Am I doing this right?

BooTheArtist

This is all new to me, and I hope I am doing it right.

Here goes nothing.

I am asexual.

I have been thinking about this for a while now. Having heard snippets about asexuality, and the more I heard about it, the more curious I got. To the point that a couple months ago I looked into it some more, and was moved to the point of near tears.

For years I have had friends that would be talking about sexual things and think "what's wrong with me? Why do they have these urges and I don't?". 

I thought that maybe it was the way I was raised. I grew up a heavy Christian (not so heavy now) and it was drilled in my head that there is meant to be no sex or anything of that nature before you are married, and that at some point I just made myself not interested in the whole ordeal? But once I read more and found out more about asexuality, the more it just seemed to fit and all the sudden this feeling of "There is nothing wrong with me. There is more people like me" overwhelmed me, and I started to feel better about myself.

I haven't mentioned this to many people. Just my closest friend and my mom. And telling my mom wasn't so great. 

My mom was the first person I told and she told me that "I would grow out of it". And that kind of hurt.

I, sadly, haven't even told my boyfriend of a little over a year, because I'm scared. He happens to be a pretty sexual person, and I feel like this would end it? We used to be good friends before we started dating and I'm afraid that if our relationship did end, that would be the end of our friendship as well.... And I don't want that..

That felt good, getting it all out. Thanks for reading?

firstly cake it’s an asexual thing🍰

hold led up I’ll reply I type a lot give me a sec

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

13 minutes ago, BooTheArtist said:

I just made myself not interested in the whole ordeal?

This really speaks to me cuz I joined a LGBQT+ club and the. Asexual came up and I started worrying that I was just trying to fit in and stuff. It helps to see someone else questioning themselves in a way I guess?

Yea! I thought the same thing! When in high school I kept thinking to myself that if I said something about it, people would just think I was trying to fit in. 

Yeah this is why I like this place so much cuz you can kinda just figure things out and ask questions. Honestly I learned so much...

And the best part is everyone kinda just wants a friend so this is like online heaven for me.😊

Welcome! The most important thing to do in a relationship is communicate. It will make things worse in the long run the longer you keep this a secret from them. I'm sorry your mum was mean, maybe this will help change her mind. http://www.asexualityarchive.com/a-parents-guide-to-asexuality/

Also cake :) 

61f7aefa05a3ff535fd990d0a62d2340.jpg

Archived