Frustration with Sex and Romantic Relationships in Movies and TV Shows

Taylor3

I am asexual and aromantic and I am often very frustrated with all the sex and relationships in movies and tv shows. It seems relentless and it is making it harder to accept my asexuality. Whenever I watch a movie with a cute romantic couple it always makes me hate the fact that I'm asexual. I've never met anyone asexual in person, so none of my friends or family understand what it feels like to be asexual. With no one in my life that is asexual, and almost zero people in popular culture that are asexual, it feels very isolating. Representing minorities in movies and tv shows is so incredibly important to help people feel less alone. It makes me so mad that there is not a character in mainstream culture that openly talks about being asexual. It reinforces the feeling that I think a lot of us have experienced, where people do not think asexuality is a real thing. Every time I see a happy/cute couple on screen it makes me wish so badly that I wanted that, because it seems to be what everyone wants. I hope I'm not the only one who's experienced the "wanting to want that" feeling. I would definitely be open to any pieces of advice that people have for overcoming that feeling! 

So what are you doing here? Who are we? What's the meaning of AVEN then?

This very network is proof that there are hundreds out there who fall under the term 'asexual'. You are not alone.

The feeling of isolation is understandable. Why don't you chat up with people here on AVEN? You may find friends :-) You may meet them someday.

Also, why is the need to get distressed about T.V. shows and movies when in reality they are created with an intent to entertain and sell! They are fake!

The make up, the characters, the situations, the emotions, all of it is fake. I see no point in comparing real life with reel life. If it distresses you, start treating

it all consciously as someone's imaginary world, stop watching all that. Be rational about reality T.V.

8 minutes ago, MaxAmoeba said:

So what are you doing here? Who are we? What's the meaning of AVEN then?

This very network is proof that there are hundreds out there who fall under the term 'asexual'. You are not alone.

The feeling of isolation is understandable. Why don't you chat up with people here on AVEN? You may find friends :-) You may meet them someday.

Also, why is the need to get distressed about T.V. shows and movies when in reality they are created with an intent to entertain and sell! They are fake!

The make up, the characters, the situations, the emotions, all of it is fake. I see no point in comparing real life with reel life. If it distresses you, start treating

it all consciously as someone's imaginary world, stop watching all that. Be rational about reality T.V.

Hundreds? No, tens of millions. With 100,000 people on this site.

Still i think too that this community is great to find people like us but I would love to see more asexual aromantic characters on massive media as well as more gender variety. Wouldn't it be nice if random people in society knew what you are? Or respect you for being yourself because there's a representative that they can associate with the community and have seen in a movie or series. And have a cool fictional person representing the community like a hero in a movie or with a plot that doesn't involve a love interest or showing off their sexual capabilities. There are some but they are not declared and compared to the overwhelming majority... there's not much to say.

Speaking of gender, I can't understand either how people in movies and other media classify robots as female and male robots, or things that shouldn't have gender are gendered anyway... like the programs in TRON... it's not cool...

I might not be the best emotional support out there, but the others are right and you are definitely not alone. :cake:

One thing I understand is that allosexual alloromantics rule over this world, so it's only natural to see such couples in mass media. What I will never get is that sexuality is often overused which drives me nuts, especially in my favorite medium (manga/anime).

I've always wanted a thread of movies that didn't have sex or romance in them. Maybe we can start them. 
Example: I've probably watched Moana 10 times because its a pure story about friendship with no hintings of romance

Anyone else have movies/shows/books that fit the no sex, no relationship criteria?

On 5 December 2017 at 1:11 AM, Miss Wrong said:

I've always wanted a thread of movies that didn't have sex or romance in them. Maybe we can start them. 
Example: I've probably watched Moana 10 times because its a pure story about friendship with no hintings of romance

Anyone else have movies/shows/books that fit the no sex, no relationship criteria?

I used IMDb to find good movies. Hope this list is helpful

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls051507148/

Archived