Another is gonna be disappointed

Nea Rose Symphony

Nea Rose Symphony

OK so.... Story time, sit tight

Back on Halloween a month ago, my company had a costume contest that I tried out. I dressed up as a half fox-half human type of outfit, fox tail and ears from Walmart with face paint. When it was time to strut around the cubicles, a male at this one cubicle handed me a candy and was like "nice costume". I thought little of it but it was odd

A few weeks had passed and he'd, like, greet me during times he wouldn't be busy when I'd pass to clock in and out. At this point I started feeling awkward because I sensed what was happening. He was catching feelings...

Then a week ago I bumped into him when my break was ending, exchanged names to be civil. And he remembered my name after I shared it only once. While I don't remember his exact name lol. Uh oh. I really think he's getting a thing for me, an asexual who's very, very aromantic. If it really is what I think it is, he's gonna end up being one very disappointed coworker

On Wednesday two days ago, my mom and I worked the same shift that day so we carpooled. As we were leaving together he said "Bye [Nea] have a nice day" and my mom wondered about that. I internally groaned because I knew what would happen next. Yep. On the car ride home she said something about him being a potential husband, she wants grandkids she can be in the lives of, he can use his paychecks on me. I said no, I can adopt her a grandkid if she really needs one that bad and why have him spend money on me when I have my own money. She called me practical. That, and I don't want to be dependent on anyone

I've hardly ever had anyone into me... 3 people having interest in me this year. That's a new record... I... I don't know how to react. This is all so weird! Now I'm wondering if I'm even romantic at all or if I'm romance favorable (in theory) aro

Edit: I forgot to mention but he apparently tried to impress me by sharing his workout routines after knowing I walk during my work breaks? Not doing a good job of it. Besides I'm not a major workout lover, I just want to keep my weight down

Tl;Dr: someone at work is acting like he's caught feelings for me for the past month and I really don't know how to take it as someone who is mostly aromantic and fully ace

I dunno if I would worry too much about it unless he does anything overt, like ask you out directly. Still, if he's making you uncomfortable, you can always subtly avoid him, like if he comes up to you just say, "Oh, hi! I actually have somewhere I need to be, sorry," and make yourself scarce.

Nea Rose Symphony
2 minutes ago, biblios said:

I dunno if I would worry too much about it unless he does anything overt, like ask you out directly. Still, if he's making you uncomfortable, you can always subtly avoid him, like if he comes up to you just say, "Oh, hi! I actually have somewhere I need to be, sorry," and make yourself scarce.

Ye lol. He mentioned taking walks during break together and I was like "yeah... maybe. We'll see" instead of an outright "yes I'd love to!"

I've already been thinking of shoot downs in case it does happen. I'm debating whether I should come out to him since the entire department could find out through word of mouth. I could say "I'm not into men sorry" but that could come off to others as me being lesbian which I'm not. I'm thinking saying I'm either celibate or I don't date coworkers as plausible excuses

In my honest opinion, just saying that you are already into someone else works wonders for shutting down people when they have feelings for you. I've had it used on me numerous times.

Nea Rose Symphony
21 minutes ago, LoStSouLs said:

In my honest opinion, just saying that you are already into someone else works wonders for shutting down people when they have feelings for you. I've had it used on me numerous times.

Good idea. Could make up a fake boyfriend or say the guy I had dated for like 2 weeks before going back to friends is still my partner

On 11/25/2017 at 2:40 AM, Neapolitan_Cat said:

I've hardly ever had anyone into me... 3 people having interest in me this year. That's a new record... I... I don't know how to react

Same! So many of my friends have come forward and admitted they have feelings for me this year, way too many for my liking being aro/ace.

Luckily for me they've all been super understanding when I'v explained my orientation. Is that worth a shot?

Nea Rose Symphony
46 minutes ago, OpenAce said:

Same! So many of my friends have come forward and admitted they have feelings for me this year, way too many for my liking being aro/ace.

Luckily for me they've all been super understanding when I'v explained my orientation. Is that worth a shot?

Ya. I wish I could comfortably explain my orientation to this guy if opportunity presents itself but I'm not out to my mom and gossip might get to her. I'll probably say "sorry dating isn't really my thing". Way to out myself subtly without actually outright coming out

Sounds good... the best of luck :)

Nea Rose Symphony
1 minute ago, OpenAce said:

Sounds good... the best of luck :)

Thanks. I'll share how it goes once/if it happens

If you would like to take a walk with him, then just take a walk. Dont promise more than you are willing to try to keep. First walk, and talk. Later you can tell about your sexuality. No need to start with that. But do it before you agree on going into a serious relationship.

Archived