What would I be?

NoMansWifi

Man it's been a while since I've been here, and it is good to be back.  However, I've returned with questions that I would like some help answering.  I am actually starting to question my gender identity, and would like some other people's opinions on the matter, even if you would just say I'm the same as before.  (Skip paragraph to list if you'd like...)

So I was born a female, and never really had fun putting makeup on myself, or enjoyed wearing much at all.  I would be okay with a little bit on the occasion though (weddings, parties, graduation, etc.).  I literally don't own any girly clothes, my closet is just full of hoodies and unisex things.  There have been times where I've seen guys and girls wear a tuxedo and wanted to try one.  I've recently cut my hair short, realllly short, and have now been mistaken for a male on multiple occasions.  The thing is though, I don't mind it at all.  My family thinks I should just go around punching people when they call me 'mister' or 'sir', but I still don't hate them, hold a grudge, nor feel that they were being ignorant.  I'm just cool with it, it's kind of enjoyable.  And personally I kind of always wanted to be a guy, but was always perfect with staying female.  It felt like I would be going out of my way to just change my gender when I was fine as a woman.  My friends have usually been guys too, but when it comes to partnering with people in class, I tend to feel more comfortable with the girls (is this even relevant?).  I've heard that it's really offensive to be mistaken as a different sex, so I still don't know what I'd be considered.  Maybe I just have a calm personality?  List below of everything to simplify what I'm saying and maybe more:

• Born female
  • Not a makeup person, but okay with some
  • All unisex clothes, no girly ones
  • Short guy-like hair
  • Fine being mistaken/referred to as a male, not offended whatsoever
  • Kind of want to be a guy, but cool w/being female

"Would these be relevant?" Bullets:

• Questioning romantic orientation, but probably heteromantic
  • Only ever liked guys before
  • Mix of manly features, only really on the face though

Sorry about this being so long, I was just really confused and my mind took one thought to the next level, and now I'm here.  I'd really appreciate any help I could get though.  I just need some confirmation from another person.  If you need more details then feel free to ask!  I'm alright with anyone just saying that I'm a tomboy, or cisgender (That's what you call someone who identifies w/their birth gender right?).  So thank you to anyone who can help me here!

17 minutes ago, NoMansWifi said:

I've heard that it's really offensive to be mistaken as a different sex, so I still don't know what I'd be considered.  Maybe I just have a calm personality?  List below of everything to simplify what I'm saying and maybe more:

• Born female
  • Not a makeup person, but okay with some
  • All unisex clothes, no girly ones
  • Short guy-like hair
  • Fine being mistaken/referred to as a male, not offended whatsoever
  • Kind of want to be a guy, but cool w/being female

"Would these be relevant?" Bullets:

• Questioning romantic orientation, but probably heteromantic
  • Only ever liked guys before
  • Mix of manly features, only really on the face though

Sorry about this being so long, I was just really confused and my mind took one thought to the next level, and now I'm here.  I'd really appreciate any help I could get though.  I just need some confirmation from another person.  If you need more details then feel free to ask!  I'm alright with anyone just saying that I'm a tomboy, or cisgender (That's what you call someone who identifies w/their birth gender right?).  So thank you to anyone who can help me here!

When thinking about these things, I always recommend to ask yourself questions, reflect a bit about your thoughts:

Does putting on (or even liking) make-up mean you are female? Does it mean you are feminine? Does the owning of girly/feminine clothes mean you are a female? Or that you like feminine clothes? Do hoodies imply you are not female or just not feminine? Does short hair mean you are not female, or does it mean you like short hair? Do you think everybody is offendet if they are mistaken for a different sex? (I personally am not offended by this.) Does being offended by this or not being offended tell you anything about being different or not?  What do you mean you kind of want to be a guy? What does being a guy mean for you? What does it entail?

In my opinion, just go with whatever feels right. If you feel the need for something else for you, you will know. If you are okay and just reflecting and thinking, that's okay, too.

There is a difference between gender expression and gender identity. You can be the "manliest" person in the world and still identify as a girl, or be the "manliest" person in the world and identity as male, or non-binary. You shouldn't feel the need to be another gender just because of how you express your personality or who your friends are. Whether or not you identify as male, female, non-binary, etc. is down to how you identify yourself. It is not based on what other people see you as. You are yourself. What yourself is your descision.

4 minutes ago, Lichley said:

There is a difference between gender expression and gender identity.

Sorry about the way I worded it.  I was afraid that the terminology I used would be incorrect when I posted this, and I should've checked to make sure it was right.

Hiya! First off I'll preface this with saying I'm a transmale myself, and I'm openly quite feminine.

Someone of the things you say remind me of myself but I digress, I have a couple key points here.

1. Only one person can define your gender; you.

2. The question that will ultimately help you is: Do you feel male? Do you feel female? Do you feel like something in between or neither? Gender is something you feel, how you feel will be the real defining factor.

On 24.11.2017 at 11:56 PM, NoMansWifi said:

Sorry about the way I worded it.  I was afraid that the terminology I used would be incorrect when I posted this, and I should've checked to make sure it was right.

Don't worry. Just be yourself.

Archived