Weird Food Around The World

arekathevampyre

arekathevampyre

We don't have anything particularly weird in my country so I am wondering if there are any in the country where you live . Anything gross , weird or just food that you don't see everyday .

Please share !!

PLEASE DO NOT SHARE PHOTOS AS IT MAY BE UPSETTING TO OTHER USERS . 

All-dressed Ruffles potato chips. Found in Canada only. Best flavour ever.

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, Nebulous said:

All-dressed Ruffles potato chips. Found in Canada only. Best flavour ever.

Sounds good !! 

(making me want to go Canada more)

Here in Poland, we eat meat jello.

And now something that is gross (and not that popular), but tastes good if cooked correctly: czernina - duck blood soup

arekathevampyre

@Yatagarasu Oh we do have something similar to meat jelly here . It is made of braised meat and gelatin . I don't like it but many people in my country (especially older people) eat it . We used to have animal blood sold in frozen blocks but now it is not allowed for sale . I won't dare to try duck blood soup haha  (I don't even eat pig's intestines/liver/kidney or chicken gizzards - my dad eats those pig innards :()

4 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

@Yatagarasu Oh we do have something similar to meat jelly here . It is made of braised meat and gelatin . I don't like it but many people in my country (especially older people) eat it . We used to have animal blood sold in frozen blocks but now it is not allowed for sale . I won't dare to try duck blood soup haha  (I don't even eat pig's intestines/liver/kidney or chicken gizzards - my dad eats those pig innards :()

That stuff sounds a little gross to me like stuff you would find in a witch's kitchen.:lol:

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, nate-1234 said:

That stuff sounds a little gross to me like stuff you would find in a witch's kitchen.:lol:

hahaha yeah !! It is a delicacy here but really , not my thing lol

18 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

Oh we do have something similar to meat jelly here . It is made of braised meat and gelatin . I don't like it but many people in my country (especially older people) eat it . We used to have animal blood sold in frozen blocks but now it is not allowed for sale . I won't dare to try duck blood soup haha  (I don't even eat pig's intestines/liver/kidney or chicken gizzards - my dad eats those pig innards :()

Omg!

We make the jello out of chicken or pig broth and gelatin. I like the chicken one ~

As for blood soup, I was lucky enough to eat it cooked by a skilled person.

I'm personally very open to new food ~

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, Yatagarasu said:

Omg!

We make the jello out of chicken or pig broth and gelatin. I like the chicken one ~

As for blood soup, I was lucky enough to eat it cooked by a skilled person.

I'm personally very open to new food ~

Interesting !!

What about insects ? 

There are lots of stalls selling insects in Thailand :(

Interesting !!

What about insects ? 

There are lots of stalls selling insects in Thailand

Why not? I've heard that crickets taste good actually :D

My main goal as for now is to try kangaroo meat. Legends say I can get it in Poland occasionally.

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, Yatagarasu said:

Why not? I've heard that crickets taste good actually :D

My main goal as for now is to try kangaroo meat. Legends say I can get it in Poland occasionally.

hahaha not for me !! :D

*runs* 

Kangaroo meat ? Oh no I will forced to eat it when I am in Australia !! 

*prepares to run*

It must be rare , just like how turkey meat is super hard to find during other months here (not Thanksgiving/Christmas period) 

1 minute ago, arekathevampyre said:

hahaha not for me !! :D

*runs* 

Kangaroo meat ? Oh no I will forced to eat it when I am in Australia !! 

*prepares to run*

It must be rare , just like how turkey meat is super hard to find during other months here (not Thanksgiving/Christmas period) 

Are you going to Australia? :o

Turkey is common and liked here :3

Unusual meat like shark or kangaroo can be found around Xmas period too.

Also! Did you know that pigeons are edible?

arekathevampyre

@Yatagarasu 

Yes I am . 

Oh no :( 

I see !! We eat shark fins here (not me) though it is controlled . Not sure about the meat but some countries have been using shark meat as food . 

Yes I do . We do have roasted pigeons for sale very rarely - partly because of bird flu so it is controlled

swirl_of_blue

In Finland we have mämmi, a sort of pudding made of water, rye flour and rye malt. It looks disgusting and if you ask me it also tastes so! Still, it's very traditional dessert around Easter, and many Finns like it. Us Finns also like salty licorice (licorice flavored with ammonium chloride), called salmiakki in Finnish,  to the point of having vodka, ice cream and other things flavored with it. I don't like it either!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mämmi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salty_liquorice

Steamed rice with unflavored yoghurt....i simply couldnt live without it....but if i think about it...seems like a really weird combination...

When I was a child there was this strange white squishy stuff that was sold in butcher's shops, it's called tripe. I used to think it was a kind of fish! (We never actually used to eat it.) It's actually the inside of an animal's stomach. :blink:  Unsurprisingly, it's unpopular these days and rarely seen on sale. 

1 hour ago, arekathevampyre said:

Yes I am . 

Oh no :( 

I see !! We eat shark fins here (not me) though it is controlled . Not sure about the meat but some countries have been using shark meat as food . 

Yes I do . We do have roasted pigeons for sale very rarely - partly because of bird flu so it is controlled

You lucky!

Fins? That's interesting

Pigeon meat is also a rarity here. I would try it too though.

arekathevampyre
2 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

You lucky!

Fins? That's interesting

Pigeon meat is also a rarity here. I would try it too though.

thank you !! 

Haha I used to eat it until I saw a documentary about killing sharks for fins and I have not eat it in years :)

Pigeon meat is like chicken . That's what I heard . (if everything taste like chicken , then why don't just stick to chicken ?)

7 minutes ago, bonny said:

When I was a child there was this strange white squishy stuff that was sold in butcher's shops, it's called tripe. I used to think it was a kind of fish! (We never actually used to eat it.) It's actually the inside of an animal's stomach. :blink:  Unsurprisingly, it's unpopular these days and rarely seen on sale. 

Ugh !! Sounds scary !! When I read the phrase 'white squishy stuff' , I guessed it was stomach . But now it seems to be the lining . Eww . I am so glad they don't sell this anymore .

A shard of glass

Here in the U.K. We have prawn cocktail flavoured crisps... basically fish flavoured crisps (or chips as you 'Muricans call it ;) )

46 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

thank you !! 

Haha I used to eat it until I saw a documentary about killing sharks for fins and I have not eat it in years :)

Pigeon meat is like chicken . That's what I heard . (if everything taste like chicken , then why don't just stick to chicken ?)

You're welcome ~

I see!

Taste varies from person to person as each individual can have a different number of taste buds. I usually distinguish food and I can tell apart chicken and other poultry meat :3

arekathevampyre
Just now, Yatagarasu said:

I usually distinguish food and I can tell apart chicken and other poultry meat :3

Same here !! :D

1 hour ago, arekathevampyre said:

thank you !! 

Ugh !! Sounds scary !! When I read the phrase 'white squishy stuff' , I guessed it was stomach . But now it seems to be the lining . Eww . I am so glad they don't sell this anymore .

I used to work somewhere that sold both pigeon and kangaroo. Well the kangaroo was made into burgers. Pigeon is just a stronger chicken. Its not popular over here but you could find it easily enough. The main issue I would have with pigeon is you will usually only find it shot and I hate having shot in meat. Tripe is also ready available over here but I don't know anyone who actually eats it. 

If you want a.... 'lovely' smelling meat try hare. I've never smelt anything so revolting. 

1 hour ago, lazypanda said:

Steamed rice with unflavored yoghurt....i simply couldnt live without it....but if i think about it...seems like a really weird combination...

Is this what we would call rice pudding? Or something else? We also have some yoghurt dishes that you can buy with rice in but I've never seen plain yoghurt with them although don't see why you couldn't use it. 

One of my favourite foods is something called bread and butter pudding which is basically buttered bread in milk and sugar with raisins between the slices of bread and then baked. I don't know if other countries would find that strange but I've never heard of it being sold or being popular elsewhere. 

arekathevampyre
8 minutes ago, Dj91 said:

bread and butter pudding which is basically buttered bread in milk and sugar with raisins between the slices of bread and then baked

Oh is it similar to bread pudding ? that you eat with a sweet syrup (sweetened condensed milk or something like that) ?

3 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

Oh is it similar to bread pudding ? that you eat with a sweet syrup (sweetened condensed milk or something like that) ?

Similar. I can't find any that look like how we make it so maybe my mum's recipe was just strange but I've always loved it😋

arekathevampyre
Just now, Dj91 said:

Similar. I can't find any that look like how we make it so maybe my mum's recipe was just strange but I've always loved it😋

I see . that’s special ! I love bread pudding and it seems like you mum’s version is a more homemade kind :)

I see . that’s special ! I love bread pudding and it seems like you mum’s version is a more homemade kind :)

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gordonramsay.com/gr/recipes/bread-and-butter-pudding/amp

This is Gordon ramsays one but every one that I see always looks too dry or has too much liquid in it.   To be honest it doesn't look nice and is really simple but is one of my favourite foods. 

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, Dj91 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.gordonramsay.com/gr/recipes/bread-and-butter-pudding/amp

This is Gordon ramsays one but every one that I see always looks too dry or has too much liquid in it.   To be honest it doesn't look nice and is really simple but is one of my favourite foods. 

Thanks for the recipe !! :)

2 hours ago, bonny said:

That's really popular where I'm from! We use it to make menudo (but the thought of it grosses me out so I haven't had it since I was a kid haha)

Something else that came to mind is this candy that's in a lot of gas stations. It's a lollipop with a bug on the inside, either like a worm, a cricket, or a scorpion :blink:

slothdetective

In Finland there's also blood pancakes. I don't think I have ever tasted it, and I never will, eugh.

Mustamakkara (black sausage): a traditional kind of blood sausage which is eaten with lingonberry jam.

Ryynimakkara (groat sausage): sausage that contains barley groats. (The texture is disgusting. :S)

Kalakukko: fish baked inside a loaf of (rye) bread. Though it's not limited to only fish, for example you can make it with different roots, vegetables or meat instead. (In which case the first half of the name changes accordingly, e.g. lanttukukko = "kukko" with rutabaga turnip, lihakukko = "kukko" with meat). This is originally an Eastern Finnish dish.

There's also sautéed reindeer (originally from Lapland), eaten with mashed potatoes and lingonberries. This is a dish that I like a lot!

Archived