Asexuals/aromantics uncomfotable with romantic physical contact?

Madone

Hi Im new here but have some questions I'd like answered sorry if I'm in the wrong place but here we go

I was in a relationship before with my friend I thought I liked her, but I find the whole holding hands arm over shoulder stuff uncomfortable. I dont know if I just wasn't attracted to her personally but I've had this feeling in the past, is this a symptom of asexual/aromantics? I still like the idea of companship marriange and physical contact, but whenever I hold hands with someone I get very uncorfortable. Also can asexuals/aromantics be gay/lesbian bi etc or are those contradicting terms?

Welcome to AVEN!

Asexuals can dislike physical contact - it's called being touch-averse. It doesn't mean you're aromantic, if you still want a romantic relationship. And yes, asexuals can be gay or bi, if they only experience romantic attraction to their same gender or to two genders. It's called being homoromantic or biromantic respectively.

I tend to be uncomfortable with contact but it more has to do with anxiety. Physical contact makes me anxious.

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

Like The AP said, some asexuals dislike physical  contact (touch averse) ,others don't mind it at all.

I am asexual and I'm fine with physical contact as long as it is non sexual.

Some aromantic like or are indifferent towards physical contact, others dislike it.  It depends on the individual.

Yes, aromantic can be of any sexual orientation. Asexuals, on the other hand,  have romantic orientations (like TheAp stated). Some asexuals are homoromantic, biromantic,or panromantic. 

Not automatically. Everyone has their own level of PDA (platonically and romantically). You could still be romantic but just not be into those specific things. However, asexuality is just about sexual activity (i.e. not desiring it), so I don't see where this romantic incident has a link to that.

Asexuals can be heteroromantic, homoromantic, biromantic, or aromantic. Aromantics can be asexual, heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual. Aro Aces are a minority among a minority (i.e. asexuals). Some aro sexuals and romantic asexuals still use the word gay/lesbian and some don't because it's associated with romantic and sexual orientation matching. An encompassing term for when parts of one's orientation don't match up is cross-orientation.

3 hours ago, Madone said:

...can asexuals/aromantics be gay/lesbian bi etc or are those contradicting terms?

Hi. :) I can understand why you might be confused. To add to others' answers on this topic, some asexual LGBT+ people have said that other LGBT+ sexual people told them they're not gay/lesbian, etc. because they're asexual, but this isn't true, as asexual LGBT+ are allowed to identify with whichever group(s) they wish; so, elsewhere on the internet, it's possible to come across this misinformation.

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Archived