken. Both are similar in style and recipe to marmite chicken substituting coca cola / coffee for marmite - I haven't got the evidence, but I think that marmite chicken is the classic and came first.  

Yeah, Singapore / Malaysian food - hard to draw the line - I guess if you have less of an iron asian stomach - go to Singapore, if you want more germs but authentic street 'flavour' with too much salt / dripping / unhealthy and random ingredients come to Malaysia? :-D I don't argue with Indonesians whether 'Rasa Sayang' belongs to Malaysia or Indonesia, so I won't argue with Singaporeans whether Satay sauce belongs to Singapore or Malaysia either, in the same way that Ukranians shouldn't really argue with Polish / Russians / Romania / Lithuania about the genesis and ownership of Borscht... shared heritage is good!

2. I feel all the best tasting and most authentic muar chee has shallots.I get very upset when muar chee sellers don't serve it with shallots (which is most nowadays); in the past - ALL muar chee sellers would serve it with a healthy dose of fried shallots - muar chee without shallots are marauders!!! 

3. Thai dessert - Couldn't remember and had to look it up - 'kanom mor gaeng'. It's really good - much better than tao suan imho. The google pictures show it compressed in to a cake like c

1. Coke chicken ? Have not tried that !! 

(why am I missing out on so many things ?!) I actually feel that Malaysian food taste better :)

2. yeah I didn't even know that shallots was part of it :(

and now people are health conscious I guess so they took it away . Tradition is dying out . 

3. Awesome !! Thank you !

9 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

Yatagarasu - if you have an english recipe for it I'd be most delighted!!! 

I can find a Polish one and translate it for you ^^

But not now, because I'm almost ready to sleep (:3 _ )=

arekathevampyre
Just now, Yatagarasu said:

Oh good night to you :)

1 minute ago, arekathevampyre said:

Oh good night to you :)

Thank you! <3

flagsforhippos
1 hour ago, arekathevampyre said:

Nope . How does it taste like ? 

Pickled walnuts are hard to describe. They are definitely an acquired taste.....

Spoiler

1 hour ago, paperbackreader said:

Malaysia also has a dish called marmite chicken - which is essentially deep fried chicken, coated in a honey-marmite sauce, then dipped in to roasted sesame seeds. It's awesome. If you live near Birmingham, Malaysian Delight in Chinatown does a really good version of Marmite chicken - @Midland Tyke - open invitation - though you might need to bear with me ranting about food!! :-D 

Accepted! But if I accept and we don't also invite @Lilsi that might not play well... PM me/us with some dates (before 30/12)

flagsforhippos
1 hour ago, paperbackreader said:

Ex British colonies in South East Asia (e.g. Singapore / Malaysia) thinks it's fair game to add a spoonful of Marmite / Bovril to hot water and drink it as soup

I do this. :) 

I add a bit of tomato juice to it usually, it tastes lovely.

SorryNotSorry
40 minutes ago, Yato said:

So I tried Umeboshi last night. Pickled salted plums.

Holy shit they are sour and salty at the same time.

Ever tried saladitos? They're Mexican-style salted prunes that look like pieces of barite rock. When cured properly, they don't have any prune or plum flavor, just salt and some tanginess.

51 minutes ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Ever tried saladitos? They're Mexican-style salted prunes that look like pieces of barite rock. When cured properly, they don't have any prune or plum flavor, just salt and some tanginess.

Fraid not. But I have had a lot of Mexican candy. Chili-chocolate coffee candy is amazing.

So I found out the other day at work that someone from down south thinks that gravy on chips (Fries for you US people) is weird. Not really as adventurous as some food here though :P 

19 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Accepted! But if I accept and we don't also invite @Lilsi that might not play well... PM me/us with some dates (before 30/12)

Did someone mention Marmite in meal form..    FEED ME SEYMOUR FEED ME NOW! 

SorryNotSorry

"Marmite" sounds to me like some kind of finely ground weasel meat.

we have chocolate with cornflakes in it 

Spoiler

300_300_productGfx_3bba99896cb2c20f13f0a

we also have type of meat that's name translates to "liver cheese" or "meat cheese" (it doesn't taste weird or anything though... kinda tastes like bologna meatloaf)

Spoiler

280px-Leberk%C3%A4se-1.jpg

not so much a weird food, but a weird tradition surrounding food, there is time every year that it seems like everyone goes completely head of heels for asparagus.. restaurants will even have special asparagus menu... (and I just sit there, confused at why everyone has gone crazy for asparagus...)

Spoiler

320px-Spargel_sauce_hollandaise.jpg

paperbackreader
4 hours ago, Yato said:

So I tried Umeboshi last night. Pickled salted plums.

Holy shit they are sour and salty at the same time.

In my view you gotta treat umeboshi like salted egg, a little to go with a lot of rice.... Kinda Asian versión of cheapo no money food. Haha 

Saying that, I once met a couple that told me in Czech / Slovakia, they have a meal that consists of bread balls in custard. As a main dish. Apparently it stems from needing to make do with basics for pre pay day meals... 

paperbackreader
23 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

1. Coke chicken ? Have not tried that !! 

(why am I missing out on so many things ?!) I actually feel that Malaysian food taste better 

A lot less healthy... Haha. Coke chicken is a signature dish of a small family run restaurant near the famous roast duck place... I can't remember the name but when I remember I'll let you know so you can stalk it. It's not far from Kelana Jaya. Marmite chicken is still my favourite tho. :-)

23 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yay thanks! :-3

arekathevampyre
3 hours ago, paperbackreader said:

A lot less healthy... Haha. Coke chicken is a signature dish of a small family run restaurant near the famous roast duck place... I can't remember the name but when I remember I'll let you know so you can stalk it. It's not far from Kelana Jaya. Marmite chicken is still my favourite tho. :-)

Hahaha 

Oh thanks !!

• 2 weeks later...

Canada has poutine (cheese curds and gravy on french fries). For some reason, every once in a while I'm determined to eat it, but I usually regret it when I do.

Apathetic Echidna
On 17/12/2017 at 3:54 PM, Pramana said:

Canada has poutine (cheese curds and gravy on french fries). For some reason, every once in a while I'm determined to eat it, but I usually regret it when I do.

I am so intrigued by this. I love gravy. I love curds. I like chips. but how would they taste together? dream or nightmare?

This is my state's capitol dish. It isn't even well known in the other states and territories of Australia, but I give you the humble Pie Floater

You put a meat pie upside down in a bowl and pour green pea soup on top. You can also add some tomato sauce and it is generally eaten with a spoon. 

The meat pie has to be a mince pie, no chunky beef, and in the general Australian type pie (I say this as other countries have other uses for the word pie).

15 hours ago, Apathetic Echidna said:

I am so intrigued by this. I love gravy. I love curds. I like chips. but how would they taste together? dream or nightmare?

This is my state's capitol dish. It isn't even well known in the other states and territories of Australia, but I give you the humble Pie Floater

You put a meat pie upside down in a bowl and pour green pea soup on top. You can also add some tomato sauce and it is generally eaten with a spoon. 

The meat pie has to be a mince pie, no chunky beef, and in the general Australian type pie (I say this as other countries have other uses for the word pie).

That sounds great. I'm a huge fan of meats pies.

Poutine is one of those dishes that sounds bad at first, actually is kind of good, but quickly becomes objectionable if you eat too much of it.

Calamari, aka deep fried squid

Also lollipops with a centipede inside

A food that seems weird to others is freeze dried pasta. But in a place where I am,  filled with camping enthusiasts, it's really convenient and easy to cook.

(american things that some people find weird here)

-When I've told people where I live what a float is, they often find the idea very strange (a float is soda with ice cream) 

-There are also people (here) that find the thought of peanut butter cups weird and gross sounding, like a friend of mine was very skeptical of the idea before she tried reese's.. (she likes reese's, unfortunately they aren't easy to find here)

-also the idea of marshmallows in cereal (lucky charms)  

drinks:

Spoiler

mixing drinks aren't really weird, but it's done here a lot, and I'm not sure how common some of these mixes are in other countries, but they aren't limited to here I believe, but they're common 

Spezi* or Cola-mix: orange soda mixed with cola (it's one of the best drinks ever)

(*officially Spezi refers to only to the cola-mixes made by the breweries Riegele in Augsburg and Paulaner in Munich) 

Cola-Weizen: cola and wheat beer (in english I think this is called a Shandy) 

Radler: beer and lemonade (also a kind of shandy)

juice-schorle: fruit juice mixed with sparkling water (makes every juice, but multi-vitamin juice better)

wine-schorle: wine mixed with sparkling water

and speaking of drinks, we have a very common beer company whose entire schtick is "we reduced everything down to the essentials, and don't spend any money on designs and side stuff", they're cans are a single color with the alcohol percentage written large on in it and an explanation as to why it is so minimalistic (which, ironically, makes it less minimalistic), it's very cheap basically (couldn't tell you if it's good or not, tastes like normal beer to me, and I'm not a fan of beer, so..)..

Spoiler

Bier-2.png

(the green is radler, the red is export, the black is pils and the orange is wheat)

desserts 

Spoiler

we also have Dampfnudel (translated: steam noodle), which is a type of dumpling served for dessert, and the only negative thing about them, is they usually have to much jam in them in my opinion... (I personally found this both amazing and a bit odd when I came moved here 9 or so years ago..) 

Spoiler

033398aaa12958f730bcd5e66cfda788.jpg

not so much a weird thing on it's own, but it's got an odd name

Bienstich (bee sting), it's my favorite cake 

Spoiler

320px-Bienenstich.jpg

Also not weird, but has a fun name

Kaiserschmarren (Emperor nonsense)

Spoiler

300px-2015_0731_Kaiserschmarrn_Apfelso%C

other

Spoiler

Maultaschen have a fun story behind them, they are green stuff with meat covered by a noodle, and are associated with lent, when you are suppose to refrain from eating meat, but you could eat Maultaschen, because god couldn't see the meat :P 

they are known for tricking an all knowing god XD 

(mostly a Baden-Württemberg thing)

Spoiler

img_00674_130211_000_001.jpg

we also have white sausages... I don't like them (mostly a bavarian thing) 

Spoiler

image.jpg

ugh, with mustard, makes it even worse... 

and the weirdest of all, Schupfnudeln with Sauerkraut, whose idea was it to put Sauerkraut, something that ruins everything it touches, with in with Schupfnudeln, one of the best kinds of dumplings?? and then also stink up the room while they were doing this :evil:

Spoiler

8bb0cacebc74d1ac4974f5152f42a733--johann

Apathetic Echidna
12 minutes ago, XYZ96 said:

float is, they often find the idea very strange (a float is soda with ice cream) 

We call them Spiders in Australia, and some people specifically name the different soda/ice cream combinations after different species of spider, though the names vary from cafe to cafe. For example a Red-Back Spider is coke and cherry or vanilla icecream, a Huntsman Spider or Golden Orb Spider is any of the yellow sodas with a scoop of vanilla. I think I remember one place calling a Mountain Dew/vanilla ice cream an Orchid Spider.

RoseGoesToYale

Not from my area, but I've had bison (tastes like beef) and ostrich (weird because it's steak but from a bird, but it's delicious).

arekathevampyre

apparently the sausage in Mcmuffins from McDonalds are made from ostrich meat mixed with chicken (or something like that) . 

Archived