Not Broken

GryphonLover

Hi everyone!   I've been aware of the site for several months, and lurked for a few weeks, but I guess it's time to be a participant. 

I'm definitely ace; I've known since before puberty that dating and marriage and so forth held little interest for me.  Even when I hit my teens, I was curious about the facts of sex without finding them personally relevant.  I thought, maybe as I got older I would find someone special and it would all come together.  But it never did, and when I pushed myself as far as kissing to make someone I liked happy, I felt nothing but embarrassed and slightly repulsed.  I started to think there was something wrong with me, and withdrew from relationships entirely.  I grew more and more unhappy with myself, and I was nearly thirty before a previous therapist suggested I might be 'asexual'.  I'd never heard the word applied to humans before, and it was like a light coming on: there's nothing wrong with my sexuality, it's just different from the people around me and I'm content with that now.  I wish I had more people to share that epiphany with, but my life lately has been pretty isolated.

AVEN came up in an internet search, but I kept putting off making an account to join in.  It's made a huge difference though, to see there were other people like me and we have a lot of shared experiences.  I look forward to staying around and making friends here.

tobi.is.a.gross.nerd

I'm so glad you were finally able to come to the realization of your sexuality. I hope being on here will bring you friends and support. 

Welcome to the community! And be sure to have a good time getting to know yourself more and more!

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Eh.  I'm grateful to him for that insight, but he compounded it with the assumption that it's because I had been assaulted when I was young and was refusing to tell him.  He got pushy about it, and I stopped going and looked for another therapist.

Thank you all for the welcome!

Archived