Rewatched Star Trek: DS9, found something I missed earlier...

Robin Mok

Jadzia Dax is my favorite character in the Trek franchise, but I certainly didn't take much notice of what she says in season 1 episode 2. When Dr. Julian Bashir courts her, she says her species don't look for romance the way humans do. 

Spoiler

She never says she is a-romantic, in fact the selection of her dates often astonish her colleagues because they are not considered conventionally beautiful or "datable." I think the symbiont in her wants her to look for experiences, live beyond them, and pass them down to the next hosts. 

I don't think she is an aro/ace representation (from human perspective anyway,) but I like these few lines a lot and wonder if anyone finds it interesting. 

Screen_Shot_2017-11-24_at_11.24.52_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2017-11-24_at_11.25.02_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2017-11-24_at_11.37.28_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2017-11-24_at_11.56.20_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2017-11-24_at_11.25.34_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2017-11-24_at_11.25.48_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2017-11-24_at_11.41.16_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2017-11-24_at_11.26.08_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2017-11-24_at_12.04.47_PM.pn

Screen_Shot_2017-11-24_at_12.05.14_PM.pn

(btw Alexander Siddig plays Prince Doran in GOT) 

(BTW, for members who replied to my other topics, I found it difficult to reply back, I sometimes don't know what to say to your kind words... but I keep them in mind. Thank you) 

(This whole thread is likely going to be spoilers, so I won't hide this text.)

There is definitely some version of romance between Jadzia and Worf later on in the series - it's just based on something different than flowers, charm, and gentle sensuality, which is what Bashir aims for when wooing his love interests. Ezri Dax in the last season develops some romantic chemistry with Bashir, so it's more based on personality. Curzon (Jadzia's predecessor) valued camaraderie and daringness, with their rewarding offshoots, much more than he would've valued romance. I'm sure Jadzia felt Curzon's influence far more strongly than Ezri did. It just seems to me that Trill personalities and emotional complexities are just as diverse as humans, but socially they may put on a different show in displaying emotions towards other people. They also probably feel more cautious about developing romantic feelings because they know they, as a symbiant, will outlive everyone they ever love. The heart heaviness probably gets worse each lifespan.

I do like how Jadzia is the anti-romance character in this exchange, because in real life I see much more of this hetero interplay between a romantic man and less romantic (in the whimsical it cheesy sense) woman than most popular culture portrays. In the 90s when DS9 was aired it was probably even more prevalent.

2 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

(This whole thread is likely going to be spoilers, so I won't hide this text.)

There is definitely some version of romance between Jadzia and Worf later on in the series - it's just based on something different than flowers, charm, and gentle sensuality, which is what Bashir aims for when wooing his love interests. Ezri Dax in the last season develops some romantic chemistry with Bashir, so it's more based on personality. Curzon (Jadzia's predecessor) valued camaraderie and daringness, with their rewarding offshoots, much more than he would've valued romance. I'm sure Jadzia felt Curzon's influence far more strongly than Ezri did. It just seems to me that Trill personalities and emotional complexities are just as diverse as humans, but socially they may put on a different show in displaying emotions towards other people. They also probably feel more cautious about developing romantic feelings because they know they, as a symbiant, will outlive everyone they ever love. The heart heaviness probably gets worse each lifespan.

Previous host's partners can create problems for joined Trills, which shows up when one of Dax's previous spouse's shows up on DS9, given rise to a tricky cultural situation between Jadzia and Dax's previous partner.

There's also that time Ezri tells Julian that Jadzia did like all the attention he gave her as well, to the point where he almost had a chance.

Archived