We need fictional Asexual representations

Recently, I was rewatching the series House. There was an episode where a character is presented as asexual. At first, I got a little exciting seeing asexuality being in the spotlight in such show; however, in the end, I was extremely disappointed, and even somewhat insulted. This was because they present asexuality as a pathological issue of that patient. Now, I don't care I was insulted, but it shows why asexuality needs more spotlight in the popular shows, or at least in television. Another show that was, and maybe still is popular, and has a character in the asexual spectrum was Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. However, this show gives it a somewhat a pathological atmosphere. I know recently that Bojack Horseman show did a quite good job with Todd Chavez. I also saw that a vampire from Shadowhunters called Raphael Santiago was also asexual, but doesn't go too much into it. Another that gives a 'meh' representation is Sherlock Holmes from the BBC series Sherlock.

Why we need it? This is so we can feel comfortable as asexual, and maybe even help a few people to understand themselves better. Also, it's also for others to understand, or at least know of the existence of asexuality. Some may refer to other popular blogs as well, but some have a bad representation because of a few that have use it to spread misinformation or for having extremist on their views, like Tumblr.

• Like 7

totally agree.

There is literally no representation in the media. You have to search for it, and it's usually only subtext.

Another huge issue is the type of representation asexuals get. It's always the sad, lonely nerd. The germaphobe or the science geek. Some representation that wasn't just broad stereotypes would be nice.

Sigh, maybe one day.

• Like 9

Yeah House did the same thing with a condition called Vulvodynia which is extreme pain in the genitals which pretty much completely stops a woman being able to have sex or even wear underwear or ride a bike or whatever. I have a form of it called vestibulodynia which is extreme pain upon vaginal penetration, and they actually don't really even understand the cause of it, let alone how to accurately treat it. Some women experience relief from many months of treatment, some can never be cured. A lot of doctors don't even know much about it and will tell you to 'relax' more, or even suggest you get nerves in your spine snipped so you can still give your partner sex but you can't feel anything, pain OR pleasure, ever again in your genitals, like wtf? Anyway on house, he literally gave the woman a round of botox injections up her hoohaa and she was able to have normal penetrative sex with her husband again. Er, it doesn't work like that. I found it super offensive because it gives people a really warped perspective on 1) how easy this condition is to treat (it's not easy, and is often untreatable) and 2) that vaginal penetrative sex is the only important sex act. It would have been much better if they'd showed it accurately and the couple had instead gone to the effort to learn different types of sexual intimacy that didn't have to involve him shoving his penis inside her - because that's really the most realistic thing you can do in this situation *sigh*. Anyway, that along with the episode about 'asexuality' completely turned me off the show. If they can get these two quite basic sexual things so wrong, imagine all the other more complicated medical things they're getting completely wrong. I haven't watched the other shows you mentioned, but in Big Bang Theory Sheldon did start wanting sex and the creators came out and said he wasn't asexual.

Interestingly enough though, like 8 or 9 years ago an NZ soap opera actually had a guy actively exploring his sexuality, and he eventually realized he's asexual. Then a sexual character in the show tries to have a sexless relationship with him. Gerald is non-libido asexual but it's still quite interesting that such an old and relatively unknown show went to as much effort as they did to try to accurately portray asexuality. Now if I ever mention asexuality to anyone in NZ, they'll usually say ''Oh yeah, like Gerald on Shortland Street!'' haha, so it definitely helped for visibility of asexuality.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sootmouthnz/videos

Turns out a lot of these are all blocked in NZ haha, but maybe you can see them? It's Gerald's whole storyline as he explores his sexuality :)

I definitely agree. I don't personally watch much tv other than the news, but I do have issues with the way asexuals are presented. I saw a show recently where they said A was for ally in LGTBQIA, but I don't remember what it was.

I also agree with alicio about the type of representation. We aren't all sad, lonely nerds and science geeks, though I am pretty nerdy. :D

• Like 6
Cobaltprincess

I know!!!! We need it.

Maybe one of us should write something. I mean, if the author is ace at least the representation would be accurate. Right?

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, alicio said:

totally agree.

There is literally no representation in the media. You have to search for it, and it's usually only subtext.

Another huge issue is the type of representation asexuals get. It's always the sad, lonely nerd. The germaphobe or the science geek. Some representation that wasn't just broad stereotypes would be nice.

Sigh, maybe one day.

Indeed. This is why I still criticize how The Big Bang Theory and Sherlock represent them. The Big Bang Theory way sits nearly next to how House show did. Both present it as something pathological where it can be "fixed" by either medication (House's way to fix it) or social intervention (The Big Bang Theory's show way to fix it). Sherlock's representation still somewhat falls into the atmosphere of the pathological, but not entirely or as bad as previous show. Still, they present it as something related with sociopathic or psychopathic behaviors.
I don't know how Shadowhunters show it as I never watched the show. Only Bojack Horseman have succeed on doing a good representation.
I think the need is a must. I say this because I didn't knew the importance of fictional representation until I was exposed to it with the Bojack Horseman show. I even shed a tear, and made me feel better about myself. It's as if I need it.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, FictoVore. said:

Yeah House did the same thing with a condition called Vulvodynia which is extreme pain in the genitals which pretty much completely stops a woman being able to have sex or even wear underwear or ride a bike or whatever. I have a form of it called vestibulodynia which is extreme pain upon vaginal penetration, and they actually don't really even understand the cause of it, let alone how to accurately treat it. Some women experience relief from many months of treatment, some can never be cured. A lot of doctors don't even know much about it and will tell you to 'relax' more, or even suggest you get nerves in your spine snipped so you can still give your partner sex but you can't feel anything, pain OR pleasure, ever again in your genitals, like wtf? Anyway on house, he literally gave the woman a round of botox injections up her hoohaa and she was able to have normal penetrative sex with her husband again. Er, it doesn't work like that. I found it super offensive because it gives people a really warped perspective on 1) how easy this condition is to treat (it's not easy, and is often untreatable) and 2) that vaginal penetrative sex is the only important sex act. It would have been much better if they'd showed it accurately and the couple had instead gone to the effort to learn different types of sexual intimacy that didn't have to involve him shoving his penis inside her - because that's really the most realistic thing you can do in this situation *sigh*. Anyway, that along with the episode about 'asexuality' completely turned me off the show. If they can get these two quite basic sexual things so wrong, imagine all the other more complicated medical things they're getting completely wrong. I haven't watched the other shows you mentioned, but in Big Bang Theory Sheldon did start wanting sex and the creators came out and said he wasn't asexual.

Interestingly enough though, like 8 or 9 years ago an NZ soap opera actually had a guy actively exploring his sexuality, and he eventually realized he's asexual. Then a sexual character in the show tries to have a sexless relationship with him. Gerald is non-libido asexual but it's still quite interesting that such an old and relatively unknown show went to as much effort as they did to try to accurately portray asexuality. Now if I ever mention asexuality to anyone in NZ, they'll usually say ''Oh yeah, like Gerald on Shortland Street!'' haha, so it definitely helped for visibility of asexuality.

Turns out a lot of these are all blocked in NZ haha, but maybe you can see them? It's Gerald's whole storyline as he explores his sexuality :)

Oh damn. I no longer watch the show much for the medical reasons. I am studying medicine, and I can tell you they make a lot of mistakes. For instance, they made lumbar puncture laboratory as if it's something routinely done. It's in fact one of the last thing one do as a doctor, unless one is 100% that the patient has cerebrospinal fluid infection, or if it's needed.
The important word is "perspective". One of the friends I confess my asexuality began to ask if it was in fact of my hormones or if I had some sexual trauma. While I kinda felt insulted, I held myself calm and explain her that it was not the case. This is because I remind myself that human asexuality is not very well know, or it's not even believed.
I haven't watch NZ. Maybe I will try to see the videos if I can. Thanks. :)

11 minutes ago, Cobaltprincess said:

I know!!!! We need it.

Maybe one of us should write something. I mean, if the author is ace at least the representation would be accurate. Right?

I really hope that one day an asexual writer exist, or do that.

• Like 1

I feel like many asexual characters on TV and such (e.g. Sherlock Holmes) are also aromantic, which is why they get typecast into the usual extreme stereotype. But realistically, how would a writer even portray a romantic asexual? They would presumably look like any sexual character, except not have a sex scene. Unless the author wanted to make a sex-related conflict between an asexual and sexual partner a major part of the storyline (but why??? snoozefest), there would be no need to even address it. So for all we know, any character in fiction who hasn't yet had a sexual scene written in could very well be asexual. 

• Like 6

Why do I need Asexual representations in fiction? Should a writer go out of their way to represent me, 1% to maybe 5% of the population?  I get that I have a rare orientation, and don't expect representation, or expect it to come from a skewed lens.  Life is tough sometimes.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, -satellite- said:

I feel like many asexual characters on TV and such (e.g. Sherlock Holmes) are also aromantic, which is why they get typecast into the usual extreme stereotype. But realistically, how would a writer even portray a romantic asexual? They would presumably look like any sexual character, except not have a sex scene. Unless the author wanted to make a sex-related conflict between an asexual and sexual partner a major part of the storyline (but why??? snoozefest), there would be no need to even address it. So for all we know, any character in fiction who hasn't yet had a sexual scene written in could very well be asexual. 

Quite true. I don't mind if there is a couple's conflict by having one asexual and sexual. However, at least, the program has to be realistic about it, and even show true issues. For instance, maybe the asexual love romantic gestures or does a lot of romantic gestures, and then show the conflict when the one he or she likes think they just want sex or tries to show appreciation with sex while the asexual show no interest for it.
Also, yes, I would love a show that presents a romantic asexual as I am one. I somewhat feel misunderstood and even alone.

13 minutes ago, Warsaw said:

Why do I need Asexual representations in fiction? 

For various reasons. Which are:
1) The feeling to be known of his or her own identity's existence, or to know that he or she is not alone.

2) To expose others about such identity's existence.

3) Diversity of identity.

4) To help some people accept their own identity.

5) To expose others the problems of that certain identity, or even help those that are in that identity that their problems are also present in others and they can be fixed.

17 minutes ago, Warsaw said:

Should a writer go out of their way to represent me, 1% to maybe 5% of the population? 

This is the writer's decision. I am not imposing any writer to do it. However, if a writer wants to do it, then he or she should try to be realistic of that identity. Moreover, why not show the existence of an identity that 1% to 5% of the population identifies with? I mean, you do realize that the human population is seven billion, right? Presenting an identity from 1% to 5% of is presenting the identity of thousand to nearly a million of people in the world. Also, why should they be excluded or ignored? I mean, they still exist. In fact, I ask: If a disease that is not contagious is present in 1% of the population, should any doctor do any effort to cure or treat that patient?

24 minutes ago, Warsaw said:

I get that I have a rare orientation, and don't expect representation, or expect it to come from a skewed lens.  Life is tough sometimes.

I don't expect it, I endorse it. There is a difference in that. However, when I present my sexual orientation, I end up answering some unneeded or undesirable questions. Exposing the public to the identity, it ease up those questions or help people understand more oneself or others.
Also, yes, life is tough. However, that doesn't mean that we have to make it unnecessarily tougher. If we can even ease it up a little, then why shouldn't we? Why keep unnecessary difficulties for anyone?

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, thegrayace said:

For various reasons. Which are:
1) The feeling to be known of his or her own identity's existence, or to know that he or she is not alone.

2) To expose others about such identity's existence.

3) Diversity of identity.

4) To help some people accept their own identity.

5) To expose others the problems of that certain identity, or even help those that are in that identity that their problems are also present in others and they can be fixed.

This is the writer's decision. I am not imposing any writer to do it. However, if a writer wants to do it, then he or she should try to be realistic of that identity. Moreover, why not show the existence of an identity that 1% to 5% of the population identifies with? I mean, you do realize that the human population is seven billion, right? Presenting an identity from 1% to 5% of is presenting the identity of thousand to nearly a million of people in the world. Also, why should they be excluded or ignored? I mean, they still exist. In fact, I ask: If a disease that is not contagious is present in 1% of the population, should any doctor do any effort to cure or treat that patient?

I don't expect it, I endorse it. There is a difference in that. However, when I present my sexual orientation, I end up answering some unneeded or undesirable questions. Exposing the public to the identity, it ease up those questions or help people understand more oneself or others.
Also, yes, life is tough. However, that doesn't mean that we have to make it unnecessarily tougher. If we can even ease it up a little, then why shouldn't we? Why keep unnecessary difficulties for anyone?

I don't have time to respond point by point, no functional keyboard save my phone, especially in several multiple question responses and dissecting a paragraph into multiple quotes.  Not a criticism, good work actually, but it would take a hour to respond.  Maybe at work where they pay me to stand around for hours.  (A paragraph is my limit.)

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
1 hour ago, thegrayace said:

I say this because I didn't knew the importance of fictional representation until I was exposed to it with the Bojack Horseman show. I even shed a tear, and made me feel better about myself. It's as if I need it.

Same here,actually.-_-

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Warsaw said:

I don't have time to respond point by point, no functional keyboard save my phone, especially in several multiple question responses and dissecting a paragraph into multiple quotes.  Not a criticism, good work actually, but it would take a hour to respond.  Maybe at work where they pay me to stand around for hours.  (A paragraph is my limit.)

I don't have any hurry for your response. Take your time to do so.

1 hour ago, Warsaw said:

Why do I need Asexual representations in fiction? Should a writer go out of their way to represent me, 1% to maybe 5% of the population?  I get that I have a rare orientation, and don't expect representation, or expect it to come from a skewed lens.  Life is tough sometimes.

Pretty much how I feel.

I rather asexuality be represented in educational, legal and other systems before fictional. 

Majority of those who consume media are sexuals. Why would they want to represent us? A minority that has no market appeal that they don't understand or relate to?

• Like 3

I agree with the dissenting opinion. the only need in fiction is that of a creative outlet. as a consumer we are very limited on how we can make requests. you want to see more X? great! but how is that desire going to manifest, mechanically, the actual production of what you want?

I think the saying 'be the change you want to see in the world' is a tall order a lot of the time, but in terms of storytelling the creator gets to make the world from scratch (or boxed world if yer lazy!)  and so it's a pretty ok directive in this situation!

• Like 1

i dont think we do. i like being hidden. i dont want people knowing about aces tbh 

MightyProphet

It's actually kind of frustrating when you consider how uptight people usually are about portraying sex; granted, nudity and sex in general are becoming more mainstream in TV and film, and this movement can be to the detriment of asexuals, but its also weird how it's always assumed that even in pre-watershed programmes where sex isn't depicted that you have to assume that all the romantic relationships are just not showing the sexual side. You'd think that this would be the perfect environment for depicting asexuality, but we're probably more condemned than all the promiscuous people out there.

I've got to confess I've not seen it, but I've heard about a handful of storylines House showed where characters who were asexual as suffering from a medical or psychological condition. I actually had a genuine medical reason for not having sex when I was growing up (won't go into details but it's all cleared up now), but I actually felt that my asexuality probably helped as I didn't have that bent-up frustration that others might have from not being able to have sex, and I was always very certain that not enjoying sex wasn't because of said condition; since I've had an operation I haven't felt any different, emotional. So I guess I find storylines like the House ones where there's a medical cure for asexuality pretty offensive, to be honest.

I know a lot of people don't necessarily want cultural representations of asexuals, but I have to say that I do. I study literature, and I enjoy film and TV, and when you consider how much arts and literature have contributed to the cultural acceptance of other LGBT+ communities, I think it's really important that there are more fictional depictions of asexuals. I don't watch it anymore, but I watched a lot of the Big Bang Theory growing up, and I found the lack of acceptance of a clearly asexual character in Sheldon Cooper really grating, and damaging. It would have been really helpful to have a character so ingrained in pop culture to refer to when trying to explain my sexuality, but I completely lost interest when it became clear that the writers had to normalise him by creating an increasingly hetero-normative relationship; I understand they've now gone further and placed him in a sexual relationship as well.

When one of my favourite shows introduced an asexual character (Bojack Horseman- hence the profile picture) I actually cheered, and for those who haven't seen it, I would highly recommend it. I feel like I've finally found a piece of pop culture I can refer to to legitimise my feelings, and for someone like me, who's been quite buttoned-up about my sexuality for a long time, it's given me more confidence and even understanding. If I'd seen the awakening of Todd Chavez when I was 16, and not the conservative depiction of Sheldon Cooper, then I think it would have made up for a bit of lost time.

I do apologise for the rambling post, but in short- the more fictional asexuals, the better! We're not weird, we're not boring, and, like in the case of Todd Chavez, we can be fucking hilarious as well.  

• Like 3

how do you even write an ace character and have people know they are ace without the character just saying it out loud because i have been trying but i can't figure it out... and i agree ace people need a correct representation of us on tv.

• Like 1
EggplantWitch

(begin rant)

So fucking what if asexual people are in a minority? If I can I can sit through hundreds of shitty heterosexual romance subplots a sexual person can sit through a handful of protrayals of an orientation outside of their boring world view.

The majority of people who consume media are straight. Does that mean that gay people are never allowed to see people like themselves in media? Never feel as though there are people out there who are like them? Does that mean that they're not allowed to have their orientation normalised, so they can feel safer no matter where they live?

Look, fair enough if you feel fine with being asexual and don't care whether there is or isn't representation. But there was a time in my life it made me literally suicidal feeling so freakish and wrong and unlovable. There being representation doesn't hurt you. But there being no representation hurts people who are like how I was. Get some fucking empathy.

(end rant)

• Like 7
Guest Deus Ex Infinity

I had a similiar experience while listening to a random horror audio play last week ( I actually love listening to audio books while being at work or laying in bed at night). There was a group 5 teens or young adults, full of silly redneck stereotypes, having fun in an old deserted logde cabin in the woods...it was just all about "drugs sex & rock'n roll" as usually before the story was supposed to turn into a bloody freak show. Howver, there was this one moment, when one of the guys tried to mock his friend by calling him " the top asexual" nerd of the country (since he always got dumped by women, having no gf). I was really shocked and angry and decided to stop listening to the remaining part of the play immediatedly.

Just another sad example for false representation of aces in public media :(

everywhere and nowhere
14 hours ago, FictoVore. said:

A lot of doctors don't even know much about it and will tell you to 'relax' more, or even suggest you get nerves in your spine snipped so you can still give your partner sex but you can't feel anything, pain OR pleasure, ever again in your genitals, like wtf?

Any more info on that practice? Because this is ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING, quite on par with pseudo-religious and interesex-related female genital mutilation.

• Like 1
Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

My problem with representation is that we can't let it affect other communities negatively, so need to think about whether it's good for a character to be ace when they're a stereotype of people who have generally been desexualised and thought of as incapable of such, whereas having an ace character which doesn't reflect on such stereotypes or is even a representation of a community which has been hypersexualised in representation and media tropes is a serious win. We also need to make sure that characters coming out as ace doesn't ruin a long-running headcanon from another extremely underrepresented group, because sometimes people miss that the character they're headcanoning was a part of constant queer baiting before coming out.

Basically narratives which run counter to the mainstream are absolutely needed, I'm tired of the white cis male rep and even more tired of the white cis male caricature of an autistic person rep, so bring on the ace people  of colour, trans women(both groups are hypersexualised by the media and that trend needs to be thrown in the trash where it belongs), and maybe we could also have some ace women in general, ace autistic people who aren't a caricature and are maybe also quite romantic despite being ace(since not understanding romance is often just a way for "this autistic person doesn't understand humans, or emotions, or have empathy" to be used to code someone as autistic, yet permissible to laugh at -_- ), ace disabled rep can buck the tropes if the ace character with a (specifically physical, though it also applies for most disabled people) disability also happens to enjoy sex with a partner, and finally ace characters who aren't competing with the bi/pan representation-which somehow happens when characters are coded as LGBT+ even though the two should be easy to tell apart. I don't remember exactly where this happened though, but do remember seeing headcanons be shared between us which is awkward!

Oooooooh and if a character is queerbaiting another community, resolve the issue by them coming out as ace BUT ALSO the other! Like, ace and aspec gay, lesbian, bi, pan, trans, non binary, aro/arospec, queer people exist!!! If you have two communities loving a character together, isn't it better to give it to both? Sometimes I don't get writers-actually usually, when it comes to mainstream TV.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, FictoVore. said:

The idea that sex is defined as a male part going into a female part is offensive to gay and lesbian couples. A lot of states have issues with this in some of their laws. Trigger Warning for spoiler.

A lot of rape laws defines a penis entering a vagina as rape, ignoring the fact that there is anal rape and oral rape which are equally harmful. So instead of locking someone up for rape, they get a lighter sentence for "sexual harassment" which doesn't always include jail time.

But ON TOPIC! I love the author Tamora Pierce because she's really good with non-heterosexual characters. She has one chracter that's aro and one that's debated to be asexual.

• Like 2
On 11/30/2017 at 8:58 PM, thegrayace said:

I don't have any hurry for your response. Take your time to do so.

My primary concern is that it would be too bloody boring.  Bilbo Baggins was an Asexual character, I know he was, and it doesn't need to be spelled out for me.  He shaped how I think, and I'm better for it.  We already have literally hundreds of Asexual characters in existance, and you can already identify with them.  Asexuality has always existed, we just recently put a word to it (I would have picked a different word.)

Asexuality was far more popular in the past when sex had consequences, and thus people had a LOT less of it.  There was a direct corrolation between sex and you may die/have babies, and it reflects in fiction.

I also don't really care to read fiction dipicting every color of the rainbow.  It might suit someone else, but I am absolutely fine with a very narrow heteronormitive set of fiction, with Asexuality being nonexplicitly stated in many of these stories.

In the end I don't need every type of person typecast in fiction.  I don't need anyone to go out of their way to write to my identity, because it's been done, at great length actually, you just have to look a little bit.

I will fight to the death for YOUR right to write and read these characters and stories. 

• Like 4
17 hours ago, FaerieFate said:

But ON TOPIC! I love the author Tamora Pierce because she's really good with non-heterosexual characters. She has one chracter that's aro and one that's debated to be asexual.

Wait really? Which character? I love Tamora Pierce but have no idea to which character you are referring. I really want to read this now!

Perilous Poozer

I’m unsure about how that would work - for me being asexual is simply going about my business, having plenty of friends of all genders but not getting into sexual relationships with any of them. How could you write that as an explicitly asexual character without cramming in some kind of clunky coming out scene?

On 02/12/2017 at 11:27 AM, Laurathenerd said:

Wait really? Which character? I love Tamora Pierce but have no idea to which character you are referring. I really want to read this now!

Keladry. 

Another ace fantasy character I like is Granny Weatherwax from Discworld 

• Like 2