‘Asexual’ Now an Official Word in Dictionary

TheLastOfSheila

TheLastOfSheila

"

You can now find the meaning of ‘asexual’ in the dictionary.

Merriam-Webster officially recognized the word Nov. 20, according to Gay Star News. Previously, the meaning of the word was only used in a biological context when talking about plants.

“[People] not involving, involved with, or relating to sex, such as an asexual relationship,” the definition reads.

The Asexual Visibility and Education Network had previously been petitioning for the inclusion of the word.

“A while back now there was a petition to Merriam-Webster Dictionary to add asexual to their dictionary,” the group said in a Facebook post. ”They heard us and we're in it now! It's so great to see our community to get together to accomplish this!”

In 2009, Merriam-Webster recognized same sex couples in their definition for marriage, according to Slate."

http://southfloridagaynews.com/Books/asexual-now-an-official-word-in-dictionary.html

TheLastOfSheila
5 minutes ago, Bloc said:

Here is the entry: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/asexual.

Look for item 3.

Thanks for the link, Bloc.  I think the statement within the definition which reads, "Basically, it is an inborn absence of sexual desire.

—Lindsay E. Mack", might be worthy of some discussion.

I still can't believe how sloppy they wrote the entry. The Lindsay E. Mack quote is from this Romper article: https://www.romper.com/p/what-is-asexual-heres-what-to-know-about-this-sexual-orientation-58420 Basically, she thought that sexual attraction and sexual desire are the same thing, even though they are commonly separated in asexuality discourse and research.

Isn't there already a thread about this or is this a different dictionary?

TheLastOfSheila
20 hours ago, daveb said:

Isn't there already a thread about this or is this a different dictionary?

I don't know, daveb, there could be.  If you find it, let me know.  Maybe one of the Mods can merge them?

scarletlatitude
On 12/1/2017 at 10:05 AM, TheLastOfSheila said:

I don't know, daveb, there could be.  If you find it, let me know.  Maybe one of the Mods can merge them?

Yep. Same thing, different sources. I usually let it stand if it's from multiple sources. The first thread linked directly to the dictionary definition, where as you are linking to a news story. I'm cool with it being two threads. 

58 minutes ago, scarletlatitude said:

Yep. Same thing, different sources. I usually let it stand if it's from multiple sources. The first thread linked directly to the dictionary definition, where as you are linking to a news story. I'm cool with it being two threads. 

Cool. Thanks! :D 

Archived