Legal rights on Enby titles and names

⚸ Hughesation ⚸

⚸ Hughesation ⚸

Hi all; Hughes here!

Today, I had a conversation with a buddy here on AVEN, who got me thinking about the legality of certain titles, e.g. Mx, and so on. Since I'm sure many people wonder about being able to use the names and titles of their choice, I thought I'd start this thread, where we can discuss what is legal in those regards, in our countries/areas.

I'm lucky enough to live in England, where so long as a name or title is not being used for fraudulent purposes, you are entitled to use whatever suit you. That's right, even at work or on your passport/medical records.

I learned this today (lucky me) and have the source right here.

So, let's share our knowledge on legal rights, when it comes down to names and terms of address!

Thanks, and Thanks again!

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

Yesssss, this is an important topic. But of course, there's also the question of what sort of reception people have received in different parts of their lives after changing titles, since legality still doesn't mean they feel safe in doing so.

So, officially legal vs socially legal, right? Can both be discussed here?

⚸ Hughesation ⚸

A

1 minute ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

Yesssss, this is an important topic. But of course, there's also the question of what sort of reception people have received in different parts of their lives after changing titles, since legality still doesn't mean they feel safe in doing so.

Absolutely; I feel also that reception is an important topic, as it impacts whether or not we feel safe expressing our gender identities... Which in turn means that the Enby populace are underrepresented in the community, allowing them to remain largely invisible; it's a self perpetuating cycle of inequality, sadly.

But yes, please let us discuss!

⚸ Hughesation ⚸
Just now, Tortuga said:

So, officially legal vs socially legal, right? Can both be discussed here?

Yes, both can and should be discussed - but it is helpful to differentiate for clarity's sake. :D

Archived