A Romantic Orientations Poll

The_Reluctant_Dragon

What is your romantic orientation?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Here are some options:

• Aromantic- lacking romantic attraction
    • Heteroromantic- romantic attraction towards the opposite sex
    • Homoromantic- romantic attraction towards the same sex
    • Panromantic/Omniromantic- romantic attraction to anyone regardless of gender
    • Biromantic/Ambiromantic- romantic attraction towards two genders
    • Polyromantic/Multiromantic- romantic attraction towards multiple genders
    • Demiromantic- romantic attraction felt until a strong bond is made
    • Frayromantic- romantic attraction is felt if a strong bond isn’t made
    • Grayromantic- limited amount of romantic attraction is felt
    • Lamvanoromantic- wanting to receive romantic acts but totally okay with never giving it in return
    • Placioromantic- not wanting to do romantic things to someone but does those romantic things anyways
    • Akoiromantic/Lithromantic- feeling romantic attraction and not wanting those feelings to be reciprocated
    • Quiromantic/WTFromantic- having difficulty understanding different attractions
    • Autoromantic- feeling romantic attraction towards oneself
    • Maromantic/Androromantic/Phalloromantic- romantic attraction towards males and/or masculinity
    • Womaromantic/Gyneromantic/Yoniromantic- romantic attraction towards females and/or femininity
    • Nomaromantic/Noandroromantic/Nophalloromantic- romantic attractions toward anyone who isn’t male or masculine
    • Nowomaromantic/Nogyneromantic/Noyoniromantic- romantic attraction towards anyone who isn’t female or feminine
    • Chameleoromantic- a person who is romantically versatile when it comes to the gender of their partner(s)
    • Other
  2. 2. Here are more options:

• Sapioromantic- romantic attraction towards intelligence
    • Skolioromantic/Ceteroromantic- romantic attraction towards non-binary, genderqueer, and non-conforming people
    • Triromantic- romantic attraction towards three genders
    • Monoromantic- romantic attraction towards one single gender
    • Tryromantic- feeling romantic attraction to someone but willing to experiment with another
    • Reciproromantic- only feeling romantic attraction once realizing someone feels romantic attraction towards them
    • Requiesromantic- not feeling romantic attraction due to past experienced trauma
    • Androgyneromantic- romantic attraction towards androgynes or androgyny
    • Noandrogyneromantic- romantic attraction towards anyone who isn’t an androgyne or who isn’t androgynous
    • Vexromantic- not understanding the concept of romantic attraction
    • Bellusromantic- not feeling romantic attraction and is repulsed, but, are okay with doing behaviors traditionally associated with romantic attraction
    • Borearomantic- having exceptions to your usual orientation
    • Caligoromantic- feeling romantic attraction that is very weak or vague
    • Cupioromantic- not feeling romantic attraction but wanting a romantic relationship
    • Already Picked An Option Above
    • Other
  3. 3. Here are even more options

• Dissociatromantic- someone who dissociates regularly while engaging in romantic activities
    • Apothiromantic- an aromantic who is romance repulsed
    • Pothiromantic- an aromantic who is romance positive
    • Abroromantic- one who’s romantic orientation constantly changes and fluncuates.
    • Idemromantic- feeling romantic and platonic feelings in the same way
    • Idioromantic- feeling romantic and sexual feelings in the same way
    • Neuroromantic- romantic attraction towards people who lack gender
    • Specioromantic- romantically attracted to individual traits regardless of gender traits
    • Sansromantic- without any consistent romantic orientation or preference
    • Noviromantic-experiencing a complicated romantic attraction
    • Apresromantic- only feels romantic attraction after another form of attraction is felt
    • Thymromantic- feeling romantic attraction which varies depending on emotional state
    • Novoromantic- your attraction changes based on the gender(s) you’re experiencing
    • Aegoromantic/Autochorrisromantic- fantasizing about romance or romantic things, but never wanting to do those things or experience those things in real life
    • Ceaseromantic- similar to aroflux, arospike, and arofluid (look down below)
    • Desinoromantic-one who doesn’t experience full-on romantic attraction
    • Other
  4. 4. A couple more options:

• Proquuromantic- romantic attraction towards masculine people when you’re masculine
    • Proquaromantic- romantic attraction towards feminine people when you are feminine
    • Aliquaromantic- not normally feeling romantic attraction
    • Amicusromantic/ Culparomantic- romantically attracted to people you’re platonically attracted to
    • Finromantic- attracted to femme identifying people
    • Fictoromantic-romantically attracted to fictional characters
    • Fantaromantic-romantically attracted to people you fantasize about
    • Intraromantic- romantically attracted to someone with similar systems and traits as you
    • Icularomantic-being aromantic but open to romance
    • Duoromantic-having two romantic orientations that change between each other
    • Casromantic/Medromantic- being indifferent towards romance
    • Antiromantic- being against romance entirely
    • Penulromantic- feeling romantic attraction towards every gender except your own
    • Polarromantic-feeling either extreme attraction or intense repulsion
    • Preromantic- someone who thinks since they haven’t experienced enough attraction, they can’t know their orientation
    • Spectraromantic- romantically attracted to someone who falls in a spectrum of identities and labels
    • Questioning Your Romantic Orientation
    • Compound Orientation
    • Other

The_Reluctant_Dragon

What is your romantic orientation? Choose from the list above, if it isn’t listed, choose “other” and write your romantic orientation down below. 

If you are wondering why there are so many options, it’s because I just wanted to try and include as many identities I can find. Hope you find yours. I did extensive research. If you don’t, I’m sorry. And, if I put the wrong definition with the identity, please inform me so I can change it. Thank you!

Also, sorry it looks so complicated and all over the place. I just wanted to give recognition to every identity I can find and put the meaning of the identity so people will learn what it means. When I was typing this, I only knew half of what is on the poll, so it’s great to learn new things.

Recent Notice: I just added Compound Orientation to the list, so if you haven’t voted yet and you have a compound orientation, choose that one, and, write down the orientation below.

Heteromantic now. Not sure if that's gonna make me get kicked out for not being Ace anymore...

Looks like a chemistry textbook. Not sure if all these labels really help increasing acceptance of asexuality. I have my doubts.

29 minutes ago, timewarp said:

Looks like a chemistry textbook.

Exactly. Chemistry textbooks are filled with terms to describe concepts. Before, when not much was known about science, these terms did not exist. Now they do, because someone discovered the concepts and gave names to them. It's the same with orientations.

31 minutes ago, timewarp said:

Not sure if all these labels really help increasing acceptance of asexuality. I have my doubts.

Frankly, I don't care about the acceptance of those who are only willing to accept the terms that they understand and judge all the rest.

Anyway, I'm quoiromantic.

J. van Deijck

omg so many labels I'm getting lost in them :D

I chose homoromantic, because I'm into guys, but I rather describe myself as demi-homoromantic because it takes some time until I develop romantic feelings to another person. 

I'm demi/lithromantic. I've only ever felt romantic attraction towards people I already was strong friends with but when it was reciprocated the attraction went away, and I've never really wanted it reciprocated either. 

Omni/pan.

5 hours ago, TheAP said:

Exactly. Chemistry textbooks are filled with terms to describe concepts. Before, when not much was known about science, these terms did not exist. Now they do, because someone discovered the concepts and gave names to them. It's the same with orientations.

Ah, this is a good description, yes.

Nea Rose Symphony

Hardest decisions to make in my life lol. "Am I aromantic? ...grayromantic? My desire to date varies but I'm pretty apathetic overall. I could want to date given I click with the person well. But unless I meet and get to know this right person, I'm pretty repulsed by the thought of actually dating BUT I like the idea of dating and romance in general if no real person is involved." Why's it so confusing???

Very, very, very grey person here (done with this butterfly stuff for 15+ years and was definitely enough for the rest of my life).

It's also worth noting that there is no such thing as an "aromantic spectrum". Being aromantic is one extreme end of the romantic spectrum. Either you don't experience romantic attraction, ever, at all, which means that you're aromantic. Or you do, no matter how often or under which circumstances, which means that you're not aromantic. Being aromantic is a point, not a spectrum.

EggplantWitch
1 hour ago, Homer said:

It's also worth noting that there is no such thing as an "aromantic spectrum". Being aromantic is one extreme end of the romantic spectrum. Either you don't experience romantic attraction, ever, at all, which means that you're aromantic. Or you do, no matter how often or under which circumstances, which means that you're not aromantic. Being aromantic is a point, not a spectrum.

I've seen you using this logic a lot lately - I don't outright disagree with it, but if the romantic spectrum has 'romantic' at one end and 'aromantic' at the other... why not call it the aromantic spectrum? It's not a binary thing, as you recognise. Sure, one can say one is either aromantic or one is not... but one can also say one is romantic or one is not, surely? One can be fully aromantic, or one can be e.g. demiromantic, in which case one is closer to the aromantic end of the line than the demiromantic - that's how I feel as a demiromantic, anyway. I look at the spectrum from the other end, so from where I stand it is the aromantic spectrum as far as I'm concerned. (sorry for all the 'one's, the English language has only one word for 'you specifically' and 'you generally' and I didn't want to create any confusion xP)

Anyway, I'm demi-heteroromantic as my label on the sidebar there says. It was a bummer being only to pick one.

On 24.11.2017 at 6:39 PM, EggplantWitch said:

One can be fully aromantic, or one can be e.g. demiromantic, in which case one is closer to the aromantic end of the line than the demiromantic - that's how I feel as a demiromantic, ayway.

That's the thing. If you're demi, you do experience attraction at some point. Hence, you're not aro. That's all there is to it. Zero isn't a spectrum. Demi/grey folks aren't asexual/aromantic.

Yeah, a demi or grey person may be closer to the aro end of the spectrum, but that doesn't mean that they're aro. If I only eat meat at Giftmas, I'm not vegetarian. I may be really really close 364 days of the year, but I'm not vegetarian.

I forgot to mention that I voted "other". I'm leave-me-alone-romantic :D

Nea Rose Symphony

One could say they're biromantic, heteromantic, whatever but if they're so close to nothing then that few instances of attraction could be thrown away as negligible. Just like in math, .0000000001 isn't exactly 0 but for rounding purposes it basically is 0

Wow, that's a lot of options! There are some that don't really make sense, in being called orientation, since it's more of a behavior context than attraction. 

I don't identify with any orientation. I simply don't use labels, but it is fun reading about all the different orientation options and learn about them. 

So my vote is "other". 

Too many pieces of data at once (:3 _ )=

everywhere and nowhere

Ouch... but, on the other hand, respect for being able to compile that. :P

For me these are three relatively simple layers:

First, I have a clear emotional preference for women. I can't imagine having a deep, intimate friendship or anything beyond with a man (that said, I also have boundaries for relationships with women: I'm just psychologically unable to have sex). So the first layer is homoromantic.

Second, I don't think that I could fall in love without knowing someone well. I guess that's usually called demiromantic. Which sucks to an extent, because I learned that dating sites just don't work for me, I can't develop feelings for someone so soon.

And third, I would also call myself quoiromantic, because I don't see a supposed fundamental difference between romantic and non-romantic relationships and feelings. And favorable to the idea of relationship anarchy, because I just think that every relationship is unique and should be defined on its own terms. (Anyway, there are no two people with identical personalities, so combining them into relationships creates even more diversity.) Does a relationship really need to be put in a box with words such as "romantic" "platonic" and so on to be valid? It just is and it isn't identical to any relationsip between any people before.

So I prefer multiple-choice questions about romantic orientation. Unlike my sexual orientation, which is satisfactorily summed up as "asexual", it's more complicated and gender preference only doesn't do it justice.

Yet, on top of that, I have extremely little relationship experience. Just one deep friendship which could have been absolutely perfect if we both had realized everything at that point. She is dead now. I still hope to some day reach that level of emotional intimacy with someone, but so far not even close. There is a woman I'm interested in, but I think it goes beyond the scope of this topic...

Homoromantic, because for now I've found somewhat attractive only people of the same sex. However I wouldn't consider myself strictly homo, I may be attracted to people of the opposite sex one day, who knows.

I use aromantic as my primary label to describe myself but cupioromantic really fits how I feel. Is it ok if I answer both?

omg these labels are getting crazy..so hard to keep up with them all tbh.

but aye if there is people i guess there will be labels.

Aromantic, I'm not sure about cupio or iculo - I would want to actually experience romantic attraction but I wouldn't want to be in that relationship without actually feeling romantic attraction. I have no problem with anyone choosing their label to explain their situation, but I hope if someone picks something obscure they are willing to explain what they mean when they say their identity. I know that can be tiring and google exists, but I think it is helpful because different people might mean different things when they say a label. BTW I feel that to someone that isn't posting in this board the idea of romantic attraction being different than sexual attraction itself needs an explanation but I hope that society generally gets it eventually.

Hermit Advocate

I had no idea that even half of these terms existed. Aromantic by the way. 

The_Reluctant_Dragon
On 11/27/2017 at 5:49 PM, mashandgravy said:

I use aromantic as my primary label to describe myself but cupioromantic really fits how I feel. Is it ok if I answer both?

Do whatever you feel comfortable with, if possible. I don’t know if you can choose more than one option every section, but, if you can go ahead. Besides, I don’t think they’re in the same section anyways, so go ahead and give it a shot.

Now I think about it - I like just to say I'm Aromantic, but feel platonic feelings to the same level as someone feels romantic.

So in other words - someone asking if I'll be their best friend is like someone proposing to me... :)

BEST. DAY. EVER!

Breaking down these crazy labels. they aint necessary 

Fictoromantic-romantically attracted to fictional characters

thats just dumb sorry, why is that a label....we all like fictional characters, thats not something we need a label for god damn. 

Thymromantic- feeling romantic attraction which varies depending on emotional state

so youre basically if i slap you you wont be attracted to me but if i bring you chocolate youll love me..thats so strange wtf

Preromantic- someone who thinks since they haven’t experienced enough attraction, they can’t know their orientation

lets just call this one "doesnt know" 

Womaromantic/Gyneromantic/Yoniromantic- romantic attraction towards females and/or femininity

they like girls....much easier 

Bellusromantic- not feeling romantic attraction and is repulsed, but, are okay with doing behaviors traditionally associated with romantic attraction

thats just dumb. youre grossed out and yet you make yourself do it anyway. so ie..you hate romance and yet you bring flowers on a date. 

J. van Deijck

looking at this, no labels are necessary at all.

10 minutes ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

looking at this, no labels are necessary at all.

Yep. We should all just communicate by grunting and pointing. :P 

arekathevampyre
On Thursday, November 30, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Hermit Advocate said:

I had no idea that even half of these terms existed. Aromantic by the way. 

same here

Archived