Gender-neutral words for second degree relatives

swirl_of_blue

swirl_of_blue

So there has been discussion on finding gender-neutral ways to call a parent, but how about second-degree relatives like aunts, uncles, nephews and nieces? I have never before thought of this, but yesterday had a discussion with my friends on not wanting children but being okay spending time with one's siblings' kids. Eventually I had to call myself an aunt ("but I like doing.....aunt things with the kids sometimes"), and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I know that many languages actually have much more complicated ways of addressing one's parents' siblings than English: in Finnish there is only one word for aunt, but two words for uncle, one for father's brother and another for mother's brother. But I can't think of any way of addressing someone gender-neutrally, outside of using something very clunky and artificial-sounding like "sibling to the children's parent".

Do all lauguages have only gendered words for second-degree relatives, and does anyone here know if there are established words already in use by NBs? Naturally I won't be using English language words when speaking my native Finnish with friends and relatives, but at least I could get some ideas of how I could call myself.

Groovy Teacakes

I know someone who uses pibling (as in a contraction of parent's sibling) in the place where aunt/uncle would typically be used. I think nibling is sometimes used in place of nephew/niece (although don't quote me on that, I'm not 100% sure). I don't know anything about Finnish, but perhaps that's useful?

Luftschlosseule

Related hoomans just popped up in my head. As in "And those are the other related hoomans, friend."

flagsforhippos
38 minutes ago, Groovy Teacakes said:

I know someone who uses pibling (as in a contraction of parent's sibling) in the place where aunt/uncle would typically be used. I think nibling is sometimes used in place of nephew/niece (although don't quote me on that, I'm not 100% sure). I don't know anything about Finnish, but perhaps that's useful?

Nibling is very sweet. I think pibling would be cool if shortened to pibby, I can imagine my niblings calling me pibby.

nanogretchen4

I just read Provenance, a science fiction book where when people reach adulthood they identify as men, women, or nemen. The characters use "nuncle" for a neman sibling of a parent and "nother" for a neman parent. 

Nibling is an actual word, pibling isn’t tho.

also just gotta say, “nibling” is the cutest word

Archived