Weird Food Around The World

arekathevampyre

arekathevampyre
28 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Vegemite

I only ate bovril , which is similar to vegemite/marmite . 

I think you should . It is made of yeast I think but it is super tasty as soup (just add hot water) :)

Apparently the people in UK love it , that's what I know

13 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

I only ate bovril , which is similar to vegemite/marmite . 

I think you should . It is made of yeast I think but it is super tasty as soup (just add hot water) :)

Apparently the people in UK love it , that's what I know

Yes, they do. Marmite exists for a reason, haha.
I can get Marmite in my nearby supermarket too. I've heard that those aren't particularly tasty themselves, but as a spread or added to something, they are actually delicious.

arekathevampyre
13 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

I can get Marmite in my nearby supermarket too.

Awesome . Maybe it is time to buy all the different kinds and compare :)

9 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

Awesome . Maybe it is time to buy all the different kinds and compare :)

I should give it a try ~

Marmite has entered the vocabulary in the UK to mean something that some people love and others detest. This followed an advert run by Marmite with the tag line, "You'll either love it or hate it". Which is pretty brave advertsing, really, acknowledging that a customer might hate the product.

I'm a lover (of course I am, it's food). Usually eaten spread on buttered toast or as a hot drink. @Lilsi and I shared a Sausage roll with Marmite and Cheese (it was made with the marmite and cheese in it, we didn't add it ourselves) from one of the stalls at the Good Food Show. It was yummy!

18 hours ago, paperbackreader said:

WOW IS THIS GERMAN FOOD! Onion cake looks AMAZING - What is new wine made of?

it's made of the same stuff wine is made of, it's just wine that has just started to ferment and hasn't been filtered yet 

well, if you think onion cake would be good, maybe you'll like tarte flambee which is from the Alsace region of France and Baden and Palatinate regions of Germany, it's kinda like a pizza dough usually with a type of cream cheese, onions and bacon on it... though I prefer the sweet version, which is with apples instead of onions and bacon and tastes great

When I was younger, for some reason I always understood "Pflaum'kuchen" (plum cake) instead of "Flammkuchen" (flame cake/tarte flambee), so it always upset me when it had unions on it instead plums :P

Spoiler

640px-Els%C3%A4sser_Flammkuchen_in_Stras

Suesser-Flammkuchen-1602.jpg

so we have this food, that tastes kinda like yogurt, but is thicker and a type of cheese, but it doesn't really usually have the consistency of normal cream cheeses you would spread on a bread and it would be really really weird if you spread it on bread. It's used a lot in dessert and in baking, and it's name is the same sound a duck makes... Quark (though I don't think it's distinct to Germany, but I never saw it in the US..) 

it's used to make cheesecake (which used to confuse me because I thought it was basically a type of yogurt...) and Quarkbällchen, which kinda look like large donut balls.. 

Spoiler

quarkbaellchen_01.jpg

we have salad made out of meat (Wurstsalat "sausage salad")

Spoiler

808073-420x280-fix-schweizer-wurstsalat.

I don't like it, it has vinegar in it... 

@XYZ96

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(dairy_product)

Quark can also be found in Poland. Often it's too watery to be spread on a piece of bread, but I liked eating it straight from the box after adding some salt. I think the Polish variety is thicker, so it lends itself better to spreading on bread.

@Piotrek yeah, I figured it was something that exists in many more places :P 

though it wouldn't surprise me if many foods common in Germany could also be found or common in Poland or very similar things at least.. Poland does border us after all :P 

@XYZ96

We do share some foods, true :)

One of my favourites: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_cucumber#Polish_and_German

(no idea what its "weirdness score" is, though. Probably low :D ).

How about this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasha

flagsforhippos

Does anyone outside of England eat pickled walnuts? I love them, especially at Christmas time.

paperbackreader
11 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

I see !! Yeah but I am not really a dessert person unless it is tao suan (sweet yellow bean dessert eaten with fried dough sticks) . 

Frog meat is very common here in Singapore , along with venison , terrapin and alligator . :(

Not my thing though haha

Ohh I have not tried the Newton Circus Bak Kut Teh !! Have to go there someday haha 

I am not very sure about kway chap because I don't eat innards :P

Is the chicken rice the one at Maxwell Market ? 

Yes - maxwell market!! I can never remember the name haha. Tao suan is amazing when done right - I think I prefer the thai version though (thai version has more like the consistency of thick mashed potatoes; rather than thick soup with individual mung beans in) 

1 hour ago, flagsforhippos said:

Does anyone outside of England eat pickled walnuts? I love them, especially at Christmas time.

10 hours ago, flagsforhippos said:

:D when I read this I pictured a kangaroo driving a car :P

Pickled walnuts : never tried. 

lol - hilarious picture; but suicidal kangaroos are no joke... you'd be driving along in the dead of night and all of a sudden you'd be slammin' your brakes trying uber hard not to hit the damned things just standing in the middle of the road looking pretty... 

9 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Probably "galaretka drobiowa" (poultry jello) or "galaretka wieprzowa" (pork jello)

By the way, you Aussies have that sketchy thing called Vegemite. I've heard legends surrounding it and I actually can get Vegemite here in Poland. I'm slightly tempted to get it (thanks, inborn curiosity). :D

The pictures look really appetising - I'll have to look out for them. Are they served for starters; or kind of generally as a main meal? 

5 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Marmite has entered the vocabulary in the UK to mean something that some people love and others detest. This followed an advert run by Marmite with the tag line, "You'll either love it or hate it". Which is pretty brave advertsing, really, acknowledging that a customer might hate the product.

I'm a lover (of course I am, it's food). Usually eaten spread on buttered toast or as a hot drink. @Lilsi and I shared a Sausage roll with Marmite and Cheese (it was made with the marmite and cheese in it, we didn't add it ourselves) from one of the stalls at the Good Food Show. It was yummy!

Summary of the three: Vegemite is thicker consistency than Marmite, with a saltier taste but a less pronounced hoppy flavour. 

Bovril is beef based and looks and tastes a little like Marmite / Vegemite; with a beefy flavour. 

Ex British colonies in South East Asia (e.g. Singapore / Malaysia) thinks it's fair game to add a spoonful of Marmite / Bovril to hot water and drink it as soup. Alternative uses include adding a small spoonful to rice / congee. That's very seldom done in the UK; but the UK adds marmite to toast and add cheese on top. Vegemite is eaten by the aussies in much the same way that the British do.

Malaysia also has a dish called marmite chicken - which is essentially deep fried chicken, coated in a honey-marmite sauce, then dipped in to roasted sesame seeds. It's awesome. If you live near Birmingham, Malaysian Delight in Chinatown does a really good version of Marmite chicken - @Midland Tyke - open invitation - though you might need to bear with me ranting about food!! :-D 

I heard that someone in Edinburgh was crazy enough to make marmite ice cream... One day I will start a blog called 'Yes, they made ice cream out of that'. 

4 hours ago, XYZ96 said:

it's made of the same stuff wine is made of, it's just wine that has just started to ferment and hasn't been filtered yet 

well, if you think onion cake would be good, maybe you'll like tarte flambee which is from the Alsace region of France and Baden and Palatinate regions of Germany, it's kinda like a pizza dough usually with a type of cream cheese, onions and bacon on it... though I prefer the sweet version, which is with apples instead of onions and bacon and tastes great

When I was younger, for some reason I always understood "Pflaum'kuchen" (plum cake) instead of "Flammkuchen" (flame cake/tarte flambee), so it always upset me when it had unions on it instead plums :P

Reveal hidden contents

640px-Els%C3%A4sser_Flammkuchen_in_Stras

Suesser-Flammkuchen-1602.jpg

I love zwetschgenkuchen / pflaumkuchen! One of London's oldest patisseries is in Soho; and they do a really good version. :-) 

I'll have to try flammkuchen - it looks cool, but not as amazing as onion cake. :-P

I assume onion cake is more savory than sweet? We have a dessert / snack that uses fried shallots (baby onions) that is one of my favourite childhood dishes; it's known as 'muar chee'. 

Image result for muar chee

3 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

I love zwetschgenkuchen / pflaumkuchen! One of London's oldest patisseries is in Soho; and they do a really good version. :-) 

I'll have to try flammkuchen - it looks cool, but not as amazing as onion cake. :-P

I assume onion cake is more savory than sweet? We have a dessert / snack that uses fried shallots (baby onions) that is one of my favourite childhood dishes; it's known as 'muar chee'. 

Zwetschgenkuchen (mit Streuseln) is one of my favorite cakes :D

but yeah, onion cake is a savory cake... 

paperbackreader

All over Asia, people eat this as a delicacy / health supplement: 

Image result for bird's nest soup

It's swallow's bird's nest. And it's actually the saliva from swallows...

It's expensive as hell to buy; the expense mostly comes from the difficulty in a) collecting it from hard to reach places and b) cleaning the damned things. 

It is commonly served as a dessert-based soup. 

2 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

The pictures look really appetising - I'll have to look out for them. Are they served for starters; or kind of generally as a main meal? 

They are indeed delicious ~

It's a kind of appetizer, but I like to have it for breakfast. They are relatively easy to make:

-chicken/pork broth + meat from it

-gelatin

-vegetables you like

-you can add a hard boiled egg if you like

arekathevampyre
16 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

Malaysia also has a dish called marmite chicken - which is essentially deep fried chicken, coated in a honey-marmite sauce, then dipped in to roasted sesame seeds.

Oh my god !! We have this here too but it has a little coffee taste (similar to coffee pork ribs)

arekathevampyre
18 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

I think I prefer the thai version though (thai version has more like the consistency of thick mashed potatoes; rather than thick soup with individual mung beans in) 

Haven't tried it before . Do you have the Thai name for it ? 

arekathevampyre
19 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

We have a dessert / snack that uses fried shallots (baby onions) that is one of my favourite childhood dishes; it's known as 'muar chee'. 

Mindblown !! Didn't know that muar chee uses shallots ! 

arekathevampyre
2 hours ago, flagsforhippos said:

Nope . How does it taste like ? 

My parents made prison food a cultural dish.

It's top ramen, drained, with nacho cheese and crunched up Doritos and spice mixed in and baked like a casserole.

They also had something called "Petro". 

That was fritoes, with hamburger shredded cheese, chili, sour cream and salsa made in layers. It was good. 

I think these foods were made because we were really poor lol. 

arekathevampyre
16 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

All over Asia, people eat this as a delicacy / health supplement: 

Image result for bird's nest soup

It's swallow's bird's nest. And it's actually the saliva from swallows...

It's expensive as hell to buy; the expense mostly comes from the difficulty in a) collecting it from hard to reach places and b) cleaning the damned things. 

It is commonly served as a dessert-based soup. 

Have you seen red bird's nest before ? It is practically the same thing buthas blood in it . Because when the swallow makes the nest , it uses blood and saliva to keep the nest together . 

And the collecting of bird's nest used to be unethical as the collector will throw the baby birds/eggs out of the nest (if any) and take the nest . So the birds die . Or else , if empty , they will remove the nest without replacing with a fake nest for the birds and they lose their home . I heard that now there are rules regarding replacing the real nest with a fake while making sure that the baby birds/eggs are okay

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, Yato said:

My parents made prison food a cultural dish.

It's top ramen, drained, with nacho cheese and crunched up Doritos and spice mixed in and baked like a casserole.

They also had something called "Petro". 

That was fritoes, with hamburger shredded cheese, chili, sour cream and salsa made in layers. It was good. 

I think these foods were made because we were really poor lol. 

Sounds too good to be prison food !!

1 minute ago, arekathevampyre said:

Sounds too good to be prison food !!

It was great until I told someone about it and they were like "That's prison food lol".

11 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

Oh my god !! We have this here too but it has a little coffee taste (similar to coffee pork ribs)

Wow you have tried so many cool and interesting foods!

arekathevampyre
7 minutes ago, Yato said:

It was great until I told someone about it and they were like "That's prison food lol".

But who cares ? As long as it taste good !! :)

2 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

But who cares ? As long as it taste good !! :)

I don't know, sure it's good, but it makes people think your family is a bunch of criminals. 

arekathevampyre
Just now, Yato said:

I don't know, sure it's good, but it makes people think your family is a bunch of criminals. 

oh well ... I guess they always assume !!

Archived