• Announcements

• Kelly

New Team members Needed--Moderator, Project Team, and Declass Team: Voting   12/10/13

See:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164659-new-declass-team-member-needed-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164657-new-moderator-member-needed-qa-co-mod-and-world-watch-mod-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164656-new-project-team-member-needed-resources-and-education-director-voting/  
    • Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
Sign in to follow this  
nikarose7

Finding relationships

nikarose7

I was here for several months a couple years ago, and I think I'm back now.  I spent some time trying to pretend/convince myself that I was someone that I am not.  It's tough to want to be in a relationship and be asexual.  I also feel like I have so many limiting factors for who to create a relationship with.  I'm Christian, Libertarian, female, and about to earn my doctorate (finally!). There's so few people though who seem to share even one of these significant similarities to me, let alone two.  At the same time, my family keeps asking me when I will get a boyfriend or when all these things will be happening for me. As an asexual adult, how do you meet other Aces?  Also though, how do you avoid falling into the trap of dating just anyone who is asexual?  I'm honestly a fairly happy single. Being asexual is a part of me, but not all of me, and certainly not the most important part of me.  I want to be in a relationship with someone who shares my values, can challenge me on a board game or a video game, and has similar thoughts about some things but can debate everything else.  Where do these people exist?  

Zenzencat104

There’s websites where you can meet other asexuals, just search “asexual dating site” and you can find several sites for this, with them all being 100% asexuals, demisexuals or graysexuals.

Blue Phoenix Ace

Visit the meetup mart sub-forum here on AVEN. If you live in a metro area, you'll probably find a meetup near you.

Even then, you might have a hard time finding another asexual to date. You might give OkCupid a shot since you can list your sexuality there as asexual. The more questions on OkCupid you answer, the more you can narrow down your preference for who you would be interested in. Good luck!

smack12776

OP,

I really relate to a lot of what you are saying. Last year I attempted 'dating' to see what the scene has evolved into in the past few years. It was an extremely unpleasant situation where personal boundaries were constantly crossed. I'm in my 40's and the gentleman I was casually seeing was almost 60 and it was hard for him to understand what my intimacy needs were and were not. Looking back, I now realize it was because he was just ending a long term marriage and really didn't know what his intimacy needs were and were not.

That dating um...situation(?) lasted 5 weeks. 

I've tried a few of the dating sites for asexuals and even conventional dating sites and they can be challenging. Conventional sites, in my opinion, really are biased in favor of individuals looking for physically intimate relationships. One of my friends is very sexual and she has tried them all and really given me the inside scoop of what goes on. And sites for asexuals are bare bones, slim pickin's. Literally.

I've met really nice people doing volunteer work in my community and at local meet-ups for hiking. Attending educational seminars is also a great way to meet people who are stimulated by intellect. I keep telling myself that I'm rare and so it is going to take a lot of time before I encounter someone who presents what I'm attracted to who is also attracted to me (because it's definitely a two-way street). I've also made peace with being alone for the rest of my life.

So, there are people out there like us and for us. It might just involve being innovative and creative, trying new things and going new places. And being flexible. At least that's what I'm telling myself 8)