Fcc vs Net Neutrality

Ah shit! Please leave the internet as it is! I really hope nothing changes! We've done something like this in the past, correct? Perhaps if folks have the willpower to do so like last time, we can settle this and continue on as normal without the internet breaking? :( 

Also Pai has some large teeth. :/ Don't know whether that's a good or bad quality, it's just something that's very very noticeable.

With all due respect to the OP, perhaps this isn't being talked about because whatever the issue is, it isn't public knowledge. Certainly I don't think it's reached Europe yet 

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

With all due respect to the OP, perhaps this isn't being talked about because whatever the issue is, it isn't public knowledge. Certainly I don't think it's reached Europe yet 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/23/16693840/net-neutrality-us-fcc-global-effect

The United States is a nation quarreling with itself right now. Most of the country’s population wants to keep the internet an equitable and free place, embracing net neutrality rules as a necessary guardian against corporate overreach. But the current political administration seems hellbent ondismantling net neutrality and handing internet service providers the freedom to mold, shape, manipulate, and price internet access in whatever fashion they like. The downsides to this regulatory repeal are too numerous and appalling to list, but you don’t have to agree that it’s a bad idea to see something else important about it: whatever the American authorities do with respect to the internet will have major repercussions for the rest of the world as well.

Net neutrality is very important to me, and it has far reaching effects. Politicians who seek to eliminate net neutrality are declaring that they don't give a shit about public dialogue, new ideas, hard work, small enterprise, upward mobility, or self-determination.

Yeah, fuck this crap. Corporations will totally screw over small sites. The fast lane bullshit will monopolize, and create tiers in the internet. 

I just hope block chain technology gets better before it happens. 

It's all part and parcel of the current administration's penchant for giving things over to big corporations and other powerful entities. They aren't looking after the middle class or the average citizen. They are more about consolidating wealth and power. The only thing we can do as individual citizens is let our voices be heard by doing things like contacting our representatives in Congress (mine are already against things like this), and voting for people who we think/hope/believe will work for us. 

4 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

My stance is that I'm pro Net Neutrality with the additional caveat of extending Net Neutrality to social media websites that have become de-facto utilities themselves.

I don't understand the meaning, may you explain?

9 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

Net neutrality is very important to me, and it has far reaching effects. Politicians who seek to eliminate net neutrality are declaring that they don't give a shit about public dialogue, new ideas, hard work, small enterprise, upward mobility, or self-determination.

That's Trump.  And he will be successful, because the corporations who provide content to the internet want to be able to charge for each particular bit, and the corporations run the American administration.

26 minutes ago, Sally said:

That's Trump.  And he will be successful, because the corporations who provide content to the internet want to be able to charge for each particular bit, and the corporations run the American administration.

Time out. 

SOPA, PIPA, CISPA, ACTP, are the four I recall under Obama that net neutrality came under assault. I know there was more. It has nothing to do with the president.

The gate way of the internet ICANN is now under the UN not through the US. You don’t blame Obama’ for that or the global elites taking over the Internet.

The idea of ending net neutrality has been around for decades. As citizen we need to continue to defeat these bills or measures that get  put up EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Please put the blame behind and realize this issue transcends party lines.

From Fortune magazine (definitely not a liberal rag):

"FCC chief Ajit Pai, who previously worked for Verizon Communications before President Donald Trump appointed him to his role in January, said that the commission will vote to rescind the open internet rules on Dec. 14. “Today, I’m proposing to repeal the heavy-handed Internet regulations imposed by the Obama Administration and to return to the light-touch framework under which the Internet developed and thrived before 2015,” Pai wrote on Twitter Tuesday. (Trump reconfirmed Pai for a five year term in October.)"

This isn’t the first time net neutrality has been under assault and it won’t be the last time. 

I am only pointing out the countless times net neutrality has been attacked in the past. The party affliction doesn’t matter. R or a D next to their name to me means STAY AWAY!!

46 minutes ago, njosnavelin said:

The party affliction doesn’t matter. R or a D next to their name

ha!

Or any other letter, such as I. :) 

You're right that it isn't a partisan issue. I would say it's big business vs regular citizens.

17 hours ago, Iced Milk Boy said:

Also Pai has some large teeth. :/ Don't know whether that's a good or bad quality, it's just something that's very very noticeable.

Reminds me of donkey :lol:

latest?cb=20150119051915

Blueberry Pie

Here is a brief, informative video from the site https://www.battleforthenet.com/. This is a very important topic to talk about, and I hope more people learn about it. I actually only learned about the importance of net neutrality yesterday.

Spoiler

5 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

The argument for Net Neutrality is that ISPs should be considered utilities, which is why the government should be able to regulate them to act fairly to all citizens.

I believe that extremely large websites like YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook are similarly utilities, in that they are the nation's primary backbone for sharing information, and that they should also be regulated to treat all citizens fairly.

I never considered this but perhaps it could make them stop acting in the interests of corporations and advertisers (particularly for youtube and the bad things they do)

Also those sites are not used just by a nation, but much of the world also... so whatever they do has a global effect

4 hours ago, Homer said:

If you want to know what things would look like without net neutrality, Portugal delivers

https://www.meo.pt/internet/internet-movel/telemovel/pacotes-com-telemovel

Not exactly true, Portugal is in European Union which has net neutrality protections

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/22/16691506/portugal-meo-internet-packages-net-neutrality-ajit-pai-plan

based on Meo’s website, this doesn’t look like buying cable channels for the internet. It’s an add-on to general-purpose mobile subscriptions, which let you access any service — including the ones above. The idea is apparently that if you’re into apps like Snapchat and Facebook (or... LinkedIn, I guess), you pay around $8 a month to specifically get more “Social” data, so you can use your regular allotment for everything else. It looks a lot like the “Vodafone Pass” service in the UK, where subscribers can pay for unlimited access to a similar stable of services.

More about the EU net neutrality rules: 

https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/30/12707590/eu-net-neutrality-rules-final-guidelines-berec

The net neutrality rules adopted by the European Parliament last year aimed to strengthen net neutrality by requiring internet service providers (ISPs) to treat all web traffic equally, without favoring some services over others. But the regulations contained several loopholesthat raised concerns among net neutrality advocates, including a provision that would have allowed ISPs to create "fast lanes" for "specialized services," and another that would have allowed for zero-rating, under which certain services and apps would be exempt from counting against monthly data limits. A "traffic management" provision would have allowed telecoms to prioritize internet traffic from some services over others.

Those provisions were clarified under the guidelines published today by the Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications (BEREC). "ISPs are prohibited from blocking or slowing down of Internet traffic, except where necessary," BEREC said. "The exceptions are limited to: traffic management to comply with a legal order, to ensure network integrity and security, and to manage congestion, provided that equivalent categories of traffic are treated equally."

The guidelines prohibit zero-rating in circumstances "where all applications are blocked or slowed down once the data cap is reached," though they acknowledge that some cases are "less clear-cut." European regulators should assess such practices on a case-by-case basis, BEREC said, taking account for factors such as the market share of an ISP, effects on app choice, and the scale of the practice. The regulations also allow for traffic management "under limited circumstances;" traffic management practices that block, interfere with, or slow down services and apps would be banned.

Net neutrality advocates welcomed BEREC's guidelines as a milestone for the open internet in Europe. "Europe is now a global standard-setter in the defense of the open, competitive and neutral internet," Joe McNamee, executive director of the Brussels-based organization European Digital Rights (EDRi), said in a statement. Net neutrality activist Thomas Lohninger, of SaveTheInternet.eu, described the tougher guidelines as "a triumph for the European digital rights movement."

1 hour ago, Member44496 said:

Not exactly true, Portugal is in European Union which has net neutrality protections

Correct. I should've worded that a bit clearer.

Yes, the EU still has net neutrality protections (the issue is back on the table frequently though). I was merely trying to illustrate what to expect if net neutrality was cut :)

I need muh net neutrality! They are so gonna destroy everything :(

Time to go get build my own internet, with blackjack and hookers.

Archived