Computer nightmares

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

For a long while, I've been having problems with printing out /sending my CV to various job websites. Evidently my CV is in ODT instead of DOC. So, I've just spent the last 2 hours ping ponging back and forward to my daughter trying to sort it out. Eventually she gave up and asked me just to email it to her. Now I'm in the unenviable situation of having to ask her to send it off for me! 

Also, if I try to access AVEN fom anywhere but my laptop, my laptop no longer recognises me, password or not.

Is it just me, or do any of you have these nonsenses in your daily life? If so, what crazy computer problems exist out there? 

If the .odt file is from a word processing program you're using, open the file in that program, do a Save as, and see what other options the program offers for file formats. Most have either .doc or more recently .docx formats. If your software doesn't have those options, try copying the contents to Google Docs and use it. 

my computer hasn't had any problems since I got it. except it keeps disabling the night light button as if to say "who are you kidding, you'll still be wide awake 3 hours from now" <_<

If your using Libra (linux word) Microsoft will auto convert it back into Windows format iirc. And vice versa. So every time you edit and save, it will convert to whatever document writer you are using.

Space-Ace-Android

I had quite a few computer issues with AVEN!

Here are a few;

• Pressing enter deleting the entire post
  • I could not get the cake emoji in the right place :cake: (I can now :))
  • Pressing backspace deleted my entire post
  • Putting an emoji down deleted my whole post and so did importing an image!
  • Just other stuff that deleted my post...
  • And the colour thing not colouring my words, /_(0.0)_/ (Look I made a thing)
  • Das' it!

Do you want a slice?

• Image result for  Cake
  • Have a great day and good luck with your computer issues!
3 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Now I'm in the unenviable situation of having to ask her to send it off for me!

Just ask her to convert the CV to the DOC format, so you can send it off yourself.

My laptop's fan can get very loud sometimes and I found a forum post (not on these forums) on how to easily fix it, but once I had managed to unscrew all of the screws except one, it turned out to be stuck. After endlessly trying to get it out without damaging the computer I finally gave up and now I'm stuck with the loud fan. The fan also used to lower the sounds on the computer or mute it entirely, but luckily that was easier to fix.

It doesn't help either that I have sensitive ears and can't listen to louder sounds (or specific type of sounds).

I also have a problem with the printer being too old for my laptop to recognize it, so I tried my old table computer instead but it had given up on life and froze every time I clicked anything.

10 minutes ago, arokani said:

My laptop's fan can get very loud sometimes and I found a forum post (not on these forums) on how to easily fix it, but once I had managed to unscrew all of the screws except one, it turned out to be stuck. After endlessly trying to get it out without damaging the computer I finally gave up and now I'm stuck with the loud fan. The fan also used to lower the sounds on the computer or mute it entirely, but luckily that was easier to fix.

It doesn't help either that I have sensitive ears and can't listen to louder sounds (or specific type of sounds).

I also have a problem with the printer being too old for my laptop to recognize it, so I tried my old table computer instead but it had given up on life and froze every time I clicked anything.

When a laptop's fan (and sometimes heatsink fins) gets filled with dust it causes the fan to speed up because it has to work harder to cool the system. Of course, fans can just get noisy as they get old and need replacing. Cleaning the dust is at least more straightforward (usually) and a paintbrush can be useful. There are disassembly guides out there. I don't know if that's what you followed?

Have you tried manually locating the driver for your printer via device manager?

5 hours ago, The Unknown Warrior said:

When a laptop's fan (and sometimes heatsink fins) gets filled with dust it causes the fan to speed up because it has to work harder to cool the system. Of course, fans can just get noisy as they get old and need replacing. Cleaning the dust is at least more straightforward (usually) and a paintbrush can be useful. There are disassembly guides out there. I don't know if that's what you followed?

Have you tried manually locating the driver for your printer via device manager?

This is a brand new computer, it's a problem with the model. It's easy to fix, apparently takes just a small piece of straw in the right spot, but I'd need to get it open to do that and with the screw stuck I can't. I can't afford having a repair shop open it for me either, so I'll just have to live with it for now.

Yes I have. I've had my father who works in IT try as well to no avail.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@Moonchaser, that's what she suggested, so I made an attempt to change to doc.x, but it made no difference. I don't have Office 2016, but I'll be looking now!

@bikecycles, yes, I sent it to her and she emailed it back, suitably sorted (or so I think), but apart from having starred it so I don't lose it, I guess I'll have to copy and paste it into a document. Thanks for advice, all! I need to learn more about these things...

Do you have a sewing machine screwdriver @arokani. I've heard that freezing the screw will shrink it enough to loosen it for the screwdriver. never tried that myself yet though.

Really interesting to see the problems with the site as well, this is useful for ironing out anything that might be site glitches, as well as individual computer problems.

On 25 November 2017 at 9:25 PM, The Unknown Warrior said:

Ahh, the joy of computers. Yes, I've had many issues over the years but having built my own PCs since my teenage years I've found ways to solve most problems. :)

@The Unknown Warrior, can I bring my old laptop to you in Cornwall as here, no one seems to know what they're doing, a friend of mine in Reading sorts out my computer at present.

@chandrakirti, you wouldn't believe how much trouble I get with my laptop, I must admit, it is very old technology now, when I needed it most, it kept packing up, I can no longer use a printer with it, luckily the library is only a two minute walk away, but it got so bad, I bought the iPad I'm using now from a second hand shop, it works brilliantly, connecting to wifi instantly, it does exactly what I want it to.

My biggest issue with my computer is the constant 'windows updates' notifications. Always at inconvenient times too.

4 hours ago, oldgeeza said:

@The Unknown Warrior, can I bring my old laptop to you in Cornwall as here, no one seems to know what they're doing, a friend of mine in Reading sorts out my computer at present.

They sure do get more problematic as they get older. I worked as moderator for Micro-Star International on their global forum for a number of years so read about all sorts of issues. These days the biggest performance upgrade you can make to an older computer is to replace the hard drive with an SSD - that's if it has a SATA port!

4 hours ago, Moon&Stars said:

My biggest issue with my computer is the constant 'windows updates' notifications. Always at inconvenient times too.

Yes, they can get annoying! Thankfully, there are settings to at least help make them less intrusive.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@Moon&Stars, that's what separated my laptop form my computer! A 3am windows update....<_<

@oldgeeza, my local library doesn't have the benefit of a printer, so I have to go to the job hub and they don't copy anything unless it's job related. thankfully these CVs definitely are!

1 hour ago, The Unknown Warrior said:

They sure do get more problematic as they get older. I worked as moderator for Micro-Star International on their global forum for a number of years so read about all sorts of issues. These days the biggest performance upgrade you can make to an older computer is to replace the hard drive with an SSD - that's if it has a SATA port!

@The Unknown Warrior, you could have been talking any language there, I am a total computer numbnuts

Archived