how do I accept myself

snufflechops

The title is really bad but whatever let's do this!!

I'm 19 years old and have been identifying as an asexual for a few years now and I think I have had this little problem all this time. I can't really accept myself and my asexuality?? None of my close friends or just friends in general are asexuals and for some reason I feel like I have played into the not being asexual role so hard just to not stand out? even if my friends are totally supportive of me being asexual I still can't seem to properly express myself and how I feel about certain things because I know that they won't relate to those things. And at one point I just felt like I didn't even know who I am anymore. My own behaviour makes me uncomfortable, not speaking about my thoughts and feelings makes me feel so lonely. I tried to talk about it with my closest friends and they said nice things as they always do but it didn't help for long. I really need advice on how to accept myself so I can stop living like this because it's making me really miserable :(

I don't know if this makes sense, if it didn't and you want to know what I was trying to say you can ask me, I'll try my best to explain how I feel! 

Don’t think about what you think others will think when you say something, it doesn’t have to be relatable, just be yourself and perhaps you will accept yourself, it works for me.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

There are so many people and forums on here that you can air everything related to being ace, that even if your friends don't get what you mean, people here will, so in a way you have two worlds to relate to. Probably you have lots of topics you can discuss with sexual friends that won't set you aside from them, so maybe capitalising on those for the moment, until your sexual friends are more open to learning more about asexuality, could be the way to go, just an idea.:D:cake:

6 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

There are so many people and forums on here that you can air everything related to being ace, that even if your friends don't get what you mean, people here will, so in a way you have two worlds to relate to. Probably you have lots of topics you can discuss with sexual friends that won't set you aside from them, so maybe capitalising on those for the moment, until your sexual friends are more open to learning more about asexuality, could be the way to go, just an idea.:D:cake:

Sounds like a good idea! I'm really glad I found this website, I think it will help me a lot :D

15 hours ago, Zenzencat104 said:

Don’t think about what you think others will think when you say something, it doesn’t have to be relatable, just be yourself and perhaps you will accept yourself, it works for me.

You're right, maybe they will understand better how I feel if I am more open about it. Thank you for the advice! :)

Maybe try to find an LGBTQIA+ group in your area. Not all of them are knowledgeable about asexuals, but they could be. Regardless, I've found that my offhand comments about my asexual experience is better received in these groups, regardless of their previous knowledge about asexuality. I've found having a community really helps with acceptance. 

Archived