Name Change Timing? And Mom...

ReyGraves

I think I’ve settled on James as a middle name, I like how it sounds and it has familial connections. 

Now, I’m gonna be turning 18 in a few months and that’s when I can change my name legally without parental approval/involvement. I think it would be easiest to change my name after graduation but should I it do it the summer before I start college or after I’ve started college? 

Or would before graduation be better? (I mean I guess any time would be an okay time but what time would cause the least confusion? I guess paperwork for college wise?)

Also, how would I tell this to my mom who has barely been calling me Rey? Like, I think she’s overall supportive but is taking time to accept this. How would she react to me wanting to change my name leaglly? She already has said that she feels like she’s “losing her daughter”. I’m worried about what she’ll say to me changing my name legally. I already feel so distant from her and I don’t want this to be what broke the camel’s back. She wouldn’t cut me off or anything but our relationship would definitely be strained. 

Thanks for reading.

tobi.is.a.gross.nerd

I think you should do it as soon as possible to eliminate as much confusion as possible when it comes to paperwork. 

Also with your mother. I feel like there are two main ways it can turn out. 1) The legal changing of your name will help her realise that this is you and that she doesn't have a daughter to lose. She has a son to gain. or 2) it could cause some trouble or turbulence.

Overall I think you should go through with it asap because this is who you are, and doubt from your mom shouldn't make you doubt yourself. 

I really hope all of this works out for you! I'm here to talk if ever you need someone :)

Archived