How and when did you hear about sex and your reaction

Kazka

I was young (? I don't remember specifically what age). My mom gave an anatomically accurate definition that I don't remember the exact wording of, but involved engorged penises entering vaginas being part of the process involved in making babies. I filed that away in my mind in the category of "random stuff big people seem to think you should know, but seems pretty irrelevant to anything useful." I do remember sensing it was something uncomfortable and gross, involving parts of the body I wasn't supposed to be showing off to strangers (and I had no idea of what "vagina" meant, besides "what girls have that's not a penis on the private parts of their body"). This was enough information that I never later "suddenly learned what sex was" --- I gradually added bits and pieces to that smidgeon of irrelevant knowledge, until I could eventually connect it to my post-puberty body. I guess I still have a rather limited knowledge of the finer details of sex, since I've never encountered a vagina in real life (or much male crotch anatomy besides my own) over my past 3+ decades.

Around about eight, one of our pet guinea pigs became pregnant, and I asked "how did that happen?", so parents introduced me to biology textbooks 

Around 5th or 6th grade my school made all of us watch a video about puberty and stuff, my mom exempt me, but borrowed the tape to watch at me with me. Soon after she explained the whole process, i remember think how gross it was, but figured i would grow out of it. I still think it's icky. But if other people want it go for it, just dont talk to me about it. 

19 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

Around about eight, one of our pet guinea pigs became pregnant, and I asked "how did that happen?", so parents introduced me to biology textbooks 

Is that where your textbook collection started? :P

manly unicorn

I don't remember when exactly I found out but I remember being completely grossed out but I figured, that's normal right? Kids tend to find kissing and sex kind of gross. and now I'm 20 but I'm still grossed out at the idea of it and don't really get the appeal. 

I think my mom gave me a book on puberty/female development in 5th grade, while we were doing a project on the human body. 

My project was on the ears. 

10 hours ago, Lanti SF said:

I think my mom gave me a book on puberty/female development in 5th grade, while we were doing a project on the human body. 

My project was on the ears. 

There should be books parallel to educational books on puberty that are about how people age including a section on ears for hearing loss and hair growth. :P

Perilous Poozer

When I was very small and my mother was pregnant with my younger sister. She says I told her it sounded inefficient.

I don't remember at all when I first learnt what sex was, but I remember thinking that it was something people had to do in order to get children and then be done with it. I couldn't grasp the idea that people could want to have sex, or that anything like sexual desire existed. I still wonder about it sometimes but growing up, I realised desire did exist, and thought that I might feel it too someday (never happened though!).

Janus the Fox

Anywhere between 14-18 rough guess, don't remember that far back, the other school-yard kids really and not sex ed, I don't think sex ed didn't really teach the awareness and probably assumed kids at that age are already in the know.  Didn't know at the time I was social learning disabled.  But I remember a lot of giggles through GCSE biology classes where the strict teacher wanted a kid to describe the full mechanical-biological process in verbal detail.

It perhaps then college I learned it more properly at the age of 21 through the Welch Bac, everything but LGBT themes, I still did not really have the social awareness surrounding it, at age 24 is or was my own thorough LGBT study in-between getting introduced with Asexuality and the Autism spectrums.

Apathetic Echidna

being a complete book child I read the dictionary for fun, so when I was 6 or 7 I came across the dictionary meanings. I then had a nugget of knowledge the rest of the class didn't have so proceeded to share my dictionary knowledge with others to make them think I was knowledgeable. I made the soon-to-be-popular girl cry. 

I was 3 years old when I had the talk so I was just like "cool tell me more about life"... 

RoseGoesToYale

When I was five I had one of those anatomy encyclopedias, and I think there was a section on it, but I couldn't read it too well, so I said to heck with it. Then in second grade we had a unit on the Titanic, and our teacher suggested we watch the movie with our parents, if we were allowed. I watched by myself, all the way through, and next class my peers mentioned these "skipped parts", and I was wondering what they skipped because I watched the whole thing. I think at age nine I heard about it in bits and pieces from classmates, but it was still kind of fuzzy and sounded like evil sorcery or just bad secret codes. I think I finally got a clear picture of it in middle school, and by then I didn't care.

My first mention of sex was my cousin (female) telling me about fellatio at like 7 or 8, she was maybe 13 or 14.  I asked my dad about it, and got the first of a great many talks.  I was interested in the mechanics, but not excited.  I got the "talk" once every 4 months from 13 to 18.  Everything from "always perform cunnilingus" to in depth discriptions of how to manually stimulate women. He also took to honking the horn at teenagers in town for me to wave at them hoping against hope that he would find one of them beside me at our dinner table.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

My mum gave me 'the talk' when I was about 10, but she was so embarrassed and inept, bless her, that I just came out of it more confused than I was to start with. To be honest, I never gave it a second thought after that and when the Biology teacher followed it up properly 5 years later, I didn't see the connection to my life. It was still something others did.

Archived