Research Participation Request regarding asexuality and discrimination

Sea Lemon

The purpose of the project I am working at is twofold. First, I want to see whether certain divisions of law can be discriminatory against the asexual community as they are (or they were, until annulled or declared unconstitutional) for the LGBT community. Secondly, I want to see whether the cases of discrimination that asexuals face can be addressed either by law, or soft law (recommendatory) policies. This would help me to conclude whether the asexual community may be referred to as protected class under the U.S. equal protection clause and if yes, how the legislature and the judiciary must deal with this emerging class. 

This research is not sociological in nature, so I do not need a large amount of data to analyze statistically. What I need is to talk with up to 10 persons to get their experience of discrimination (whether by law or by the society) and to hear what they think generally of the idea that for asexuals, law can be discriminatory in the same way it is for the LGBTs. Apart from this, I will also focus on discrimination by medical professionals and on how medical ethics might help to wrestle with this discrimination.

I identify myself as an asexual, so I have faced some episodes of discrimination and I have some thoughts on potential discrimination by law. However, I do need to collect opinions from other members of the asexual community to make my research more thoughtful and objective. 

The interviews will consist of just four questions that I would like the interviewees to answer more than yes/no. I will e-mail the questions and the consent form with my signature to each interviewee. They can either answer question in written form, or, if they would like to chat more seriously about the problem, I can carry out some of the interviews via Skype.

This research is initially to be submitted as a course paper for a class in Law&Sexuality. However, I would like to have it published once. Should the reviewers find it good, surely! If any of the interviewees would not want their answer to be included into the version of the research submitted for publication, he/she is advised to indicate it in their answers or before submitting them, so that I can redraft the consent form for them.

If you want to participate, please email dariakotovaa@gmail.com

This research request has been approved by the Research Approval Board for advertising on AVEN.

sea-lemon 

Dedicated Research Contact 

Hi all!

Citizen of any country can participate in the questionnaire. I will need your citizenship/place of residence just to know at what jurisdiction to look for further analysis. However, if you do not wish to indicate it, it's OK.

I will appreciate your answers. Since my deadline is kind of approaching, it would be really great if you could email me your answers before December 13th. 
The questions are not long, and they do not really require a lengthy answer. :) 

In India, impotence is a legitimate ground for divorce, not sure if it is for other countries. Impotence is loosely defined in the law that can easily include asexuality.

What does it mean for asexual people? Their marriages can easily be broken under this law. Like, this law assumes that marriages between sexual people are the norm. 

Look at this for example from a website: http://www.pocketlawyer.com/blog/grounds-for-divorce-india/

"Impotence is the inability to have sexual intercourse. Traditionally, it is thought of as a husband’s inability.

However, it may also be one of the grounds for divorce when the wife is unable to have sexual relations with her husband.

“Inability” means a condition which makes it impossible for one spouse to engage in sexual activity.

This condition may be physical, psychological, or medical.

When a spouse intentionally withholds sexual contact with the other spouse, it’s not impotence.

Likewise, a spouse’s infertility or inability to produce a child is not impotence."

• 2 weeks later...

Did this get many participants? Had I noticed sooner I would have been  willing. 

• 2 weeks later...
Perissodactyla

Has anyone ever made a simple graphical presentation (like in a table) showing various kinds of research projects (proposals, approved or running) and what their status is (plus other features, perhaps)? It would be nice to get a quick glimpse occasionally of how the asexual-related research was evolving without having to read so much text.

Archived