"Oh, its stupid and not real"

Kinky?Asexual.

How has your experience been?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. How has your experience with your asexuality been as of right now?

• I have yet to come out to anyone
    • i've come out to my friends
    • i've come out to my family, they are really supportive
    • i've come out to my family, they're indifferent/unsupportive

This poll is closed to new votes

Kinky?Asexual.

Of course my brother, whom i look up to very much, has to be so narrow minded and completely look down upon the LGBTQ+ community and people who are "different". I tried talking to him about asexuality and he said it was something people made up in order to cover up the fact that they don't have a partner/ or have been in few relationships. And i bring up other things LGBT, he just laughs and says they aren't real. I asked him what would he say if i told him i was asexual and he replied with "I would tell you that you are saying that just to be different and get attention, and you shouldn't be that self centered."

Wow, so supportive.

I'm baffled by that ostentatious ignorance of some people. And I'm not even talking about those who think that being a part of LGBT+ in any way is a some sort of attention seeking behavior. Why do some people think that "If you are different then you must be thirsty for attention"? Like, are you blind?

I get you, my mom reacted the same way. She needed scientific proof that aseuxaly existed as a sexuality and not as a form of mental trouble or a phase.... And some of my friends were also not supporttive at all. I'm choosing the people I'm telling now, and it's always kinda nerve wracking. Hope you'll be able to tell some supportive people as well! 

I am not asexual but I also didn't come out to my family but weird thing is they might know that I like girls cus I am not subtle about it :D 

Edit : I am not asexual but it's just a general think about coming out wanna just share.Idk.

Hermit Advocate

Deny his existence. Give him an existential crisis.

But he does have a point; asexuals are not really human, we are all secretly gods. So revel in your godhood and don't let the mortals define you sense of self-worth.

Haha. You go asexuals and aromantics! <-- why thank you! What pantheon do we belong in?

I've came out to my best friend and some of my classmates and everyone was okay, but I have this thing when I make only LGBT+/MOGAI friends somehow (idk how ¯\_(ツ)_/¯), so I'm not in the least surprised they are okay with it.

everywhere and nowhere

"Indifferent" and "unsupportive" are very different things. It's not that my mom and cousins support me. But they also aren't judgemental. They are just indifferent. My mother is not a person who expresses her thoughtfeeling very much, so I'm not entirely sure how she feels about my asexuality. But she also never said things which would indicate expecting me to get married etc. Long before I began declaring myself as ace, I had been saying things which amounted to something similar, such as a total "no" to having a heteronormative family - I have been saying that I won't have children and won't marry since I was 5 years old. Then my family didn't treat it seriously, now they see that it's very unlikely to ever change... Plus they had seen me have no relationships, they had known my extreme discomfort with nudity, which kinda indicates that I'm unlikely to be able to deal with a sex-including lifestyle... So, basically, my mom has had a lot of time to get used to the idea of never becoming a grandmother. I don't think she cares much about it.

But actually, I have had the most support so far from a friend, a highly sexual trans woman. Mutatis mutandis, our experiences have been surprisingly similar. For example when I told them that I experience not wanting to want to have sex as much more defining then simply not wanting to have sex or that my whole life would have to change to "enable" me to desire sex, she immediately recognized these thoughtfeelings. She said things like: even when dealing with gender dysphoria, with bullying from intolerant people is hard, she wouldn't want not to be trans - because it would mean becoming an entirely different person.

Sleepy Skeleton

Friends only, I don't really care what my parents think. It'd make my life easier if they knew and I didn't have to hide it as much, but I don't want to have to deal with all the stupid comments I know I'll get.

Came out to 1 internet friend, because I tell him everything. Had a deep talk with another friend who I told. Told an ex-friend when he was trying to make me feel bad, saying I would never get a girl-friend with my attitude. And a bunch of ex-coworkers when one of them tried to hit on me (we became pretty good friends after that, but she wouldn't let me forget she wanted to be more than friends).

so 4 people + random coworkers.

I joke a lot about Schrodinger's closet with my orientation, as I don't feel any need to come out, but I don't need to modify my behavior to hide my orientation. 

That said, over the years, people have asked about my orientation, especially when I came out as trans, so a fair amount of people know of my orientation now. I think my dad gets my asexuality better than my mom, which is kind of ironic because I suspect that my mom is on the ace spectrum herself, but both parents support me nonetheless.

Ive came out to a few people, and most don't accept it. I just shrug, since I am a pretty private person anyways and their opinion doesn't affect me whatsoever. 

My friends are really supportive, they accept me for me, my mother is so so with it, my sister and my fathers side of the family won't have anything to do with me, I'm seen as gay, a let down to the family, an embarrassment, in my fifties, never married, no relationship, no kids, the narrow minded family believe that if you're not married with kids in your twenties, you must be gay, so my homophobic family who have no understanding of the word asexual, I am alienated from the family.......

Yesssss!!!

• 1 month later...
girlwiththelongskirt

I came out to two of my friends last week and they didn't make a big deal out of it (they asked why I thought I was ace, because not that long ago I had a crush on someone for the first time, but they did it in a realy nice/loving way). I haven't come out to my parents/brother/sister because I don't think they would realy understand, but that is fine with me, I don't have such a strong bond with them anyway.

WinterWanderer

I've come out to a couple friends and my siblings. Friends have been generally supportive. One sibling is indifferent, the other thinks it's not a real thing. I refuse to tell my parents, as they're conservative and old-fashioned and wouldn't understand. I've also not told some friends for the same reason. It's not worth it to me to argue over it with people. Not many people in my life really need to know about my love life, or lack thereof, anyway.

So I've had mixed responses from friends. Some are fine with it (luckily these are my closest friends) and some just seen it as me needing help getting sex<_<

Family wise, only told 1 sibling who reaxted badly but found out years later it was a joke. Yeah that one hurt.

I have never been "in", so no need to "come out". Can't vote :(

Archived